FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Surplus Military Props

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Space_Courier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Surplus Military Props Reply with quote

Ahoy! This is my first post on the forums and I wanted to create a thread discussing the use of military surplus in creating the props and set of Alien.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board And yes, as you know, a few clothing items were military surplus (jacket, flight suit) and others heavily transformed (or not).
Btw, therpf.com has also a group dedicated to those uniforms/costumes and ways to transform them as to make them SA.
Space_Courier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Welcome to the board And yes, as you know, a few clothing items were military surplus (jacket, flight suit) and others heavily transformed (or not).
Btw, therpf.com has also a group dedicated to those uniforms/costumes and ways to transform them as to make them SA.

Much obliged! I have seen the rpf forums on this topic and I agree that they are a great resource. I believe there is some debate over whether the jackets were repurposed from MiG flight suits. I wonder if you could recreate a WY crew jacket from a US MA-1 bomber jacket (It wouldn't have the lapels of many of the canon ones, but I think it looks quite cool and it has a basis in aviation).

Also, I believe there were airplane components used in the set for the Nostromo's bridge?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you can't do no wrong if you want to explore the "Alien World Of Costuming" Wink
As far as I'm concern, you can come up with your own design, using Air Force components (from any country) and make them look like something out of that world.

Now, if you wanna be accurate, then you'll have to stick to the canon and respect the whole detailing and such of the costumes used in the movie.

The main thing here is to have fun and enjoy the results
Space_Courier

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I like that, well said man Smile

There's several obvious obvious discrepancies between the jackets/uniforms worn by the different crew members (Dallas vs. Brett's jackets are most apparent in the film), so I think that perhaps it's feasible that Weyland-Yutani, being the huge, intergalactic, and especially bureaucratic megacorporation it is, would have some irregularity in its equipment issuing to crew members, and that therefore there could be several uniform designs in use including possibly some that we do not see in the film.

Eh, just my thoughts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: