FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Fujimi Police Car No 27 Build

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Fujimi Police Car No 27 Build Reply with quote

Here is my take on the new Fujimi kit of the grounded Police spinner....

Thought I'd tackle this one pretty much straight from the box with some minor additions and tweaks....

So first a breakdown of the parts....

Boxart...

Bodyshell has sprue struts that require careful removal from the windows...

Floorpan is in one piece...

Bumpers, cladding and mirrors...these all need painting black...

Interior parts...

Chrome sprue...much of this I'm going to de-chrome and paint...

Some great detail on the parts....

Roof parts....

Roof lightbar....all chrome although the frame should be black....

Roof light lenses....

Wheels and axles...

Decals....

Tyres...

I started by carefully removing the sprue from the bodyshell....

I also chose the parts I wanted to remain chrome....

...the rest were dunked in some household bleach to remove the chrome....

The rear engine bulkhead was attached, parts fit is excellent...

The dashboard assembly is just three parts....

Dashboard assembly and engine compartment test fitted to floorpan...

Underside of floorpan features some nice detail...

There are some minor ejector marks to fill on the rear bulkhead in the cabin...

I also hollowed out the end of engine part C21...

The rear bumper parts are in two pieces which Fujimi tell you to attach separately to the bodywork. This would leave a seam on the corner and also I intend to paint these prior to fixing. I therefore cemented them together...

...by removing the location pins (circled) from the rear part, the bumper assembly can be slid on from each side...

Aside from the two monitors on the dash and a couple of panels on the centre console the interior was looking a little bare so I dressed it up a little with some spare etch....

One oversight on Fujimi's part is that they supply a clear part for the centre of the rear bulkhead in the cabin but not for the triangular sections on either side meaning the cabin would still be open to the engine...

The passenger compartment was given a wash of dirty black over the grey primer basecoat then drybrushed with various shades of grey enamel...the various panels were then picked out in black and aluminium. The seats were sprayed grey, masked, then sprayed matt black. The various switches were first painted matt white then Tamiya clear colours used to give the impression of being lit...

The engine bay was given the same dirty wash then drybrushed with matt white. The various engine and fan components were painted and weathered separately before fixing using CA glue....

I may add some more hoses and cables to the engine area to busy it up a little more.

Underside is matt black, drybrushed with a little grey and khaki then parts picked out in aluminium...

The satin chrome wheels were painted on the faces with matt black enamel, left for ten minutes, then the paint was rubbed off with a dry paper kitchen towel. This left the paint in the recesses giving a nice worn look....

I test fitted the bodyshell minus the windows to check what part of the body was visible inside the cabin.... just the pillars and roof will need painting grey....the fit of the body onto the chassis is exceptionally good...

Approaching completion.....the bodyshell is still loose on the chassis so I can dress up the interior a little more, and there is some touching up to do on the window surrounds....

I've applied all bar two decals and most of the exterior components, it's basically just missing the wing mirrors and the piece at the bottom left of the windscreen....

It doesn't show up too well with the flash but the black bumpers were subtly weathered using very dark greys to give some definition. These parts still require a coat of matt varnish after decalling...

The front and rear lamp assemblies were first painted the appropriate orange and red using Tamiya clear colours then attached using Humbrol Clearfix adhesive...

The nose section is shown as bright silver in the instructions but I elected to paint it matt black which was then drybrushed with aluminium. I then picked out various components with gold and some colours...

The red and white decal on the roof was the most difficult to apply....not only do you need to locate the colour break exactly over the scribed centreline, but the silver edge has to be aligned precisely with the moulded edge of thec part. I used Microset and Microsol to shrink it down over the kit detail...

Tape was used to hold the wiper blade to the glass and a tiny drop of Clearfix applied to ensure it remains in contact with the surface...

Still need to sort out some black decal stripes for the vents on the pillars....

I attached the wing mirrors...remembering to angle the passenger side mirror further towards the driver....and fitted the metal plate to the corner of the windscreen along with it's decals. I've still got to add the black stripes to the window pillars but at the moment I've got no suitable decals....might have to wait until November when I go to the IPMS show at Telford...

All the decalled areas were given a coat of matt varnish and I applied a dark pin wash to all the panel shut lines. I've added some weathering and chipping here and there as I figure something as rugged as a police car would still be made of steel and would take a battering in the acid rain-drenched streets of LA. Also it looks too toy-like if left a pristine white....

Here are some shots I took outside in slightly fading daylight....

Thanks to a link provided on another site to photos of the real car, I added some small changes ....

I painted in the red and blue lights on the front....I first painted them matt white then gave them two coats of Tamiya Clear Red and Blue....

I also painted the triangular panels on the rear quarters matt black. I'm still undecided whether to paint the rearmost 'bar' above the engine opening Aluminium to match the real car as I quite like it white....

One thing I have noticed is that Fujimi got the colours wrong on the rear light cluster...the end light on each side of the rear of the car...ie the ones closest to the doors...should be orange, not red, but it's too late for mine now.....

Last edited by jargonking on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great build for sure(saw it also on the RPF )...now all you have to do is to put outside for a couple of months in the rain, that'll give you the proper wear and tear
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turned out great! All the build/weathering tips were interesting.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding, Thank you for sharing it on propsummit and welcome to the forum.

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: THE FUJIMI KIT - BONUS Reply with quote

NICE WORK, JARGONKING! Very informative.

I JUST got my kits from HobbyLink today, so this will definitely come in handy as I attempt to tackle the police sedan in the future. The detail of these kits is amazing for the scale, but then it's to be expected coming from FUJIMI and Japan. And although some may find faults or imperfections, they are few and most are easily addressed.

SEDAN KIT BONUS
To my surprise - for those who might not know this - the companion kit – Deckard's sedan (at least the first run) comes with a scaled model of his blaster. I didn't know what to expect here. Perhaps others knew this in advance, but I assumed that it would be about the size of the miniature blaster that Tomensuke offered over a year ago - roughly 1/6th scale. I also thought it would be in the form of a kit to paint and assemble . . .

SLIGHTLY LARGER THAN ACTUAL SIZE OF 2.125"

I was wrong on both counts. It's larger and fully built - and nicely painted and detailed (of course) and seems to be patterned after the WorldCon version. For those who are familiar with Sideshow's Premium Format figures (like their early Han Solo or more recent Indiana Joneses), it appears to be about that scale. Although not an inexpensive kit, considering this bonus, it something to be considered.

Oh, if only Sideshow had the Blade Runner license – maybe with the sequel . . .

HAB1! - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with these photos i can now FLESH out my 1/6 scale plans... very excited!!!! Cool
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talkin' bonus there Rep13...good idea from Fujimi Cool it's looking good for sure!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Fantastic job! Solid guide if I ever get round to making one of these Wink
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Cooper is a friend of mine on FB and teased us all this week with a Display Set in the same scale as the 1/12th car... it is an awesome street scene! Shocked
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151218041355238&set=a.10151218040995238.485506.755125237&type=1&theater
Ki-Djowac
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a GREAT job on that model, very impressive Shocked
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy is a big tease for sure Shocked ...now park his Spinner in front and BOOM!! TFS Ben make sure to tell him that it rocks Cool
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: SUPER COOPER Reply with quote

With friends like that . . . Smile Cool set!

But back to the topic - now I look forward to seeing what King does with Deckard's sedan . . .

- R13
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul Bodensiek at ParaGrafix has just announced an upgrade set for the Sedan/Police Car.
Expect some more activity from me soon.... Wink

http://www.paragrafix.biz/product_detail.asp?PPartNum=PGX167#photos
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh...looking good (I like improvements)
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be getting back on with my Sedan build tomorrow as my two ParaGrafix sets have turned up....

Despite having different labels, both sets are identical and provide parts for both the standard cars as seen driving around and the hero interior depicted when Deckard is behind the wheel. The attention to detail is what you'd expect from Paul at ParaGrafix and I can't wait to light one up.
First plan is to upgrade my existing Sedan interior to model Deckard sitting in the car making the call to Pris.
I'm going to use the second set to build a Police version with an open door.....
I also have some plans for a Police Bike to match....watch this space....
Banzai88
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching this space anxiously! Cool
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: MODELING DECKARD Reply with quote

Interested to see what you do with Deckard calling JF/Pris. I might assume you are aware of FUJIMI's same-scale figures kit with both standing and seated figures. Unfortunately, the included standing figures seem to be slightly larger, making the drivers appear to be a bit smaller, or at a slightly different scale(?)

Nonetheless it might be a good place to start . . .

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news jargonking; cannot wait to see what you'll do with the Deckard car. Don't forget, the scene with him phoning Pris was shot in the Spinner car and therefore not showing the real interior of his ride Confused
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Don't forget, the scene with him phoning Pris was shot in the Spinner car and therefore not showing the real interior of his ride Confused

Yes it was the Spinner....you can tell by the curve of the door frame, however from the outside it's the brown Sedan and he has to drive away when the kids rip the aircon unit off the roof. It's one of those things that were done in the movie which the makers never realised would be noticed by viewers 30 years later....
The upgrade set gives the option of depicting the actual interior of the real car....as seen in the Police Museum example....or the Sedan in the movie with the screen-used Spinner interior. I'm happy that the Vid-Phone scene can be depicted using the set and I think the interior will look great lit up....
Bendzhamin1967
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making an interior sufficient to match all three versions was a daunting task for me... the 1/6 scale version has elements of the spinner the sedan and the get-away car interior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: