FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
PKD-II 2018 MODEL (2013 RECREATION PROJECT FINISHED!!!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: PKD-II 2018 MODEL (2013 RECREATION PROJECT FINISHED!!!) Reply with quote

As many of you are aware, in 2002 I regrettably had to sell my original patterns of the PKD-II 2018 model kit that I made in the early 2000's. All that has remained in my possession since then have been a few busted remnant pieces. Not enough of anything substantial that I could use to restore the model to it's original form. I haven't a clue as to what actually happened to the original patterns. All I see now are a few, very poor, castings of it which appear to be 3rd or 4th generation recasts.

Because I lost total control of my originals, I have been unable to re-issue this kit, like I did, briefly, with the PKD-I, PKD-Magnum, and the PKD-Snub in 2006. Well, rather than try to track down those lost patterns, I have decided to do a "re-creation" re-issue of the PKD-II 2018. I recently shared this with Steve (Hirohawa), who helped me by providing me with some dimensions from his Steyr SL. With this dimensional information, my broken remnant pieces, and my photos of the PKD-II, I have managed to re-create about 75% of the gun in Rhino. Since I am on the downhill side of this project, I thought I would share this with you. The images below are of a work-in-progress, so the model is still in the rough. But, once completed, I intend to 3-D print most of the parts in order to re-issue this model, finally, in kit form.

As you can see from what I have completed so far, I am honoring my original design of the PKD-II, as well as, adding a few updated features, and making some proportional corrections that I have always wanted to make in this model. As with all my derivative pieces, I do not want to make a film accurate gun. Richard Coil mastered that long before me, and the Tomenosuke guns are absolute masterpieces in accuracy. I commend them both for their outstanding work on their respective pieces. I enjoy exploring the, unseen, possible iterations of multiversal objects. I simply cannot help myself, and therefore, I always end up making inaccurate, non-canonical variants. This frees me of the tremendous burden that they have carried so well. As long as I can create objects that have a spatial presence, that just ever so slightly possess a "visual gravity", then I am happy with my efforts.

I hope that you will enjoy the new PKD-II 2018 Model (2013 "re-creation" re-issue. I've got to come up with a better name for it.) Here are a few WIP images. I hope to have it ready for the printer by next week, and ready for molding by July. I will keep you posted here.

Thank you.

www.reddragonkipplecompany.com
www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com

Last edited by doppelganger01 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you back in the game, Rick! And great work! Shocked

Karl
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was FAST.

Looks awesome! It is great that you are taking this model back.

Here are some ideas for a name:

"2018 Reclamation Model"

"2018 Prodigal Son Model"

Love the Dragon Logo on the bottom!

Glad I was able to help even in a small way.

Down for 1!
Very Happy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. I really hope you can keep some of the style of those old guns, and their streamlining that made them so retro cool. I will be watching this for sure.

Andy
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fantastic Rick, Really good to see.

Great work.

Karl
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Rick. I like the fact that your PKDs have their own styling.
Also... if possible, try to have the main trigger located so that it is not too close to the grip (i.e. plenty of space or gap)...noticed that sometimes your triggers appear too close to the grip. (My nit-pick...I prefer a little more room between the back of the trigger and the front face of the grip).

I am still working on your PKD-1 (1997 model issue). I really like the design and I am fitting an assortment of metal parts to same. It will weigh over 3 LBS when finished thanks also to heaps of lead weights I embedded in the body and grip...... hee hee.

I am sure you will come up with a cool name for this new PKD-III model.

Regards
Twisted Evil
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohh, very cool to re-visit the PKD model. I've complete confidence in your skill Rick, so this render is already a beauty.
Looking forward to the final renders, the new molds and what's going to be produced at the end Cool
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To echo the other comments I too really love the uniqueness of the Rick Ross Designs. They are better looking than the real blaster in many ways.

An amazing talent.
Countrypaul
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really pleased that you're re-doing your PKD II

it is easily my favourite interpretation of the Blade Runner Blaster, I actually prefer it to the Hero Prop,

I suppose that the Hero Prop is constrained by it's real world parts & slightly cobbled together nature, don't get me wrong I love the Hero but to me the PKD II just seems a little more refined & elegant whilst still managing to look aggressive.

I like that you created something original but still faithful to the source material rather than slavishly recreating the film gun, I guess it's an example of something exceeding & escaping the bounds of it's source material or something.

Show it to anyone vaguely familiar with the film & they's say "that's the Blade Runner Gun" & it is, it's just when you look closer & compare it to a more "accurate" replica that you realise how clever it is,

Anyway, like I say I love it, great pics, can't wait to see more

Now what would be really amazing would be an all metal, machined, screw together PKD II kit like the Tomenosuke .... for me that would be the ultimate although I know it is probably pie in the sky Very Happy
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all metal version.

be amazing.....

Karl
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it the Phoenix model. Smile
darthwolf7
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A metal version would be EPIC!!! I would be VERY interested in a kit when they are done!!! Beautiful work!!! Very cool!
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exciting!
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...back in the game indeed...In your case Rick more is always better...
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Classic blaster! Looking forward to it.

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"
Ozwepaie
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thing is bad ass!! I love the hard lines. Reminds me of my CTS.
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words and comments. I appreciate them all. I have been able to do a little more work on the model, with some of your comments in mind. I did tweak the triggers some by moving the rear one forward and the forward one back. Nothing is final on this model yet, but I am making progress. Once I have the parts back from the printer, I will have to do a lot of work by hand, not just removing print lines, but by adding sculpted surfaces that will help to blend the parts together better. Surface modeling in Rhino can be very tricky. Sometimes you can spend hours trying to get a surface to curve the way you want it (something that can be done in 5 minutes when sculpted by hand), and still not achieve the absolute desired result. Hopefully, the blending process by hand will dial it back to the appearance of the old PKD-II. I have taken some liberties with some of the elements, though. The final gun will be a little like NOMAD from ST TOS, some of the old with some of the new. Steve (Hirohawa) provided me with the receiver width of the Styer SL that I am using as my bounding box. I've also taken some dimensional elements from the Magnum and PKD-I, along with the remnant pieces I have of an original PKD-II. I have been stretching and pulling on the the digital parts, within my newly established bounding box, in an effort to recreate the look of the PKD-II, and some of the heft of the Magnum and PKD-I, but in a more compact structure. We'll see if I succeed.

www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking solid and sexy at the same time! Keep up the excellent work Rick Cool
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks gorgeous!
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished!!!

Finally finished the recreation of my PKD Mark II 2018 (2015 version). As most of you already know I gave away my original patterns and molds for this version of my PKD blasters in 2002. In 2013, I recreated a printable model of it in Rhino. Recently I finished printing all of the parts (except for the grips, side rod, and both switches). I hope you like it. Thank you for your patience with this project. Now on to the Gaff guns.

www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com

Last edited by doppelganger01 on Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: