FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
• THE DECKARDS' HOUSE
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: DOUBLE TAKE! Reply with quote

Initially, I had the same thought, Joberg, but after searching the internet last week, I found that the Trask House serves double duty, with typical Hollywood trickery - note the matching trim and posts.

The website itsfilmedthere.com offers this explanation:

------

I've started a new thread in General Discussion to pursue and hopefully determine some of the details of the Rosen photo.

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many matches from the "Hazzard's house" match Deck's pic.
Also, the shadow being showed on the pic is without the trellis above it (as in the "new" design). The H design is also there.
Looking at the rear of that house, it's obvious that it's not the pic with Rachael's mother.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: REAGANOPTICS Reply with quote

DELVING DEEPER
Further searching online, for the Rosen Porch, still reveals more information about Warner's Backlot in its earlier days.

It seems our "Deckard House" does have quite a storied past. Apparently for the 1942 Ronald Reagan movie "King's Row", the entire street was improved upon significantly for the film, with additional detailing to the houses, landscaping and added businesses. What at the time was known as the 'Lemp House' became the 'Drake House' for that film, and the street inherited the film's name. Following that, aside from its use in "East of Eden" in 1954, the house (front or back) became the Boyd home in "Damn Yankees" (1958), Marion's house in "The Music Man" (1962) and Michael Jordon's house in "Space Jam" (1996), among others.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, talk about recycling Very Happy Thanks for the additional info Dave, very interesting indeed!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: LAST REMARKS Reply with quote

Hopefully a final entry, although there's now little doubt the history of this set is long and varied. Another comment from one source adds a bit of further clarity. None of the houses on Warner's backlot have ever been given names, so consequently, with each production the house was tagged with a new corresponding name.

HOLLYWOOD ABRACADABRA
In addition, based on the script and the needs of each production, more than one house might serve as the "home" of the character/s. Editing and varied angles often makes it difficult to determine just what house or houses were used in any given movie - an entry from one, a side porch from another, etc. And painted backdrops added to the confusion, sometimes even creating conflicting views and so, creating inconsistencies in that movie.

Apparently such was the case in several of the films, sometimes with the same house being used for different homes in the same film, by redressing a room or changing a bit of landscaping or placing a painted background outside a window.

Even the studio cannot be certain, as in many cases no detailed records exist.

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's true that things can be changed, transformed on the back lot (ah movies, you know, not real Wink ).

But I still believe that the "Hazzard House" is the one
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: MORE REFERENCE Reply with quote

'DEADLY' HOUSE
Interestingly (perhaps), now - in my ongoing online search for the other location, I continue to find more confirmation of the house used in the Deckards photo.

Most significantly has been a series of stills from "Deadly Friend", a Wes Craven movie starring "Little House on The Prairies"'s Matthew Labyorteaux. Somewhat surprisingly, at that time the house remained virtually unchanged, almost identical to that shown on the photo prop of the Deckards -

From "Deadly Friend" (1986)

- R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right! Another great find Dave. As you said, save for the green shutters and the mail box attached to the right post (when facing the house) everything jives with the BR pic
Nexus7
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, I need to check out Wes Craven's Deadly Friend.

"Paul is a new kid in town with a robot named "BB". He befriends Samantha and the three of them have a lot of good times together. That is, until Samantha's abusive father throws her down some stairs and kills her. In an effort to save her life, Paul implants BB's computer brain into Samantha's human brain."

Very Happy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: GOING 'MENTAL' Reply with quote

I can't recommend the movie Wink, but apparently it does feature the house quite a bit, at a time just before it changed. Other productions and various fires on the lot forced changes and rebuilds from time to time. At one point filming of "Dukes of Hazzard" was delayed when a fire damaged some of the structures. These had to be repaired, or totally rebuilt to match the buildings lost, before filming could resume. I can't verify if the Deckards' house was involved, but over the years some buildings were replaced with entirely new structures. You'll notice that the house to the right of the Deckards home, as well as the landscaping changed at some point after 1986 -

The new house seems slightly smaller. The pillared front porch and balcony are gone and dormers now top the new roof. The trees have grown over the years or been replaced, along with various other minor changes.

- R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: THE 'OTHER' HOUSE - UPDATE Reply with quote

NO NEWS IS NOT NECESSARILY GOOD NEWS

In my ongoing effort to now determine the details of the "other" photo in Blade Runner - that of Rachael and her mom - I have attempted to contact the only person in The States who might know their identities or the location involved, Paul M. Sammon, the author of our bible, FUTURE NOIR -

Mr. Sammon, circa 2011 (sans the familiar mustache)

To date I've received no answer. No doubt Mr. Sammon has more pressing engagements and time probably does not allow for his attention to such trivia. But I am hopeful, knowing his past and apparently ongoing interest in BR, that he may eventually respond.

Another possibility resides in England and perhaps an answer may surface from there.

As always, somebody knows. As with many entries here, discoveries and subsequent responses can come at any time, now or well into the future. With any luck, perhaps we will know more by 2019.

The clock is ticking . . . .

Have A Better One! - Replicant 13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good try there Dave...I hope something will come Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: