FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
PROMETHEUS 2 / Alien Covenant.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: PROMETHEUS 2 / Alien Covenant. Reply with quote

This is very good news for those of us who embraced the original.

http://collider.com/prometheus-2-release-date/

Looks like SRS will be repeating history and probably creating it again by making Alien then Blade Runner, in a fashion. This is Propsummit so all thoughts and views are welcome.

........... SRS Australia visit article update down the page.........

*Willie at therpf posted these first in my old thread, such a guru.

Last edited by Mr Webber on Tue May 23, 2017 5:58 pm; edited 6 times in total
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, if this could be moved to the correct General Alien discussion forum it would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Mr Webber on Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a step back, though, and see that it's the guy who wrote GREEN LANTERN who is writing Blade Runner 2 and Prometheus 2.

And Green Lantern was awful. Shocked
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Karl, it was a mess. I`ve never been a massive fan of the Super Hero genre apart from The Dark Knight and cant see how The Green Lantern
could have been made great anyway.

It would be an education to hear from TGL fans as to what aspects of the writing were most frustrating to them as this guy will be tackling storylines from my two favourite Universe`s. I`ll give him credit for stepping up to the plate on these two though and as always in SRS, I trust.
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimately I didn't care for Prometheus, it was very beautiful but terribly silly with a crew that behaved so remarkably foolishly that I stopped caring about almost all of the them and their fates. The only character I truly seemed to care about was not even human. The whole Chariots of the Gods angle is very tired to those of us that remember the first time that was popular.

That being said, I thought the ending had some promise.
There is something that sounds like something from PKD...
An earth woman steals an alien craft with her android head pal to go put a stick in the eye of "god" and demand answers.
Sadly it took two difficult to watch hours to get to that for me.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prometheus was a challenge but I overlook a lot for good production design.

You can watch the behind the scenes and listen to the director's commentary and easily see how Prometheus went off the rails. For one, Ridley takes a rather whimsical approach to planning the film, changes his mind a lot and basically makes everything up as he goes along.

Comicbookgirl19 on Youtube has a fascinating mini-documentary on Prometheus where she really goes into the specifics of where things went wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSaKxB-8YlE

k
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Karl and yes, while the first one was o.k. I hope the second one will be better!
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actions and behaviour of the "crew" were quite deliberate on Scott`s behalf Ive always believed. They were not a crew in the functional sense,
they were hired civilians at best placed in an extraordinary situation.

Some experts think that most humans living in the West now are actually becoming less "functional" in many aspects of life due to computers and the internet.
What are people going to be like in eighty years? More functional and predictable?

As far as the helmets off criticism, Hollaway did all the right things, his suit science told him the air was fine to breath and with his attitude, it came off.
Ive lost count over the years of how may Starfleet crew have popped up in alien atmospheres in nothing but a onezee and never thought twice about it.

I`m very much looking forward to seeing Ridley Scott make his first sequel, this is unfamiliar ground and a significant departure from his usual process.
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Webber wrote:

It would be an education to hear from TGL fans as to what aspects of the writing were most frustrating to them (...)

Hello, all!

This is an article by Film Crit Hulk, wherein he touches on what is wrong with "The Green Lantern" from a storytelling standpoint.

http://filmcrithulk.wordpress.com/2011/07/07/hulk-presents-the-myth-of-3-act-structure/

If you scroll down a bit, you will find it, you will find it just below the "Skyline" banner. It is not very in-depth, unfortunately. Film Crit Hulk has written a book on screenwriting in which he goes into much more detail.

Still, in general, I personally find his reviews and thoughts are always very insightful.

As for the "Prometheus" sequel, I am not at all sure what to feel. I love "Prometheus" for what it could have been, I hate the film for its shoddy script and its pretentiousness.

Naturally, I will go watch the sequel.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Jens2133. Will try and find something online with the screenwriting book.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS with us Jen2133
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very happy to see the great man Down Under. If as reported Blade Runner 2 begins shooting here as well, will call in all the favours over twenty years in the industry to try and get a set visit.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2636101/Sir-Ridley-Scott-Australia-scouting-locations-Prometheus-2.html
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Webber wrote:
The actions and behaviour of the "crew" were quite deliberate on Scott`s behalf Ive always believed. They were not a crew in the functional sense, they were hired civilians at best placed in an extraordinary situation.

My problem with the script is that everything is so disconnected and without consequence. And, looking at Damon Lindelof's body of work, I think it is his responsibility.

Sure, Ridley Scott must have had an enormous influence on the writing, but it is still the writer's responsibility to connect everything into one coherent story. Damon Lindelof has not accomplished that at all.

For example, there is this tiny moment during the landing procedure where Holloway gets out of his seat because he has spotted something, resulting in Captain Janek ordering him to get back into his seat again. Holloway does not react, nor does Janek in turn. Okay, one might say that Janek is just there for the money and does not give a s***. But that would be incongruent with his other actions, including that self-sacrifice.

Then, there is this incident where Shaw nearly gets herself killed because she has to go after that severed head. I can actually understand her impulse there, but afterwards, again, noone gives a toss.

And don't get me started on the complete lack of interest of everyone in the missing of Fifield and mohawk scientist (wowossisname).

There are dozens more of these moments where there is no real interaction between the characters; it might well be that they are that emotionally disconnected, but it does not show anywhere else in their behaviour.

You are certainly right, they are civilians placed in an unusual situation, but so were the crew of the NOSTROMO. Sure, they had been working together for quite some time and, therefore, were more familiar with each other, but reservedness (as would probably be the case with the PROMETHEUS crew) is still different from the behaviour depicted in the film. There is no consequence, nobody seems in any way affected by another person's (sometimes dangerous) actions.

As I said, it all feels terribly disconnected, just a series of plot ideas that happen to be in the same movie, rather than a series of events that build on one another.

There is this feeling of "and then!... and then!... and THEN!!" to the film, and it just gives me the impression of Damon Lindelof (yes, and, probably, Ridley Scott) being absolutely fascinated with the themes, but having no idea how to turn this into something a human being can relate to on an emotional level. Films do not work well on a plain theoretical level (documentaries do).

One more piece of nitpicking... the helmet business. It was so badly written. Of course, there was this business with terraforming they wanted to shove in, and I can see Holloway's character actually doing something so stupid, or daring, as he would possibly see it, but, again, no consequences. Just a loving "you heroic bastard" smile from Shaw. Should Holloway not have been put in quarantine right on re-entering the ship? Or, at least, should this problem not be brought up by anyone?

This is what I mean by shoddy writing. There have been redshirts that were better developed than the main characters in this film.

Still, I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Addendum:

Milburn. Yes. That's him. Milburn, the Rafe Spall character, and Fifield, Sean Harris' mohawk scientist.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the attitudes and behaviour of the majority of Prometheus`s crew are intended as a snapshot of Western humanity at that point in history and its not a good report card.
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes, you are probably right there. Saw it again yesterday. Maybe the disinterest is intentional; it is thoroughly disconcerting.
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a screenwriter, you strive to get your ideas directly into the head of the audience. Bypassing conscious thought, the written word, the camera, all of it.

We are emotive beings. We like to care about a character and, given half a chance, we will.
Problem is, Hollywood (the studio system) is convinced by marketing people that the audience is a moron. As such, the first thing cut from any script is character development. Usually in favour of a bit more flash bang or sparkly thing to keep us idiots engaged.

Inappropriate actions and reactions just tell us not to trust or care about the characters.

Prometheus for me will always be a Faberge' egg of a film: Beautiful but empty.

Karl
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to promote any discussion on the new projects so this will be my generic position on any online Prometheus issues..... Wink

Keeping an eye out for Guy Pearce to get another gig. Weyland is a fascinating figure, the driving force behind the whole universe and some screen time set around the TED promo would be enlightening. The issue of who runs the company is something else Id like to see explored. Will David be appointed CEO? that's one out of left field. It would allow SRS to apply his canon and remove Yutani from the equation altogether.
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Webber wrote:
Will David be appointed CEO?

That would indeed be a storyline worth its own film, I think. Would Earth's laws allow such a thing? Probably not. So, how could David achieve such a goal (given this were his goal) anyway?
Gosh, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its pretty out there but Scott is on the record saying he wants to do a trilogy and possibly a forth movie so he`s got a lot of screen time to fill.

On the law issue, if collective governments are as slow at keeping up with technology as systems are at the present in the Prometheus timeline then Weyland,
being the pioneer will be setting the agenda much like Tyrell did. He would not be worth his salt as the all time Uber Tycoon if he didn't
manipulate the system to allow him to hand it over to David.

His relationship with his daughter is so bad its not a stretch seeing Weyland leave it all to David out of spite or at least an element of this as part of his overall plan,
a man like Weyland would always have an overall plan most likely devious.

The old man also declares David as the closest thing he`s ever had to a son, whether this is strategic or heartfelt, its important.

There is the issue of all the thousands of other David 8`s getting around and this could relate directly to the law issue Jens,
I`m thinking much like Tyrell not making all replicants equal, Weyland`s David 8 is very special and far more advanced over the production model. Another loop hole perhaps.

How does all this happen?
David gets Shaw to reattach his head otherwise he is unable to pilot the craft. Shaw has to go into stasis at some point even if its to the Engineers home world
its at this point that a sleeper program initiates David to return to Earth, he may just come up with the plan himself being the adaptable creature he is.

Just crazy ramblings really but anything`s possible if Prometheus 2 is not a sequel but a prequel to a possible third movie.
Made an error before, Yutani is a part of the Scott canon.
Jens2133
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love this. Weyland could well have that kind of thinking.
Maybe they could circumvent the law by placing the company headquarters where there is less control, like, say, Mars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: