FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Spinner blue?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Spinner blue? Reply with quote

Does anyone know the true blue closest to the movie? Any particular paint or swatch that you think is the closest?

Also the interior.. am I correct in assuming the seats were black with a silver head rest?

Any colour info would be great Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on that one Beast Laughing There's so many different colours for that vehicule it's not funny! You want the hero car, or the hero model, the small model, the flying car? There's two sorts of blue on it, but again, without a grey scale it's difficult to make out the real tint.
Bladezone and the behind the scene DVD have info on that question.

I went for the light blue outside and darker blue inside. Respecting the tan colour of the seats is also a must (but that's me Wink )
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joberg! The hero car preferably. I can't find any descent lit images of it though. So far the large model car is the best reference. Also I can't find any pictures of the seats being brown, only black. Do you have any references to that?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would try to get away from the tan seat that I saw many times in other models for the simple reason that the Spinner is a regular police car.
Seat should be black or dark blue, I mean with all that rain and wet clothes, how would the tan colour look after a year of usage? Confused
And sure, I would basically try to copy the big hero model for the overall colour scheme. Good luck Beast
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Joberg. I still have no idea where the tan colour for the seats came from
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on that one; I'm still scratching my head Confused
Toombs
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the seats I saw where blue in the real cars that is.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw blue metallic looking seats in a spinner that was on some sort of backlot, though the whole car looked like it had been repainted. The newly restored gene wilbury (sp?) car that has gone on tour has black seats as well as an image from the set of a guy inside the car and the seats are black. Then again as Joberg said there were different versions, guess its just a matter of preference Smile
jargonking
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be going with black/dark blue on mine.
One interesting thing about both the Spinners and the grounded police cars in BR is that they are all two-seaters with no option to put anyone under arrest in the back like a conventional police car.
Presumably they have another vehicle for that....
Toombs
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were blue Gene redid them in black you can see the old ones on the rebuild photo page. So I guess it up to you.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Winfield, friends with BladeZone's Gary Willoughby (same initials, so understandable confusion) built the originals and did the referb of the one for the SF Museum. He also did several versions and a seperate interior that was used for both the flying Spinner interior shots, and Deckard's sedan. Thus the color confusions. Great articles over at Blade Zone about all of it. If you contact Gary (aka GeeDub here) he might be able to give you more info from Gene. Also Bryan Ebenhoch worked on the car restoration and is a member here. Both did the articles at BladeZone. Here are some links...

http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/interviews/gene-winfield/
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner/
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner2/flight_of_fantasy.php
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner_today/spinner_today.php
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/spinner3/spinner_rising.php
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/film/production/props/lostandfound/spinner_and_sedan/spinner_and_sedan.php
http://media.bladezone.com/contents/vehicle_articles.php

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I knew it was one of the GW's! Wink cool, thanks for the info and links andy, will have a read of those on the train.

If any of those guys are present here would be great if they could chime in Smile
Toombs
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I looked through all my crap and found 2 photos of brown seats. This is the 44 car that went to Japan.
Toombs
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many photos of the inside of this car. The other 2 cars and the interior half car seam to have been built with blue seats.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toombs wrote:
Well I looked through all my crap and found 2 photos of brown seats. This is the 44 car that went to Japan.

Yeah this is the pic I was referring too with the black seats. What's the story with the Japan car? I thought this photo was from the eighties! Very Happy
Toombs
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After filming the cars got sold off someone in Japan bought this car and we haven't seen it since then. I go on Google Japan now and then hoping to see a picture of it or anything but there's never any news on this car. Could be gone like the MGM Spinner.
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toombs wrote:

This particular pic is not the spinner that went to Japan. This one is named "The process car" in Bryan Ebenoch's article published in Blade zone: "Spinner car: A flight of fantasy".

Here`s a quote:

"The Process Car

The process car was not a complete vehicle - it did not have wheels, wheel pods, or rear bumper section. The car was basically just a cockpit with an interior that incorporated a collection of working linear readouts, switches and push-buttons and an overhead instrument panel on a pivoting arm. Custom neon was mounted around the dash instrument cluster, rear portion of the windshield and overhead instrument bracket.

Built on a tube steel frame with electronics housed in the rear, the canopy and A-pillars were removable to accommodate the cameras and used primarily for all interior shots of the Spinner and as the sedan.

The prop was filmed on the Entertainment Effects Group soundstage at Marina Del Rey for the flight to Police headquarters, the Tyrell building and to Leon's Apartment. Continuity errors can be noted that light beacons were mounted at the sides of the exterior only present on the Spinner miniature and not on the full-size running vehicles. The process car was also used to represent the interior of Deckard's sedan during the tunnel sequence and making the call to Sebastian's apartment..

For the scenes representing the sedan, the seats were changed to an upholstered beige vinyl mounted within a different bulkhead and the overhead instrument panel was removed. The car was placed on a trailer for use during the filming of the happy ending, the last time it was seen on film.

The prop has never been confirmed destroyed and may remain in the hands of WB. Ridley was no longer involved during the production of the added happy ending and was not on hand to enforce destruction of the remaining vehicles.

What makes these cars different from ordinary prop cars is the amount of detail in the design and realism - curved windshields, drip rails, upholstered seats, collapsible headrests, hydraulic scissor doors, adjustable mirrors, neon illumination. These vehicles were just as impressive to see in person during their various promotional appearances."
Tom Southwell
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Spinner color as I remember it. Reply with quote

When I saw the Preius silver blue a few years ago I thought it a perfect match. Also I'm new to the site and don't do a lot of blogging so forgive my bumbling. I'll get better.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Propsummit Tom ...question: are you the Tom Southwell?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. Pretty sure it is him.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: