FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Blade Runner Figures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ara
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Blade Runner Figures Reply with quote

Who makes Blade Runner figures? (besides Scott Pettersen and Brother Production)

Thanks!
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: HUNTING DECKARD Reply with quote

Ara -

There have been several companies and a few individuals that have offered the 1/6 scale (12") figures.

It all depends on your taste and budget. Currently I am unaware of any figures in that scale being offered in any quantity or of decent quality, at an affordable price.

The first I recall was offered several years ago, for a time, by a Japanese outfit. Called simply "Android Hunter" it resembled the figures produced in the 70's by Kenner. A simple resemblance to Ford, but like the original 12" G.I.Joe, more toy-like. Still, a favorite -

THE ORIGINAL "HUNTER"

Those that came later attempted more realism, influenced by companies like HOT TOYS, but few have captured Ford's likeness.

Unfortunately, with time and the limited releases, the prices have soared. Some, like Petersen's, could be said to be worth it (if you have the $$$), considering the excellent craftsmanship. But many seem to be existing figures, reworked -"custom" jobs featuring new or altered head sculpts, that vary greatly in quality and price.

While not as detailed or "accurate" as the newer, more expensive models, I found the Android Hunter (with its original head) a nice piece, fitting better the style at the time when the film was released.

It all depends on your taste and budget. Aside from those you mention, currently I am unaware of any new figures in that scale being offered in any quantity or of decent quality, at an affordable price.

Best bet? Probably eBay. Good hunting! - R13
Rambo_troop
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Blade Runner Figures Reply with quote

Ara wrote:
Who makes Blade Runner figures? (besides Scott Pettersen and Brother Production)

Thanks!

Iv been asking Neca to make a set or just even Deckard but it needs more than just me to convince them.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: STUMBLING BLOCK Reply with quote

Unfortunately 'The Blade Runner Partnership' has had absolutely no interest in marketing the movie.

- R13
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: STUMBLING BLOCK Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
Unfortunately 'The Blade Runner Partnership' has had absolutely no interest in marketing the movie.

- R13

They will if people will pay their price, but their price is so high it isn't worth it just to make a few toys for a mature "Cult film". Warner Brothers was able to do it because they were able to tie it into Video sales promotions, but Westwood never made the money back for the game. many others have tried, but they asked for something like 300 grand just to sit down and talk about it. Jerry Perenchio even stated that he doesn't want the license diluted the way films like Star Wars have done, especially since it isn't a kids movie. I do expect if the new films get made though, it is the moment they have been holding back on licensing for, and at least some product will show up.

Andy
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: THEN vs. NOW Reply with quote

Agreed. A fresh start in today's market, might well change 'The Partnership's' mind. And now it seems toy companies are willing to develop figures based on almost anything, including films and franchises that came and went decades ago. It's hard to say - if they might have made some money off the original back then, had it been marketed like Star Wars. It's possible that Harrison's popularity might have helped sales in spite of its lackluster results at the box office, but perhaps that's overly optimistic.

Probably fewer kids back then would have been allowed to see it, so like ALIEN before it, it would have had to depend on the smaller adult market. With exposure to the roleplaying games of today, the violence of the original film would almost seem harmless by today's standards. It was a different world in 1982.

- R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The product made for the film in 1982 sold worse than the tickets for the film at the time. They made the two books by Blue Dolphin, the Sketchbook and Illustrated screenplay, the ERTL toy cars (not learning from the lesson Alien got from making toys for an 'R' rated film), as well as patches and a Fanclub, that never got past the first newsletter. The mature themes and 'R' rating kept it from crossing paths with the patrons of that kind of merchandise...kids. As a result the stuff is pretty rare now, especially since collectors are now often adults, the prices have also grown. The film did grow in popularity through the years, but maybe not to the amounts we think it should have.

On the other hand most of the films fans also seem to be in the tech industry, and have a bit more money to spend now days. Higher end collectibles would probably be the best bet. Many of the fans would certainly buy toys, but nowhere near the amount fans of more family affair like Star Wars. There isn't that much money into making the figures, especially after paying the fees of the Blade Runner Partnership. They would have to be low run and high price. I could certainly see stuff like nice die-cast replicas of the spinner with crossover Syd Mead collectors. I do know someone already has asked for the rights to make an official replica blaster that won't be seen until after the new film if they get the chance.

Personally the main BR thing I still long for is a true "Art of.." coffee table book of the making of the film, and its props. I am okay with the lack of toys for the film, but still would buy them if made. I own a couple versions of the Japanese Android Hunter figures, and the Android 001 Rot Batty. Not very accurate and also not that valuable. Proof that they never found their market and also another reason why toys may not be made for the new films in any large capacity. I know Todd McFarlane wanted to make them and even he balked. Supposedly there are prototypes made too that I never got to see, but were hinted at. Too bad, because they would have been cool, but also gathering dust on my shelf if they ever sold them.

Who knows what will happen when the new film(s) get made? Maybe Bud and Jerry will let the gates open, or let a single group control the license with multiple companies, or even sell it all off to someone else who wants to deal with it. By not letting too much out now it helps keep the potential value of the license greater, and also more speculative.

The one wild card has always been Japan, which both has a personal love affair with the film and seems to have ways around what the US and European companies have had to deal with. The Medicom spinners skirted it by first tying in with 'Back to the Future' instead, then by piggy backing off of the Warner Brother media license by packaging it with the Blu Ray. The Fujimi model kits I am not sure about 100%. They don't use the films name on the cover of the boxes, but do use names like "Spinner" and "Deckard" on them. A little bolder than the 'Android Hunter' lables, and avoidance of direct copying that Time Wave Zero did.

There was another Deckard 6th scale figure that came out in early 2000 or so, but it was not much better than the still readily available Android Hunters, and much more expensive. Brother Productions seems to have bought up much of the unsold stock of the earlier figures and focused on accurizing and customizing them. They do them only a few at a time and are slow to ship I have heard. Nothing compared to the Scot Petersen figures. I am waiting to see what time will show us. I know pressuring any particular company means nothing at this point. They have the access to all the numbers. I also know that a quick google search would lead them here, and they probably have already been here. We will just have to wait until the new film.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Andy, yes, Scott figures cannot be beaten, he has set the bar way high (and the price reflects the quality of the product).
Maybe the new movie will unblock some of the copyright stuff related to the first BR, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

It's a movie that fits a special niche in this world and that's why the runs are low and expensive.
Ara
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the information! I had no idea McFarlane had already considered producing Blade Runner figures. McFarlane type-figures, while not a good idea back in 1982, would probably sell well now that BR is considered a classic cult film. But, as Andy mentioned, I think releasing higher end collectibles would be the best bet in this case.
I'm not sure we'll ever get to see mass-produced figures from the original movie, but chances are we'll get a few figures, vehicles or at least a prop replica from the sequel.
I was about to give in and get a Brother Production figure, but another member told me Scott Pettersen will do another version of his Deckard figures in the near future, so I'm putting money aside to try and get one... They're expensive, but so worth it in my opinion.
Lt Dan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ara,

Spenser (who posts on the Sideshow Freaks forum) also made some custom BR figures and clothing a few years ago:

http://www.prophouse2000.com/bladerunner.html

http://prophouse2000.com/dckardjacket.jpg

http://prophouse2000.com/finalbattleshirtpaints01.jpg

http://prophouse2000.com/deckardoutfit01.jpg

Apart from a few custom head sculpts of Deckard, Rachael, Leon and Tyrell, the other posters have included all the 1/6 scale figures I'm aware of. Smile
Ara
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan. I found his website doing a google image search after I started this thread. I guess he doesn't do commissions, right?
Lt Dan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ara wrote:
I guess he doesn't do commissions, right?

I don't know if he does commissions, or if he has any BR stuff for sale currently. Best to email him, or send him a PM on the Freaks forum. Smile
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: eBAY DECKARD Reply with quote

At present there is an "Android Hunter" on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-Runner-Android-Hunter-Rick-Deckard-1-6-12-Harrison-Ford-version-1-0-/251702281052?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3a9aa0035c

It's an auction with 5 days left, so no telling where the price will wind up, but if you're interested you might put it on your watch list. It's the original box and the original version (Kenner®-like head).

I would assume this will go for less than its more detailed "brothers".

(And over the years the clothing does not seem to have changed/improved much.)

Just a thought. - R13
Ara
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it yesterday, the seller doesn't offer international shipping...
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if there's shopusa in Spain, but perhaps other companies offer the same service? I know it can be a bit expensive, but it's a possibility
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replicant 13 wrote:
At present there is an "Android Hunter" on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-Runner-Android-Hunter-Rick-Deckard-1-6-12-Harrison-Ford-version-1-0-/251702281052?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3a9aa0035c

It's an auction with 5 days left, so no telling where the price will wind up, but if you're interested you might put it on your watch list. It's the original box and the original version (Kenner®-like head).

Ara wrote:
I saw it yesterday, the seller doesn't offer international shipping...

This auction is from Wichita, KS, which is where I am (not my auction though Laughing ). To give a general idea of the costs, I got these rough estimates for Ara when she asked about my figure for sale here. It might be a little higher or a little lower depending where in the EU the parcel was going.

If the seller offered International shipping via USPS to Europe (well, Spain anyway), it would range around $20 for First Class Parcel (no insurance or tracking, 2 weeks or more), $43 for Priority Mail with some tracking & insurance ("depending on where it's going" Rolling Eyes ), and some sort of $90 Global Priority which has all the bells & whistles.

I didn't check into UPS, Fed-Ex or any of the other shipping places; there might be cheaper options, but it's still outrageous... Confused
Ara
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, I guess that's why a lot of sellers in the US don't offer international shipping. And on top of that they make you pay considerable amounts of money when a parcel of a certain size/price goes through customs, I've ended up paying more for those fees than for the shipping costs themselves sometimes.
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Models Reply with quote

Not too sure if I should say but I will say it quickly and off the record, a guy flew over to me in the Uk from LA and took exact measurements and pictures of Zhoras spiked leggings that I have. He works for Stan Winston Studios.
He said they are producing a limited run of high quality displays.
Hope I do not get told off.
Ara
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the info.
BTW, I attended LFCC last summer and heard you had your collection on display in previous editions. Will you be there again next year?
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ara
Not sure about next year as yet. Cost is a big factor and as I am only displaying and not selling it makes a big difference in cost.
See how it goes later next year and I will let you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Prop Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: