FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
• MYSTERY TIE . . .
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: • MYSTERY TIE . . . Reply with quote

This may be old news - I haven't seen this mentioned before. Perhaps other's have picked up on this, but I stumbled upon this image and saw a tie that I've never noticed(?) Looks like a coarse knit, but 40's style tie (perhaps wider than the others) that could have come from a thrift store - although I doubt that -

I know various inconsistencies have been discussed over the years. Aside from the various changes in shoes or Gaff's hats, are there other unknown wardrobe anomalies yet undetected?

Curious . . . - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aahh the elusive knitted tie; I'll go more toward the '60s than the '40s on that one. Saw one like that in a vintage store in Ottawa 2 years ago (the right colour but no "wings")...didn't buy it at the time Crying or Very sad
Mitch Magnum PKD
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I'd seen this before (pretty sure I've seen some other photos here as well... B&W if memory serves)
And like joberg I'd been keeping an eye out for something LIKE this unique tie.

Then, out of the blue... Check out this new offering from Magnoli:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/voight-kampff-tie-ties-p-485.html

He's calling it the Voight-Kampff Tie and the write-up says "With a future-retro design, this 100% woven pure silk tie is luxurious to the touch and has a unique sheen not seen in similar style woven ties. The two-tone design and squared-off tip make this a striking piece of neckwear guaranteed to get noticed."
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: OVERTHINKING . . . Reply with quote

It's interesting how the mind's eye can interpret things in the obsessive effort to sort out the details of BR. As with so many of the photos, the details can be difficult. On studying the distorted fabric - trying to imagine what the design might represent, I thought possibility that it was a star design, with smaller stars around it (not thinking that the white flecks might be debris from Deckard's tumble with Pris).

Since the design on the fabric usually wraps around, continuing on the back, I thought that might be the case here, so that you only saw part of the actual design-

I don't know if Magnoli was working from the additional photos mentioned, or if he just made an educated guess as well, but perhaps his is the more valid interpretation and mine simply an "overthink". Smile

I only wish it were in the warmer tones and the (apparently) looser knit of the original. Nonetheless, I will probably place an order.

Thanks for the heads-up, Magnum.

Have A Better One! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid that Magnoli tie is half right/half wrong Confused
It's indeed speckles of dirt that you see on that picture; other pics show the tie without those speckles(interpreted as stars by Magnoli). The N-S & E-W star is right, as well as the small dots and overall circle.
The nit has to be rather thick to have the effect of a "stair"border(on the outside circle it's more visible).
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: KNIT-PICKING Reply with quote

Joberg -
As I stated, it's interesting what others see when studying these photos. As with the past misinterpretations of the BR blaster and its details, without proper reference, it's all just a guess.

I've yet to search further or see the other shots that you and MMPKD have mentioned. Perhaps this would clarify it further. Yes, I DID note the apparent weave at the edge of the "circle" that, aside from the possible texture inherent in the photograph, seemed to indicate the coarse weave of knit ties that were so popular in the early 80's -

I do find it curious that over the years, the various online clothiers (who I should add generally do a wonderful job in their fabrications) for whatever reason can't seem to get the fabric or the colors right Sad

Perhaps this is an effort to skirt any legal action, but if it is a concern over those issues, that seems rather moot. The garments themselves could be interpreted as an infringement. I know from early correspondence that a Canadian clothier had ample reference BEFORE they produced their "orange" V1, and yet when they altered the trench to counter concerns voiced as to the wrinkle-free synthetic used, they still didn't resolve the color issue in the updated garment.

To put so much effort into something so iconic and then miss the mark . . .

Still, for now, they are the best thing/s out there.

- R13
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: KNIT-PICKING Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
Joberg -
As I stated, it's interesting what others see when studying these photos. As with the past misinterpretations of the BR blaster and its details, without proper reference, it's all just a guess.

I've yet to search further or see the other shots that you and MMPKD have mentioned. Perhaps this would clarify it further. Yes, I DID note the apparent weave at the edge of the "circle" that, aside from the possible texture inherent in the photograph, seemed to indicate the coarse weave of knit ties that were so popular in the early 80's -

I do find it curious that over the years, the various online clothiers (who I should add generally do a wonderful job in their fabrications) for whatever reason can't seem to get the fabric or the colors right Sad

Perhaps this is an effort to skirt any legal action, but if it is a concern over those issues, that seems rather moot. The garments themselves could be interpreted as an infringement. I know from early correspondence that a Canadian clothier had ample reference BEFORE they produced their "orange" V1, and yet when they altered the trench to counter concerns voiced as to the wrinkle-free synthetic used, they still didn't resolve the color issue in the updated garment.

To put so much effort into something so iconic and then miss the mark . . .

Still, for now, they are the best thing/s out there.

- R13

Agreed. I will also mention to that I think the outside edges of the main design look to me to be straight angles, and not radiused(sp?). I think the edge curling of the tie itself is making it look that way. Just my opinion though.

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: A GUESS Reply with quote

I still need to find the "other" pictures, but I kind of agree. Again, a bit hard to tell from just this one pic. I think it's possibly a compromise - half way between a straight and a curved edge - like a very-slightly rounded diamond shape. Initially I thought it might even be a stylized sand dollar - very similar in design,but those are 5-pointed -

If anyone could post any other reference shots of the tie(?) that might help solve this little riddle. Otherwise, I will pursue it later . . .

- R13
Kipple
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some other photos featuring this 'mystery tie'. They aren't all that more revealing than the photo featured here in this thread. But, at least we can see where it was featured.

https://sites.google.com/site/kipplezone/kipple/mystery-tie
Kipple
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Deckard's Wardrobe", article featured at BladeZone.

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/costumes/deckard/
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: PICKIN' & KNITTIN' Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics (and the link), Kipple!

While I can't believe I never noticed this tie before, I guess it's all about what your focus is with each viewing. It appears Andy was right - I stand corrected . There is no curvature to the diamond shape. But while Magnoli's may be closer in design than I thought, side by side the proportions/angles are not quite the same. The color of the original still appears to be a dark brown with light gray.

Again, this may all be intentional on their part, taking "creative license". . .

For the most part, I think my questions have been answered. Thanks. - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kipple for the links Cool I stand corrected: I meant diamond shape with the N-S/E-W star Confused Usually, ties are folded in two parts (ply at the back and in the middle of the tie) but for knitted one (specialy with coarse or "heavy"knit) it's a straight design and no folds in the middle.
Soooo, this particular tie is basically one "half design" if you wish.
There's no good/bad way of sporting this tie, since you can reverse it and change the posititon of the drawing from left to right.
If, for the sake of the discussion we look directly at H.Ford the drawing is starting on the left and ending (East side of the diamond and the star)on the right. To boot, there's no loop at the back of the tie as to have the option of reversing it and sport the design facing now the right/left position. Placing the tie against a mirror gives you the full design Wink
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always dug this tie.

DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Pic!

Good to see that the flat head screw is obviously still present on the blaster. Very Happy That answers nicely the question of the screen shot from this scene a while back.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: KNIT-PICKING Reply with quote

This last image seems to clarify that it IS a coarse-weave knit tie . . .

- R13
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen these style of ties in single plain colors like dark blues, browns and blacks regularly at thrift stores. I may pick up a few if I see them again and look at ways of adding the design. I could even use wax to make a reverse mask and bleach out the design. Or just simply use a mask and use a fabric paint to add it.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of tricks to do just that Andy: Stadler has a pen that makes painting fabrics an easy job. Don't forget to respect the "stair"design that the edge of the V makes on each of the knitted points Wink
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: THE THIRD SHIRT Reply with quote

In going through a few online pics that accompanied an article from Tomenosuke about their upcoming blaster kit, I discovered this picture. Taken at the Profiles In History auction, it shows several pieces of wardrobe from Blade Runner, including a shirt, along with a tie that looks somewhat similar to the one discussed earlier here.

A THIRD SHIRT (AND TIE)

Again, this may be old news that I was unaware of (?) - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Dave...never saw that shirt, not the tie before. Agreed: the tie surely fits in a BR World, as the blue tie on Deck's other shirt (on the left of the new shirt) I think they just put it there without any thought whatsoever Confused
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: TYING ONE ON . . . Reply with quote

Yes, good catch, the blue tie doesn't really seem to fit in, does it? - R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: