FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
My new Takagi blaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pic is probably why I thought the stunt was used in that other scene......

http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/8200000/Harrison-Ford-as-Deckard-in-Bladerunner-blade-runner-8242635-1692-1179.jpg
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep CessnaDriver, that's the stunt alright...
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun fact it was the hero was here just a few seconds before, it does look like the stunt and i missed its use here, makes sense as Pris kicks it out of his hand in a second.
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one red light was working on the hero too.
No doubt indicating a mode selection or weapon status.. Yeah that's the ticket.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely bad wiring or weak battery.
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scenes when Harrison Ford used the stunt gun prop:

-When Leon beats the gun out of Deckards hand.

-When Priss kicks Deckard. On the previous scene he was holding the hero prop (red leds are ON) CUT then it's a different take and she kicks so fast you can't notice.

-Deckard chasing Batty. Close up of hero prop, from the side on the CUT of gun seen a bit from above - that is the stunt - Batty's hand make a hole on the wall and take the gun from Deckard's hand. Then cut and we see Batty holding the gun, that is the hero prop again.

Deckard's Stunt had the rubber grips cut and replaced by transparent grips.

I have been studying the prop for years. As Rick says, the Steyr parts were gun metal not blued steel, with highlights and darker recesses. Bulldog parts had the bluing taken away too. Inner Bulldog handle frame is painted flat black and then sanded in the edges. Bulldog Drum covers aluminium casted and painted gloss black, aluminium custom parts (frame and buttplate) painted gloss black and then aged in different degrees.

Last edited by spinner 44 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had forgotten the one with Pris..

As the old Bulldogs mainly came Blued I bet the inner handle was in its original factory black finish and did not need painting.

Rich

Like this:

Last edited by racprops on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:

the old Bulldogs mainly came Blued I bet the inner handle was in its original factory black finish and did not need painting.

I didn't know that. Yes I bet they just sanded the inner handle to make it look worned out.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
hirohawa wrote:
Wrong how. The receiver still has most of it's factory blue in that pic. Maybe not 100% but also definitely not raw steel.

And the Butt plate is also blued?? Now we all know it was bight polished aluminum and it looks just the same as does the Steyr receiver...they are the same color.

The butt plate is significantly lighter in the worldcon pics to the receiver. Of course the hardened steel used for it would come across as darker than aluminum which would be lighter, as can pewter also be much lighter depending on the alloy. Still the worldcon gun looks to me as if the bluing was still staining the gun to some degree, but no longer enough to protect it from rust obviously.

I think the darkness of the film just made it too dark to see the details, at least for some scenes including the gun being dropped by Deckard in the Bradbury, that they may have had it stripped part way through filming and then only lightly blued. The gun would still appear black in most scenes, but it would look more interesting in close up. Polished metals will reflect back what ever the color around is, including shadows, and the more textured surfaces would diffuse the light making any lighting catch it all over the surfaces to be reflected back to the viewing/camera point. It is a kind of an optical illusion, or at least trick of lighting.

I often thought that Deckard carried around his stunt more often than first thought, because of how dark the gun looked through most of it, but I do suppose it may have been treated to be have a slight darkness/bluing look as it appears in the early still photos. The later worldcon color may have been from a natural lightening of the surface from handling, instead of a darkening from oxidation. In any case the thing never looked fully stripped of the bluing to me.

Also, from what I have heard the Tomenosuke is fully able to be stripped down to what ever color you wish. It was meant to start with a version that could be turned into many other versions and still be fully assembled from the get go.

I will check some of the photos to see how much the Elfin Knights version looks detail wise to the Tomenosuke. Been a while since I had to cross compare these replicas. Wink

Andy
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:

Thank you for the picture Richard. Do you know what material is that Bulldog part? Alumnium or steel? I guess the second to get a proper weight balance.. but then the color is as light as aluminium would look like when sanded...
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aluminum.

I think anodized.

Rich
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't blame the people working on that movie using the stunt more than the hero, since we know (as I had suspected) now, that there was only one hero on set. Wink
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was the other way around there are only three very short scenes where IF your sharp eyed you can make out the stunt gun, 90% of the time it was the hero.

Rich
CessnaDriver
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help but think it's possobile there is a prototype or other effort that never made it to the set or got fully assembled. Certainly spare parts or botched attempts that someone might still retain in a personal collection.
If the hero got damaged, the prop guys would have had to fix it quick.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well is was a STEEL GUN, made with a real working Bulldog, so it was hard to break, but they did do some damage to the side covers....and a grip.

Rich
Rambo_troop
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: My new Takagi blaster Reply with quote

Ruprekt wrote:
So after an long week of waiting for the EMS shipment to finally arrive, I got my Blaster. Christmas in September me thinks... First impression as I opened the box was how it looked so perfect and like an actual gun you could shoot. The weight and heft of the thing is very impressive. Solid and well made. Sort of...... First off, the lights have to have the little paper slip taken out of the battery compartment so the contacts touch the battery. No big deal. Except for the two set screws and round threaded nuts that hold the battery compartment on were something of a bitch to remove. Ok, fine, contacts are made turn on the lights. Great! Ok, not great. The bottom led doesn't work. What? Ok I can deal with this. Just fix whatever is loose. How about opening the cylinder? Put the bullets in and see what they fit like. Open the cylinder. Simple. Open the cylinder. Uh, what? Open the furslugener cylinder! It doesn't want to open. Yes, I am pushing the release by the way. And breaking several commandments in the process. Finally it opens! Put the bullets in. And close the cylinder. Close the cylinder. What? Ok, now I'm getting pissed. I finally get it closed, and didn't cry in the process. Ok, maybe a little.... Then guess what? The guy/girl assembling this thing must have been the worlds biggest pussy because the screws holding much of it together are barely tight. My handle actually wobbled until I tightened the thing up. This gun is really very nice, but for $800 I was expecting much much more. The cylinder trouble is just plain crap. That stuff should be a QC check and fixed at the factory. The led is the same. I was expecting to be wowed by this thing, and was not really wowed at all. Maybe I'm just too picky, but considering this comes from Japan a place where sweating the details is obsessive, this is pretty lame. On with the pictures!

I have one and the problems are same on mine but the fact that the upper is plastic is the real let down for me.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because of strict Japanese laws on guns Wink
As for the "there was only one hero on the set" I always wondered about that mystery gun that one of our member posted here (at least 1 year ago if not more Confused ).

Showing that the # on the Steyr was the same as on the hero (we knew, looking at the pics that the original # had been erased and re-stamped as the one we know).

Still a mystery...
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Probably because of strict Japanese laws on guns Wink
As for the "there was only one hero on the set" I always wondered about that mystery gun that one of our member posted here (at least 1 year ago if not more Confused ).

Showing that the # on the Steyr was the same as on the hero (we knew, looking at the pics that the original # had been erased and re-stamped as the one we know).

WHAT makes you say THAT??It was a real number I have seen foun digit numbered Steyrs of that age...

Still a mystery...

And I also believe they only made one and cast rubber stunt copies.

RIch
Daigoro
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, best describe myself as a die-hard Blade Runner fan,
well, im a big fan of some other great scifi movies of the 70`s and 80`s (Alien, Robocop, Space1999) and the old japanese samurai movies Smile ,
but BR is my absolute favorite, and my childhood dream come true, when these great, movie prop quality
blasters are released (i have a tomen, and a daiki, but i`ll collect the others too).
For me the receicever color and finish obviuos as the onebyone, just take a look at the final scene
of the movie, when Deckard went home after his rendezvous with Ray Batty, clearly seen the original
metal parts (receiver and triggerguard) are darker greyish (or "gunmetal"), like the worldcon version (not black, or silver shiny):

and it has a near mirrorpolished finish, Deckards face and the surroundings are reflected on it, with
clear details, the non metal parts are refelected the same way, its more obviuos in motion.

after he step into the dark apartman, only some specular highlight visible (as in the other darker scenes) :

there is no cut in this scene, we surely see the same blaster.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Propsummit Daigoro and to the never ending Blaster collection/variations Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: