FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
‘Give me about twenty minutes’ – ALIEN – Incinerator Unit
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks much better, maybe a smidgen thinner; hard to tell with the hands: Sigourney's are thinner than Yafet's, so the relation thickness vs fingers is hard to tell between pics.
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks joberg,

There is only 4mm difference in width between my new mock up and my old one. Like you say it's hard to gauge from the actors hands. I've gone up a pipe size with the rear tube making that 4mm bigger all-round. That's makes a difference visually.

Here's a short of Dallas firing down. Its definitely not a slim unit!

With all the detail on the sides and then the tanks, it gets even wider and heavier!

Colin
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, but as you have pointed out in your research, what if one was fonctional and the other was?

Wouldn't that be a difference in thickness also? (just typing out-loud Colin Wink ). To differenciate between the two weapon (maybe that's why one is with the hole in the front trigger and not in the other...I mean you don't want someone to accidentally fire that baby around the set Confused
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome info and updates Colin !!! (if only I had more time to help you in your research...)

Anyhow, keep up the good work ! I simply cannot wait to see more !!!

Cool

Fred
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but are those coffee filters on the wall on either side of Dallas in that photo??
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, it's part of a plastic palette to transport some kind of merchandise (I'm afraid I don't know what kind Confused ) I've seen a version like it in Coca-Cola trucks delivering the cola in those big pressured cylinders to restaurants and bars.
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, thanks for the interest.

I'm a bit busy this week but hope to have an update for you sometime next week.

But I think I'm almost there!

Retrgarde, I know what you mean about the coffee filter look. I'm not sure what they are but joberg is right about the bases, they are bread crates or similar.

Colin
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an overdue update on the flamethrower. Finally have a bit of time to post ...Where did those past seven weeks go!

Last time I had pretty much finished my new plans. I just needed to make a decision on the width. As joberg had suggested I was probably closer with my fist attempt.

However shortly after I posted my last update Harry Harris sent me some photographs he'd taken of an Alien flamethrower at an auction around 2000. It looks like the one the Propstore own.

With Harry's permission here are a few of those photographs.

Not only did Harry take these photographs but he also took some measurements off the prop. So armed with this new information I have yet again redrawn my plans.

My last attempt was pretty close and I don't think you would really notice much difference.

Width wise I was closer with my first attempt. Which is good as I thought it was getting too wide. Especially when you add the details to the sides.

On the Propstore photo's (on their site), I had noticed a channel on the underside of the body but I couldn't figure it out. But now with Harry's photo's I can see there is a steel structure which the body is built around.

Here's my interpretation of how it might look.

So the rear tube (steel) is welded to a steel strip. The Aluminium grips are bolted to the strip. The hex bar (steel/brass) is welded, blazed or bolted to the steel strip. It then looks like the bolts on the top of the unit could be holding it all together with some internal spacers!

Also note on Harry's photos the grips are not in the centre of the body (in front elevation) but offset to one side.

I started looking in to what the fuel canister (in the rear tube) and the control valve could be. I plan to make it with these on. Making the fuel canister detachable.

I have a blowtorch with a similar valve fitting which fits the bill.

The can I have for it is a disposable can. I think what's needed is a more heaven duty can like these modern propane cans.

Trouble is these have a larger thread.

Now I've managed to get hold of a refillable 'Primus' canister which are more heavy duty and around in the period the film was made (I think). Typically they have a different fitting again.

There are a few different designs. I think the one I got looks close with the flared end.

What I need to find is a Primus valve fitting with a plastic knob like this one. Most of the ones I've seen are all metal.

I missed out on these on eBay recently.

Finally I was also looking for metal fittings for the strap and came across these boat fitting.

All this metal including the scuba tanks will add to the weight. Good in some respects but bad in others!

Hopefully soon I'll start building...

A big thanks to Harry Harris.

Colin
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking very good Colin (and also a tx to Harry Harris). Since your advantage is to live in the U.K., you're bound to find the stuff they used on the original prop and that makes it more accurate in the end.

I don't need to say that you'll have to keep up the good work, since all your props are always A+. Cool

Eagerly waiting for more posts and more pics of course
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with JB... Brilliant work and research and deductions Colin (and thank you to Harry for the pics) !

Talking about pics, these were posted on the Original Prop Blog today, it looks like the screen used flamethrower is currently exhibited on the Propstore's stand at Comic Con 2013...

Hope it'll help... at least on the (future) paint job !

8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg. Thanks for your comments and kind words.

Fred, those pictures are great. thanks for posting them. They are indeed helpful.

More soon...

Colin
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Colin, it's not everyday you can see photos that show it that close...

Cool

Anyhow, can't wait (as always) for your next update !

Fred
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully some more photo's will appear on the web if it was on show at Comic Con 13.

Colin
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's also what I think... I'll keep an eye open...

BTW there's also a video on WIRED where a girl is "looking for the most expensive item for sale at Comic Con" and at some point holds the flamethrower while visiting the Propstore booth...

Fred
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred, the Wired video was definitely worth a look.
Bit out of my price range (might make my own). A lot of money for something that has lost a lot of detail over the years. Given the choice would I take the flamethrower or the bullwhip!

Colin
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Colin and thanks Fred for the pics: that's what we need: more details, more details Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8th_Passenger wrote:
Fred, the Wired video was definitely worth a look.
Bit out of my price range (might make my own). A lot of money for something that has lost a lot of detail over the years. Given the choice would I take the flamethrower or the bullwhip!

Colin

With that amount of money I'd add a couple of (large) rooms to my house instead !!!

Fred
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOVE THIS!
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Shawn.

I hope to post some more this week.

Colin
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay time for another update.

I thought Comic Con may throw up a few more photos of the Propstore flamethrower but its mostly been covered on you tube. Maybe they had a ban on photographs!

Apart from the video Fred mentioned, there is this interview with Stephen Lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eITMHkob-Fs

Here you get some close ups. Mr Lane talks about the unit, how it's had some restoration work done on it and authenticating it from Pat Lowery's photographs.

This is the Pat Lowery photo in question I presume. This is a frame grab from one of Dennis Lowe's Alien makers documentaries (used with permission).

http://www.zen171398.zen.co.uk/Alien.html

The main differences I see between them is documented below.

Here's an image of Ripley where you can see the Pat Lowery details match.

What does all this mean?

Well nothing really.

The Propstore flamethrower is the screen used one but has some details replaced. Most notably the pony tank and yoke. But the style of yoke on the Propstore's is the same as the ones used in publicity shots with Sigourney weaver. This item was non functional (dressing) so easily replaceable.

So whats happening with my build?

Well I haven't started building yet but I managed to win a pony tank on eBay last weekend. Very similar to the one in Pat Lowery's photo. It matched up really well size wise on my drawings. So I was on the right lines.

When following up my search to find a valve to fit my propane can. I discovered that Primus is linked to a Swedish company called Sievert, who make gas torches and burners etc.

So I need one of these. I think!!

While looking at the Alien Makers documentaries on Dennis Lowe's site I came across an interview with Nick Allder. In the interview he produces a wedge shaped cooker lighter that was used as the pilot flame igniter on the flamethrower. It's distinctive shape is the reason for the wedge shaped vent on the front top of the flamethrower.

I've got an order of EMA/Plastruct arriving this week which will hopefully signal the start of some building.

I'm close to ordering the metal for my internal structure too.

The only thing I'm not doing too well on is the tubing for the rear tube and the emitter. Its possible the steel sizes I've drawn don't exist! So I'm looking at other alternatives.

Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15

Jump to: