FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
OUTLAND : CON-AM 27 SHUTTLE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: OUTLAND : CON-AM 27 SHUTTLE Reply with quote

I think it's about time to have a place devoted to this awesome spaceship, the bulkiest thing seen on late 70's / early 80's screens after the Nostromo...

So, as Graham said on his opening post of the Nostromo thread, here is "a place for general discussion and ideas to be thrown around, as well as reference material, concepts, sketches and photos, not just on the models, but also" - "ship layout and the like."

If you have any beans related to this ship, this is the place to spill them !

Fred

.............................................................................................................Above : Johnny Stears (SFX supervisor) posing with the shuttle model

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:37 am; edited 4 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw that pic before Shocked It's true that just after seeing Alien and then looking at the design of Outland, one can make the link between some of the stuff seen on the shuttle (radar at the front and lots of greeblies everywhere else). Also the helmets in the movie are very Nostromo like (lights inside, etc...) I always liked that "High-Noon" in space. Thanks for sharing Fred Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Never saw that pic before Shocked

Glad to see you liked it JB ! It's one of the beans from my archives I wanted to share with you guys... Hope I'll be allowed to discover similar kind of never seen before stuff from other board members here in the near future...

joberg wrote:

It's true that just after seeing Alien and then looking at the design of Outland, one can make the link between some of the stuff seen on the shuttle (radar at the front and lots of greeblies everywhere else).

You're right... I think that if you love A L I E N, you have to like OUTLAND too, because some of the talents behind the first one worked on the second one... I'm mainly talking here about Martin Bower & Bill Pearson, but also John Mollo...
Let's be honest, this film is far from being perfect, but its look and production design directly connect it to the A L I E N world.

joberg wrote:

Also the helmets in the movie are very Nostromo like (lights inside, etc...) I always liked that "High-Noon" in space. Thanks for sharing Fred Wink

... and that leads me to talk about the spacesuits !
I totaly agree with you, there's something reminiscent of A L I E N in these. We'll have to open a thread devoted to these asap !
(i'd like to see and learn more about them)

OUTLAND definitely connects to A L I E N (for its design) and BLADE RUNNER (for the idea of Off-World colonies) in my book. It's going to be interesting to talk about this and link it to Sir Rid's "2 films universe".

Fred
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the ship with the blinky light, right? Smile
Vader
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the one — the one that carries the assassin team to Io.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to go dig out my Cinefex magazine with Outland in it. I also have the Outland screenplay, picture book. I love the look of that movie. Raw and industrial.

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader wrote:
Yup, that's the one — the one that carries the assassin team to Io.

I very recently discovered in one of my old Starlog that it had a name : the FELLI MEI (latin for "MY SONS")

Fred
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Sorensen actually worked on that movie, but was not credited for it Confused
Also the look of the mining facilities are reminiscent of the tower of the Nostromo refinery Wink
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
J.Sorensen actually worked on that movie, but was not credited for it Confused

Yes you're right, how did I forget that !!!

Shocked

joberg wrote:

Also the look of the mining facilities are reminiscent of the tower of the Nostromo refinery Wink

Absolutely right !

OK, another photo, a close-up of the shuttle this time... the interesting detail is the catwalk in the recessed area on the middle left of the leg landing support... it gives an idea of the size of the ship...

It looks like it's as HUGE as the Nostromo !!!

Shocked

Fred

FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:
OK, another photo, a close-up of the shuttle this time... the interesting detail is the catwalk in the recessed area on the middle left of the leg landing support... it gives an idea of the size of the ship...

It looks like it's as HUGE as the Nostromo !!!

Shocked

Fred

Hmmmm....interesting comparison! Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago Martin Bower discovered the model sitting somewhere in a U.K. studio (don't remember which one) and in desperate need of repair...which he did (can be viewed on Martin's web site).
It's good that it's now into safe hands and preserved for others to see.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

URL not working for me.
http://www.martinbowersmodelworld.com/
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, Martin was also mentioning that one day he found the Green House Building smashed up; the cleaners had knocked it on the ground during the cleaning nigh shift Crying or Very sad . He had to salvage and mainly re-build almost everything in record time to make sure it was ready for the shooting schedule.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, Martin was also mentioning that one day he found the Green House Building smashed up; the cleaners had knocked it on the ground during the cleaning nigh shift Crying or Very sad . He had to salvage and mainly re-build almost everything in record time to make sure it was ready for the shooting schedule.

I recall this story, but I think he didn't have to rebuild the panels, some other guys re-made them because he was already busy on another assignment and couldn't afford to take time and rebuild it...

I also recall that after he (and Bill Pearson) had painfully airbrushed the whole refinery with tons of weathering effects, director Peter Hyams wasn't happy with the end result on screen... To have the kind of light effect he wanted on the whole thing he asked the refinery to be repainted in... white ! The guys in charge of this task used cans and ruined a large part of the intricate detailing Martin & Pearson had put in their model !

Shocked

Scary story !!!

FenGiddel86, glad to see you liked the comparison.. Would really want to see a scale comparison sketch of the 2 ships side to side one of these days !

Bwood, yes, noticed this a few days ago after I opened this thread... Don't know what's going on... I asked Space Jockey if he could drop an email to Martin Bower to inquire about this... More news soon I guess...

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
nexus42
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: outland shuttle Reply with quote

Fred, thanks for posting that photo of the supply shuttle, I've always loved this film.......Outland! great design, effects and performances, one of those underated 80's movies that re-invigorated Sean Connerys career!
This film in my opinion could easily occupy the same universe as Alien and Blade Runner, always thought that Brett and Parker could have fitted into this movie see them ogling the stripppers in the mining facilities bar?.......... according to the crew dossier one of Bretts past jobs was on a base on Titan, could have looked very similar to Con-Am 27?
The design of the shuttle inspired me as much as the nostromo did in my formative years, although it was difficult to see the intricate detail on the shuttle in the film, and there was a lack of reference material and photos of this ship at the time.
Outland builds up the tension from the start, the opening sequence still has impact, the miner going crazy and slashing his suit open and the explosive outcome of his actions!......the gory airlock sequence with the guy descending minus his pressure suit (the airlock/lift design was how I imagined the airlock worked on the nostromo) and the thrilling shuttle countdown arrival sequence.......brilliant stuff!
Cheers fred.......
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus42 is right: not much screen time was dedicated to that FAB model for the focus was on Connery's character (and others in the movie) and their relationship with each other. Like "High Noon" there's no focus per say on the train bringing the bad guys into town; the focus is the clock (as in Outland) and the relationship between the sheriff and the city folks...
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: outland shuttle Reply with quote

nexus42 wrote:
Fred, thanks for posting that photo of the supply shuttle, I've always loved this film.......Outland! great design, effects and performances, one of those underated 80's movies that re-invigorated Sean Connerys career!

You're welcome nex ! Yes, the design of this one was great, very close to A L I E N but great nonetheless ! I also love the social dimension of the story, with these long term voluntaries for hard mining work on a harsh remote world exploited by huge corporations such as the Con-Am.

nexus42 wrote:

This film in my opinion could easily occupy the same universe as Alien and Blade Runner, always thought that Brett and Parker could have fitted into this movie see them ogling the stripppers in the mining facilities bar?.......... according to the crew dossier one of Bretts past jobs was on a base on Titan, could have looked very similar to Con-Am 27?

Oh yes, I LOVE this idea !

Parker would have been at ease in the bar among strippers and prostitutes, and I saw a mobile very similar to the ones seen in the Nostromo's "destruction room" in one of the workers' "rest cell".

Fred
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What strikes me most interesting is the design of the ship. Bulky, so not used in atmo. Also, the thruster pods are as low as the footpads, which would indicate the shuttle is intended for landing on specialized pads like the one on the outpost that don't block the thrust jets

I always imagined that the thing descended to the cargo off-load area seen in the film where the bays we see on the shuttle's flanks would be laterally unloaded/loaded. With a ship this big, cranes and forklifts would take an eternity.

Also: anybody got an idea where the flight control deck might be? Since the ship flies on automatics (indicated in the film), perhaps its buried inside the hull, or maybe there are bay windows like on the Nostromo?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never liked a ship without a flight deck...but for this shuttle, I'll make an exception Wink ...there's no window nor flight deck on that one I'm afraid: they sticked to the story of having that baby controled by the main ship.
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FenGiddel86 wrote:
What strikes me most interesting is the design of the ship. Bulky, so not used in atmo. Also, the thruster pods are as low as the footpads, which would indicate the shuttle is intended for landing on specialized pads like the one on the outpost that don't block the thrust jets

I totaly agree with you here. We could add that it's almost used as a kind of "space elevator". Its only purpose is to deliver cargo loads between space and zero-atmosphere (or low atmosphere) worlds.

Did you also notice the 3 little engines above each huge thruster pods ? These look like brake / directional / positioning thrusters, and in my opinion they could be very useful to dock a space station.

BTW, here is a rendition I did of what I believe the Felli Mei shuttle should look like in space flight mode... Something very close to the Aries shuttle in 2001 : A Space Odyssey.

What do you think ?

Fred

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: