FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Found some old drawings...

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:45 am    Post subject: Found some old drawings... Reply with quote

Please take into account that these simple sketches were done 30+ years ago on scraps of parchment paper.

Most, if not all, of us are familiar with the work of Ron Cobb, the man has a great eye for detail and has produced some truly amazing drawings.

Shortly after seeing Alien for the second time, I got my hands on a book that highlighted some of the conceptual art that went into producing that movie.

The image below was one that, unfortunately never saw it's way into the movie, in any form.

Here was my attempt at sketching a profile image...

As good as Mr. Cobb's drawings were, there was just something about such a small craft with such HUGE engines that didn't make sense, so i took a page out of the V/TOL book as it pertained to the Harrier jump jet...

Using vectored thrust outlets like the Harrier, you would have infinitely more control over such a small craft than using only two, VERY large engines, at least that's what I felt while imagining myself flying in one :-]

I wish my other drawings were in as good a shape as these, but it seems my *ss of a brother, unceremoniously shoved them into a small box, with no attempt to preserve the integrity of the individual pages. I may have one or two others that could be posted, after some much needed repairs to the scanned documents.

I wish I'd kept pushing, to learn more as an artist...there was so much that was crammed inside my head that I could "see" as 3D imagery in my head, but didn't have the skills necessary to put to paper Sad

Any hoo, I'll see what else I can scan and repair as needed to be able to post here, without embarrassing myself :-]

Cheers, eh.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good attempt indeed. That "Hoover" (I always called that way) was my fav also. Would be fun as a model for sure
Cold Canuck
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, joberg. I think some time spent redoing the images with a focus toward an attempt at a 3D model, would be
a worthwhile project. I don't have close to the drafting skills that SJ has, but I'll give it my best.

I can already see a scene with this bird sitting on a pad, similar to that of a chopper, with the engines spooling up, the
navigation lights flashing, super-heated air being forced out of the nozzles....hot d*mn, I wanna fly this beastie Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-D rendering would be the bomb for sure
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> General Discussion related to Alien All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: