FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
She was trained for an Off-World Kick/Murder Squad...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll vote for Rick if he wants to put is resume for BR2 anytime Cool
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BR2?

Then he'll have to do BR3 and 4 too Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A review from Model Geek...

http://www.modelgeek.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=8795

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: MY VOTE Reply with quote

I'll second, third and fourth THAT! - R13

Just imagine . . . owning the prop, BEFORE the movie hits theaters!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Andy...well 94% satisfaction rating tells us what we new from the beginning. It's a no-brainer: buy a Rick Ross kit, you won't be dissapointed Cool
DaveG
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with (almost) everything Peter Ong wrote in his ModelGeek review (except with seam lines being a 'Low'. they are to be expected on resin parts cast in silicone molds). However...

How can a review be considered to be anywhere near complete when the reviewer doesn't actually BUILD the kit? "Kit has been returned to P.K.C." Especially with resin kits the way parts fit together and any need for filing, forcing and filling have a lot to do with the overall quality of the kit and level of enjoyment that comes from building it.

Holding the finished prop in your hand is as big a part in a complete review as building... or just rummaging through the parts in the box!

This would be like a cookbook reviewer not actually cooking any of the recipes or a movie reviewer basing a review on the trailer.

Had he taken the effort to build Rick's Enforcer kit I'm sure Mr. Ong would have given the kit an even higher score.

Okay, rant over.

Shocked

"I just want to say people... Get A Life! Move out of your parent's basement! It's just a movie!"

Last edited by DaveG on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't know that he didn't build the kit Shocked ...well, as you said Dave it's bizarre to give it a 95% rate if you just look at how the parts are packaged, or the quality of the part itself (no bubbles, no flash, crisp,etc) and not actually build the model Confused

Thanks for the FYI, I know what/who to skip for future kit reviews.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: CRITICS Reply with quote

Agreed. If I believed every critic, I might not have even seen Blade Runner back in '82 . . .

- R13
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Dylan said it best...

“Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'.”
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one Bassnoir, cannot beat Zimmerman' s poetry Wink
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always, thank you for your kind words and support.

I appreciate your concerns over this review. A few weeks ago I was contacted by Mr. Ong regarding my kit and was asked if I would be interested in submitting it for a review. I gladly said yes and did so almost immediately with no expectations of its return. Recently, however, just before he published his review, Mr. Ong informed me that he had completed his review based on the un-built parts and the instruction manual. Although this seems uncustomary for a proper kit review, Mr. Ong explained to me that his review would have to be based on the un-built kit parts because he simply would not have the proper time to build my kit within the time frame of his review schedule. Because of this, he insisted on returning the kit to me, even though I insisted that he keep it for a future point in time when he could build it. In all good conscience, Mr. Ong persuaded me that he could not keep it and, therefore, I accepted its return.

In fairness to Mr. Ong. I will admit that there are a few parts that do show some flashing, with oddly placed mold lines. These clean up rather easily with a little bit of sanding, in my opinion. They are the suppressor nut and the scope mount. Because of the complexity of these two parts, I chose to mold them in such ways as to not only achieve good castings, but to also get as much life out of their molds as possible. In the case of the suppressor nut, I had to do it with consideration given to the internal threads, making it without the use of a separate threaded silicone plug that would have died after a few runs. To achieve this in a two part mold, I had to compromise by placing the mold line across the flats of this part on its sides. In so doing I was able to register the rough threads in the part and then hand cut them to their finished dimension with a tap, while at the same time maintaining their trueness to the centerline of the piece. The scope mount, on the other hand, had its own unique issues with its many undercuts and a center bore that needed to remain true to its centerline, as well. Suffice it to say, these parts do show some odd looking flash lines. I made his kit in a batch of others that I shuffled about before sending them all out to their respective destinations. This was to insure that Mr. Ong's kit would be no different than any other kit that I made in that batch. And as a result, his review based on the parts themselves, is fair, I think.

I will be submitting this kit to others for review in the near future. Hopefully they will be able to pursue a more in depth study of the build itself. In the meantime, for those of you who have a kit, please feel free to comment on your experience with it. I have built 8 of these now. It would be unfair of me to say, "oh, it's a piece of cake to build." The truth is, when I built my first one of the K.M.S. Issues (not the prototype), I had some difficulty with it and thought I would cry. From this experience was born the 24 page instruction manual. Whenever I make a new one, I always follow my own instructions. After building eight of them, I am able to build from memory now, but I follow the manual each and every time in order to constantly check myself on how I am telling others to build it. The best feedback on this, however, will come from a builder other than myself.

To recap, I am very grateful to Mr. Ong and Model Geek for taking an interest in my work and seeking me out for this review. I understand their time constraints and am very pleased that they liked my vision of "A Gun for Zhora".

Rick

www.reddragonkipplecompany.com
www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick for sharing the whole story with us
Bassnoir
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....yet again thanks for sharing the whole story Rick...that being said I have not heard or read a single word of complaint about your kits...in fact when Matsuo rebuilt my Sidkit and Offworld and repainted them along with YOUR PKD he commented on YOUR PKD as being the pick of the litter...praise I cannot trump...
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: PERSPECTIVE Reply with quote

We all judge. Ironically, creatives are all too often critiqued by the non. Were they even to attempt to achieve a minor level of what they critique, would be rare indeed.

The critique might be a fair opinion from one POV, but kit building implies the need for a certain level of skill and artistry to take it to it's final stage. That final challenge is the whole point, taking it to the individual's interpretation. An opportunity missed here.

What you continually achieve is amazing to me. It may not be perfect, but then, what is? While there are many here, like me, who would give you higher marks, well beyond 94, perfection is only an abstract goal. Thankfully, never to be reached.

It will be interesting to see what other "experts" say, but even moreso what future offerings you create.

- R13
doppelganger01
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: A Hit Kit for Zhora Reply with quote

Here is a prototype of a "Hit-Kit" for Zhora. I've repurposed a Pelican Case 1400 with some stenciling and labeling. Also, I've reworked the instruction manual into a "booklet" format so that it fits into the case behind the egg crate foam.

www.reddragonkipplecompany.com
www.pflagerkatsumata.com
www.ricklross.com

Last edited by doppelganger01 on Mon May 27, 2013 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cratercritter
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

I'm at a loss
Rick Ross is the boss!
My goodness...
Superb artistic & scientific prowess.

Twisted Evil
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

As usual your work goes beyond prop to not only a piece of art, but also a full on novel. You really are a story teller with your work. I know and can see all the back story you have probably stayed awake at night thinking about with this prop and case. Outstanding as always.

Andy
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just amazing!
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's just great.

I love the 'story' of it. Brilliant.
Amazing, thorough work, as always Rick.

With due respect to Mr. Ong, There is very little point to producing a review of something you haven't experienced.
Would you consider a restaurant critic's review if he hadn't eaten there?

Bottom line is, if you don't have time to build the kit, you don't have time to review it. Understanding how it goes together is crucial.

Here's my capsule review of the three Ross kits I built recently:

'Well designed, professionally cast resin parts. Crisp detail, minimal mould lines for intricate parts, excellent instructions. Buy them'.

Smile

Karl
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: BOX ART Reply with quote

Once again, WOW!
Nicely done

- R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: