FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
"REAL HUMANS" (Äkta människor) TV SERIES
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: "REAL HUMANS" (Äkta människor) TV SERIES Reply with quote

- You created us, we didn't ask to be here.
- And where were you before you came here?
- In you, in your imagination.

I very recently discovered this new swedish series on the french / german channel ARTE, it's called REAL HUMANS (original title is Äkta Människor), and it amazed me ! You could see it as a prequel to BLADE RUNNER, settled at a time where first gen NEXUS are introduced in our lives.
Don't expect the usual Hollywood crap (I mean, with tons of action and guns), it's much more cerebral and very disturbing at times !

Definitely worth a watch, or two, or three... or six !

Cool

Fred

Here is a trailer :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGZO3PX8zGU

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Fred: you're right, good program for sure and it's coming in real life sooner than we think: Japan will introduce personal helper (robot for now) helping nurses and people taking care of their aging population (biggest ratio of elderly people vs young people in society live in Japan) Wink

And thanks to you, the trailer made me practice my Dutch
Baron Von Blondle
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up! looks very interesting!
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot to both of you for the interest !

JB, the series goes even further than what you're talking about... for example, at some point in the story we discover that some women are dating these proto-Nexus... two of them aren't allowed to enter a nightclub because they're both accompanied by their respective "Pacman". The women then decide to sue the nightclub for sexual discrimination. Yep, they consider themselves a sexual minority because they're having a sexual relationship with their artificial partners... problem, for the law it's as if they weren't allowed to enter the nightclub with their washing machine...

Again, this series is very deep and some subplots, themes and issues developed underneath the main storie(s) are truly fascinating. I just hope it's not a glimpse at what the world will be in 20 years...

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken and Barbie goes amok :-]

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
Ken and Barbie goes amok :-]

Not at all...

They have a Ken & Barbie look, yes, but as I told above, don't expect the usual Hollywood crap full of explosions and tough heroes with guns. This series was not made in Hollywood, it was made in old Europe !

Razz

Only a very small bunch rebel against humans (and kill a couple in the first episode) but most of them are well accepted and act kindly. The disturbing themes are in this familiarity with humans and the way both "species" interact... and also in the way "resistance to bots" starts to organize itself... Something that reminds of the way extremists act towards illegal immigrants all over the world, for example.

Fred
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, the movies that are made on this side of the Atlantic are not to everyone's taste, but that's probably why they're made over here, not there.
However, making arbitrary insults simply because something is not to your taste is to say the least, unfair.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
Granted, the movies that are made on this side of the Atlantic are not to everyone's taste, but that's probably why they're made over here, not there.
However, making arbitrary insults simply because something is not to your taste is to say the least, unfair.

Am I really supposed to answer this one ?

Rolling Eyes

Mods, would you please accept to move this part of the thread to the Pit where it really belongs, it would be greatly appreciated !

Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?
Are my comments any more off-topic than your repeated jabs at the American movie industry?
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Canuck wrote:
Really?
Are my comments any more off-topic than your repeated jabs at the American movie industry?

If you'd find a European movie to be totally crappy and say it here I wouldn't have any problem with that. We're all grown-ups here and respect each others enough to accept our differences of opinions and tastes. You have an opinion and I totally respect that...

Your problem is that you're taking the POV of a person who doesn't think like you do as a personal attack pointed at the USA (and you as well ? At least, that's what I can understand from your latest posts).

Again, am I supposed to answer this ? Please give me a break.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the misunderstanding comes from the fact that this is a T.V. serie and not a movie on the big screen (wich is different altogether).

T.V. series are very different in Europe than the ones made in the U.S.
(for various reasons that I will not explore at this point into the conversation, I'll just make 2 bold statements if you permit me).

I think that Europeans focus more on the intellectual while Americans on the physical.

Intellectual as in asking and generating questions on a quasi philosophical level sometimes (relationships, love, live complexities).

Physical as in showing violence (various forms, whether explosions, car pursuit, shootings, etc) and where the human factor is glossed over in favor of the actions.

Those are general views of course. Now I hope we can all shake hand on it Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw two new episodes yesterday night... Once again mindblowing, just like the ones I already saw !

Shocked

I began to notice little easter eggs here and there... For example Hubot (for HUman roBOT) Niska looks a lot like Major Motoko Kusanagi in the first Ghost in the Shell film ! (and she acts a little like Zhora... Yeah, "Beauty and the beast, she's both" !)

Look by yourself :

Pretty cool, hu ?

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Fred...saw 2 episodes on Youtube (dubbed in French), but I couldn't access others from the 1st season Confused I hope I can, because I like it very much.
LA2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are doing a second season of "Äkta människor" on SVT. Not sure on when it will be aired (and I didn't finish the first season, it wasn't all that good if you'd ask me)

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn... Can't believe this... I mean, the episodes that have aired here so far are so good...

Shocked

Why did you stop following the series, if you don't mind me asking ?

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Fred with that question also...I just viewed ep.4 and it's really a good T.V. serie.
Finbladerunner
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The series got high praise here on Finland by press. I watched with great joy at start of 1st season, then somehow lost grip and missed few episodes. Final episodes I saw in reverse order. Last first and few before it aired later. This all mix-up caused me to feel it was better on start. Not sure does it need any 2nd season. Questions remained unanswered, but these might not be the droids I'm looking for. -Sorry; replicants I'm looking for.
LA2019
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
Damn... Can't believe this... I mean, the episodes that have aired here so far are so good...

Shocked

Why did you stop following the series, if you don't mind me asking ?

Fred

Might sound weird but since Im Swedish and like most sci-fi out there this becomes Swe-Fi and that just doesn't work. I recognize the cast and it just doesnt work for me, there have been some good Swedish tv-series but Im not sure Im ready for a Swedish sci-fi series.

Not sure how many episodes I catched but I know about the ones hiding at the lesbian priest and the explosion and the Real Humans resistance group.

The series is out on DVD if anyone might be interested (pretty sure there are no subs thou)

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had difficulties to see the serie on Youtube (sometimes I get a msg that the vid is not available for my country Confused ). So I saw ep 6 last time.

It's just that being "subjected" to mainly U.S. programs, I appreciate an European T.V. series (how refreshing to see better stories).
But as our Scandinavian members have mentioned also, is that the pool of Swedish actors is rather small compared to the U.S. for example (and that can be applied to almost any T.V. series in Europe: you tend to see the same actors again and again in different series).

I'll have to search for the DVD...maybe France or Belgium will have a dubbed version or subtitles with it.
Finbladerunner
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know there is R2 DVD release of Real Humans with some northern europe subs (finnish, swedish, danish and norwegian) no other has been seen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: