FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Discussions on cylinder locking mechanisms
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little excited?? Three posts...

I am using what I want to call the "Andy Lock " in honor of Andy thinking of the possibility that the large flat slotted screw might be used to pull in and lock the front of the cylinder.

I now think that is what was done on the Hero gun and I am now doing it on ours.

Both Eltee's and mine have this system, I bought screws with almost the correct head size and the machined then down to thread them with 4/40 thread.

So a big thanks to Andy (our Andy) for pointing that out it makes these shooters MUCH safer.

I am sharing these details freely so anyone trying to build one will know of this important safety system, I looked at the cylinder line up though the barrel with out this lock system and it could and did misaligned.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thought process Andy...and thank you Rich to have explained it in details: it make sense to me now why that screw is on the side plate now Cool
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Doc3D that first came up with the idea. I think I just noticed that the weaver knob lined up with the cylinder crane on the Hero gun and theorized it may have been used on the Hero before we got a chance to see the screw holes inside in the cylinder compartment also lining up, confirming it, and Doc's theory. Doc, for the record used Craig Kovach's method for holding the cylinder in the end for his shooter.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig keep the cone shaped locking part of the injection rod so it still locked the front end in place.

So did Doc explain it in the detail as you did, Andy??

You as I remember campaigned this idea, and I then tried drilling thought a bad casting of a stunt model first and the holes seemed to line up so I then used one of my metal castings to totally prove it.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is Doc's explanation of what he did and why, also showing a Craig Kovach firing gun cylinder detail ...

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1206

I am not sure if this was his first mention of using the Weaver scope knob (or other screw in that location) to secure the cylinder or not, but it does talk about it here. He and I may have discussed it between us too. I just knew when I heard the idea I was convinced it would work, and was very likely what they did for the film gun. As you said I lobbied for the idea. I was very excited when the pics of the inside of the Hero showed up and confirmed it. Not as elegant as Craig's solution, but it made sense when looking at the Worldcon pics. It also seemed to confirm that the Weaver knob was a later add on, and the slotted screw was more likely the one used throughout filming, since the Weaver knob was in no way long enough to secure that cylinder safely.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I see that although he said it once or twice he did not go into detail about it.

So I guess I will leave any name off it...

Or call it the Doc3D&Andy system.

Otherwise in a little while it will become known as the Coyle cylinder lock.

You call it.

Rich

PS How about a vote??
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it was done on the Hero by the the guy(s) that made it originally, the name should be the 'original "Hero" Locking system'. The pieces I discovered on the gun like the Weaver scope knob and radio binding post are often called "Worldcon" pieces. I am okay with that.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am OK with that then.

Rich
Phoenixent
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
A little excited?? Three posts...

I am using what I want to call the "Andy Lock " in honor of Andy thinking of the possibility that the large flat slotted screw might be used to pull in and lock the front of the cylinder.

I now think that is what was done on the Hero gun and I am now doing it on ours.

Both Eltee's and mine have this system, I bought screws with almost the correct head size and the machined then down to thread them with 4/40 thread.

So a big thanks to Andy (our Andy) for pointing that out it makes these shooters MUCH safer.

I am sharing these details freely so anyone trying to build one will know of this important safety system, I looked at the cylinder line up though the barrel with out this lock system and it could and did misaligned.

On the Hero those holes don't line up. If you have a photo of that area you will notice a half hole mismatch also you can see a drill start from the second hole in through the crane. There was no need for perfect alignment of the cylinder to bore for the Hero blank fire weapon. If you plan to fire live rounds through your than that is a different story..... But you have to remember that time is money on set and another screw to hold the crane tight would add more time to the rest of the shot..
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First they do seem to line up.

Second as even a blank has some wadding I think a proper alined barrel to cylinder is a good idea.

Rich

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you so sure about this? We already had a demonstration of the need for this from doc3D and it showed even with blanks it was necessary. The flat head screw would slow down reloading more than a few seconds. Wouldn't make sense if it were a real gun in action though.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weaver knob was also not long enough to keep the cover on tight so it is just a bit loose. Once a proper screw is in there it would tighten right up. It is also missing another screw that should be in front of it.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is that you seem to live/work near LA, and say you are in the business. Have you actually had the hero in hand and know something we do not? From what I have deduced over looking at many pictures and cross checking them, is that they do line up. I see nothing to show otherwise, but have not held the gun in my hand and had the opportunity to double check it by taking it apart, or putting a screw through it.

Andy
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy you need to address whom your talking with...

IF me I had to machine a screw down to 4/40 to make it work.

AND in a film production reloading slowly would not be a problem..

And this prop really make NO SENSE as a real gun.

Rich
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't talking to you Rich, I was talking to Phoenixent, you were backing up what I am saying anyway. I think you posted as I was writing too. I didn't see it until afterword.

And
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem: ships in the night...

Rich
Phoenixent
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
How are you so sure about this? We already had a demonstration of the need for this from doc3D and it showed even with blanks it was necessary. The flat head screw would slow down reloading more than a few seconds. Wouldn't make sense if it were a real gun in action though.

Andy

Andy I am pretty sure about this as it's my job. I have look at and worked on many film industry weapons and this is not an issue with blanks. I am not saying that it would not work better but the wadding shreds when it hit the edge of the bore. Now if you are going to shoot live rounds then that's another story as you want cylinder and bore to line up perfectly. As for the slow down in time of reloading it's more than a few seconds. It a few seconds working at a bench or table but on set you don't have these luxuries as the blank are on a pouch or pocket of the propmaster or assistant handling the weapon. Then heaven forbid that you are doing a night shot and you drop and loose the screw, They really did not have the great little flash lights that we have today on set. Even then the person handling the weapon would load and go then look for the screw. When I first started in the business I was told the that the cost of filming is about 15000.00 a minute and the unit propduction manager would be all over you if you are slowing things down.
Phoenixent
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
My question is that you seem to live/work near LA, and say you are in the business. Have you actually had the hero in hand and know something we do not? From what I have deduced over looking at many pictures and cross checking them, is that they do line up. I see nothing to show otherwise, but have not held the gun in my hand and had the opportunity to double check it by taking it apart, or putting a screw through it.

Andy

Andy

I have had the Hero in my hand and here is a photo of the Hero with the cylinder removed. You can see the mismatch for one also you can see the drill start of the second hole for the left side plate going through the crane. the hole in the right side plate is a large hole with threads in it also.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I too worked in Hollywood and found that with a shooter they was plenty of down time for a reloading and that almost ever load was scene special, say a two shot for "scene one" then a new set up for the next take, which always takes longer that the reloading and again only the number of rounds that the scene calls for.

Take a normal action scene: Hero fires two to his front..he get two rounds.

Then they set up for him to turn and fire three to his right..he gets three rounds.

Then they set up for him to turn completely around and fire one to his rear, again only one round.

They do not like to load more rounds that needed to each set up and scene.

Rich
Phoenixent
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
Andy you need to address whom your talking with...

IF me I had to machine a screw down to 4/40 to make it work.

AND in a film production reloading slowly would not be a problem..

And this prop really make NO SENSE as a real gun.

Rich

Rich

I agree that anyone trying to put any real applications to this film prop is a little out there.

I can also make a 4-40 screw to fit that spot. But was it done on the Hero? I don't think so from examining the Hero up close.

Taking your time reloading is not the problem it's being ready before they are set to roll and do it safely.... Been doing it for years..
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: