FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard sculpt
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Deckard sculpt Reply with quote

I'm a new member (so please be gentle) and have plucked up the courage to show you guys something I have been working on recently.

Obviously I am a huge fan of Bladerunner, otherwise I wouldn't be here, but I have also been collecting and making models for nigh-on thirty years, mostly in the genres of film, sci-fi and fantasy. I have always been slightly frustrated by the lack of Bladerunner related model kits though. There are some excellent vehicle and hardware kits available but figures of characters have always been a little thin on the ground which is surprising given the great characters and costumes in the movie.

Inspired by some of the fabulous action figure customs and great model work from the very talented and thorough forum members here, I thought I would take the plunge and have a go at sculpting a figure for myself to try and fill the hole in my collections.

I have sculpted the figure at 1/6 scale using polymer clay and epoxy putties. The head at the moment is something of a 'placeholder' just to give me a feel for the pose and proportions. Keen eyes will notice that I have sculpted some locations for the arms and other parts. My intention is to create the figure in sub-assemblies as this will hopefully help when I eventually come to the painting and finishing of the figure.

Anyway, on with the pics...

Let me know what you think...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Propsummit tinylight Very dynamic pose you got there.
Love the folds of the different fabrics (shirt vs pants).
I see that the head/face is far from being done, but it has, already, the known features of Ford's face.
Keep up the good work and waiting impatiently for your next update!
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the encouraging words joberg.

I am intending to keep the pose fairly low-action but still retain a certain amount of gravity to it, I guess when the trench coat goes on the pose may become a little more subtle as the outlines will change. I must admit I am feeling pretty daunted at the prospect of sculpting a Ford likeness, so the 'placeholder' will probably be around until I've built up the courage to tackle it. I'm currently sculpting some of the blazer and hope to show some progress soon but until then I have a couple of detail shot of the shirt and shoes.

Hopefully the sculpted detail on the shirt will help me when it comes to painting in the complex patterns.

hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing work
Velvet Morning
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exciting stuff! Looks great so far and looking forward to seeing more!

Best- S.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the close-ups...really great details there Cool
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small update.

I have added the tie and front of the jacket. I decided not to sculpt all of the jacket as this will eventually be hidden by the trench coat, both the tie and jacket fronts have been sculpted as separate pieces. Apologies if my colourful mix of sculpting materials is detracting slightly from the details, I tend to use a range of different epoxies and clays depending on their different mechanical qualities and suitability for each particular part.

Work on the trench coat is underway so hopefully some more pics soon.

hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great. I think the head may be slightly oversized. I would scale it down a bit.
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, head is a little oversized. I'll work back into it, reducing the size, when I gather the courage to tackle the likeness so it will scale better with the rest of the figure.

I am definitely prevaricating though.
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have managed to make some progress on the trench coat over the past few days and I have to say it has been quite a task with the coat being such a large element of the figure. I have tried to give the coat a little dynamism with just enough movement in it to make it a bit interesting. It wasn't until I started to collect together all of my reference material that I realised how detailed and intricate some areas of the coat actually are! I've done my best to try and give the impression of a voluminous fabric with its wrinkles and creases, not easy with heavy polymer clay, and include as much of the details and stitching as possible. I have also broken the coat down into three separate pieces to aid with assembly and painting later on. There is still quite a bit of work to be done with some additional seams, sleeves / arms, belt and that characteristic collar…

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing your reluctance to start the head is easy to understand. As far as I'm concerned, you're a fan of sculpting different kind of fabrics...and it shows Cool Not easy to sculpt a wet coat, that's for sure!
Love the details and the heaviness of the coat (I know that paint could also add "wet parts" and some "dry parts" to show that the coat is partially soaked Wink

Keep up the great work and eager to see the next part.
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks joberg. I found a great publicity still that has a Deckard in a partially rain soaked trench coat that inspired me to tackle the fabric of the coat in this way. Hopefully some paint will help with the illusion.

Some progress on the arms and sleeves of the trench coat. Again, lots of detail I didn't realise was there until studying the reference materials. I want the left arm fairly relaxed while the right hand will be raised holding the blaster. The figure was looking a little 'odd' at times, but the lack of collar to the coat and the 'placeholder' head really change the dynamic of the very familiar outline. I have started some work on the left hand too but it still needs a little more attention, however, unable to resist any longer I have finally begun work on the head. I am going to try and document the sculpting process as best as I can but it is proving to be quite a challenge in every way. Pics of my progress soon…

Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinylight, it goes without saying that your sculpting skills are considerable. If you are not making a living doing this you should be... Shocked
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Bwood said ^ Seeing the degree of details on the clothes, I believe you've found trick and customizing tools to achieve said details.
I'm sure you're familiar with such tricks as to look at your sculpt in a mirror, or putting upside down (helps to see what clicks and what doesn't).

Keep up the great work and waiting for the next update!
Velvet Morning
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really dynamic folds and expressive hand tinylight! Reminds me of a J.C. Leyendecker painting!

Best- S.
tinylight
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bwood - Thank you for those kind words Smile

joberg - Thanks. I have gathered all sorts of tools and techniques over the years, however I generally forget to use them and end up using the same old handful of tools I've always used Wink

Velvet Morning - Wow! Leyendecker is a new discovery for me, thank you! I'll certainly be studying those works from now on.

Well, here goes…

When I started this project I knew I wouldn't be able to sculpt Deckard without sculpting Mr Ford, something I have been pretty nervous about. Creating any likeness is a challenge as the features are so familiar and any deviation from them is almost instantly obvious. Having collected as much reference material together as possible and having a look at other sculptural interpretations of Ford I thought I would try and document my progress, not only as a record of my attempt but also to give myself 'another view' to help me through the process.

I started with my 'placeholder' head. This was sculpted very quickly and was only meant to fill-in while I was sculpting the rest of the figure. However, sculpting it quickly and intuitively there were elements of it I quite liked, so instead of starting a completely new head I used this one to start to work back into. (excuse the fingers!)

I started to refine the face better describing the features. All the time I am checking photos and taking measurements to try and get the proportions of the face secured early on. I didn't want to go crazy on the details only to find I had to change them later on because I hadn't looked at my reference properly.

Further refining of the face. I am concentrating on the eyes and mouth more than the rest of the face at this point as these seem to be key elements of achieving the likeness. There is quite a few hours work here and frustratingly the likeness seems to shift between 'nearly there' and 'absolutely not' within the space of a few strokes of the sculpting tool. Returning to the piece after having a cup of tea is also yielding the same results. Ford's features are distinctive and yet subtle at the same time which is making them very hard to capture, resisting the urge to really start detailing one area over another is also very challenging.

There is still a way to go and lots more refining to do so hopefully I will have some more progress to show in the next couple of days…
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keeps getting better and better. Very fine job.

Andy
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinylight

I just discovered this thread and have to say this is the best sculpt I've seen of Deckard EVER. I have some garage kits (M1, Barsom and a couple more) and your is hands down the most dynamic, natural looking and and accurate.

Seeing this I can only hope you consider making some copies available, and I'm out of words really with your sculpt, attention to details and skills.

Please keep us updated in your progress, and please consider making a run of your amazing figure.
spinner 44
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the best Harrison Ford likeness that's been sculpted for me at this moment is Trevor Grove's 1/4 Indiana Jones Portrait of ROTL made for Sideshow,
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly getting there...you're right, one stroke and it's right, or wrong.
It really doesn't take much. Keep up the good work it's promising!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: