FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Value of a built up Sidkit?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomVDJ
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:58 am    Post subject: Value of a built up Sidkit? Reply with quote

What do you guys think is a fair price for a built up Sidkit blaster? I got the opportunity to trade a Jumanji board replica I have, for a built Sidkit Blaster (where also the green leds light up).

I declined the offer, since I go for a racprops blaster, which is more accurate in my opinion (don't want to have that discussion here), but I'd like to hear what the actual selling value of such a sidkit would be? I don't know exactly which version of the sidkit it was, but let's assume it's the latest worldcon version. What do you guys think it's worth?
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how good the build up is. Some people are not as adept as others.

Any pics?
TomVDJ
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
Depends on how good the build up is. Some people are not as adept as others.

Any pics?
I do have pics, but since they're not mine, I don't think it's appropriate to post them here. But let's say it's "quite a good build", based on what I see on the pics (difficult to evaluate it when you don't have it in hand, off course).
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say a nicely built Worldcon Sidkit is worth at least $1200.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
I would say a nicely built Worldcon Sidkit is worth at least $1200.

I would agree. While the Worldcon Sidkit is not as accurate as a Coyle, the cast , assembly and details are unmatched in their fine detail.

Certainly if its a decent build, a price of $1,200.00 is realistic IMO.

Good luck mate...

MARK

TomVDJ
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your opinions, guys. On the evil bay there is a sidkit for sale at this moment with a starting bid of $1699. I thought this was a bit steep.

I evaluated the value of the blaster that was offered somewhere between $600 and $900. Seems that the blaster might be worth a few hundred bucks more, but since a Jumanji board with a custom paintjob was sold off for more than $3000, I guess trading mine (with the original paintjob, from the same creator) for the sidkit, would not have been a great idea, certainly not if I didn't like the blaster in the end and would have tried to sell it off again...

Can I ask how exectly the sidkit is better in your opinions than the Coyle? On the pictures, for instance, the Stryer logo is not that detailed on the SidKit, compared to the Coyle I have at home. I can only evaluate on pictures of the SidKit off course, compared to the Coyle I have at home, and based on that I don't see anything on the SidKit which is better than the Coyle...

I choose for the Coyle for screen accuracy, and indeed, if you pay close attention, you can see it's not a professional build, but if I wanted a clean fit and great finishing, I would go for a Tomenusoke, I guess.

So let's say you have to sell me a SidKit, what would be a good and realistic argument to choose for a sidkit, and not for a racprops or Tomenusoke?
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say there is nothing good or even equal to my model as Sid ripped me off, his (so called) models were a recasting of a early model of mine done years before we saw the world con..

Rich
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
I would say there is nothing good or even equal to my model as Sid ripped me off, his (so called) models were a recasting of a early model of mine done years before we saw the world con..

Rich

Drop it Rich.

I have also had the opportunity to have both blasters and in fairness Sid's last offering of the Worldcon was a long way away from his earlier copies of the RAC blaster. As I said before Rich's blaster is more accurate when it comes to size, and the extra details he built into his after the Worldcon was discovered. Rich was the pioneer in many respects and for that I have always said that he deserves his place in the history books in bringing the BR blaster to us the fans.

Comparing them I have no problems saying that Sid's WORLDCON cast is far superior to Rich's KIT version (Rich, you even admitted that before yourself) in that its absolutely clean, free of pitting and the pieces fit together like gloves. Its an easier build than the Coyle kit by miles and this is primarily because of the finishes. I stress its NOT the most accurate (and I am carefully avoiding the issues Rich keeps throwing out like a stuck record) but it is a lovely piece of work no matter how you look at it. The grips are absolutely pristine and IMO the correct shade, but the weight is too heavy (which I actually prefer) because Sid's magazine is metal, not like Rich's more accurate plastic.

The only major gripe I have with the Sid is that the barrel is horrible and if you're able to change it out for one of the machined barrels then you'll do well. I also do not like the screw used for the magazine latch but other than that, I think its very nice indeed.

If I were to choose between a Coyle Worldcon and a Sidkit Worldcon (and assuming here again that we are referring to kit offerings since Sid's was a kit) then I would choose the Sid hands down. If on the other hand we were talking about a fully build RAC model, then the choice would probably be different because that version of Rich's offering is magnificent.

Hope this helps.

MARK

p.s. Although I say that the Sidkit Worldcon is not as accurate as the Coyle (which it isn't) I should mention that barely a week goes by without me being asked if my blaster is the original hero.

M

TomVDJ
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great explanation. Good that you mentioned that in KIT form, you'd prefer SidKit's instead of Racprops. Since I'm not seeing myself finishing a kit anyway, this isn't a real issue for me personally. I do own a racprops blaster now, but I'm on the list for a second one (mainly because a friend wants one too, so I ordered a second one, when I have it I'll evaluate both, keep the best one for me, and sell the other one to my friend Wink ).

I have read that Sidkit's seems to be (partially?) recasted from a racprops model. Don't want to stir this up again.

So if I can summarize: although that some sidkit parts are recasted from a racprops kit, a sidkit KIT is cleaner and easier to build than a racprops kit. But if you don't talk about kits, but finished blasters, all depends on how skilled the maker is, and all in all, if you go for a finished blaster, racprops version is more accurate and well build.
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomVDJ wrote:
Great explanation. Good that you mentioned that in KIT form, you'd prefer SidKit's instead of Racprops. Since I'm not seeing myself finishing a kit anyway, this isn't a real issue for me personally. I do own a racprops blaster now, but I'm on the list for a second one (mainly because a friend wants one too, so I ordered a second one, when I have it I'll evaluate both, keep the best one for me, and sell the other one to my friend Wink ).

I have read that Sidkit's seems to be (partially?) recasted from a racprops model. Don't want to stir this up again.

So if I can summarize: although that some sidkit parts are recasted from a racprops kit, a sidkit KIT is cleaner and easier to build than a racprops kit. But if you don't talk about kits, but finished blasters, all depends on how skilled the maker is, and all in all, if you go for a finished blaster, racprops version is more accurate and well build.

That's a fair assessment Tom. The only comment I would have is that while the Coyle IS more accurate - if you're measuring with a SA eye - they are easily equal when it comes the build quality (if we consider Rich's finished blaster as opposed to his kit).

Deciding between the two can probably be likened to the current choice we have between the new Takagi and the Tomenosuke models - its a subjective thing....

Best of luck.

MARK

racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go along with that...I just felt that he might not know it was a recast. No one had pointed that out.

New comers to this site and collecting Blasters often do not know of this fact and I felt it needed to be told. And I will tell it forever so get used to it. HE ripped me off and used my work to take sales and money from me!!

And people from this site and others gave me hell for saying this....all because his dirty recasting was good and cheap...odd as normally recasting is comdemed, but it turns out that normally a recast is also a crappy model, so recasting that is clean and cheap was OK!!!

As I had not ever intended to offer a kit my castings were made to be finished and fitted by me.

Also I used a more pure Fine Pewter with more tin and less lead (both by chores and by LAW) with no lead my metal does not flow as well as leaded pewter, and yes my metal casting does have a few pits...

Lastly this was a talk about a BUILT model not a kit.

As far as I could tell the ONLY change was he later used Off World grips, all the rest was off my model.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: