FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Mad Max 2......The Lord Humungus....Pistol, case and mask
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Mad Max 2......The Lord Humungus....Pistol, case and mask Reply with quote

Was watching the MM2 Blu Ray the other day and had a eureka moment when I realised the replica 357 I got for the MM1 display costume a few months back is the same as The Lord Humungus, Ruler of the Wastelands. Now I`m assessing if its feasible to put an accurate replica of the gun, scope, case and accessories together and after a only a couple of days the odds are better than good.

It all depends on the scope and mounts, if I cant get the exact ones it wont progress. I`m fairly sure that most of the Australian military and war effort pins can be found searching the ye olde shops I`m familiar with and I`ve already found the four exact military medals used on ebay, too pricey but at least now I`ve got all the details needed to find more. One less thing to look for as well is the skull and crossbones, when I got the MM2 fuel gauge a few years back, the guy threw in a resin replica of it just needs a little refinishing.

Here`s where I`m at with it after a few days.....

THE GUN AND SCOPE

The guns covered already, all that has to be done is to remove the rear sight. Hesitant to modify the finish of the MGC vintage 357 but it may be required. If I cant get any help online with the scope and mounts will use the same method finding the MM shotgun, hit the gun shops, yes we still have them here.

THE CASE

Would only use a replacement as a last resort, massive task finding the original but its very distinctive and a good chance to be found at the same places that would have the pins etc.

THE MEDALS

I don`t know how many times that ebay has helped me out with a project, not just buying stuff, but identifying stuff as well, generally anything in the vintage category is there if you look properly.
Here`s the ebay link
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VINTAGE-WW2-AUSTRALIAN-ARMY-MOUNTED-WAR-MEDALS-SET-TX11006-D-C-GRIGGS-/331115023219?pt=AU_Militaria&hash=item4d17fe4b73

PINS AND BUTTONS

Of these items only the three brass buttons will be the most likely not to ne an exact match as a clear picture is unavailable at this point, the rest as stated before can be found including the metal AUSTRALIA badge as found on WW2 slouch hats. Having the correct skull and crossbones is a huge bonus.

WEDDING PICTURE

Have found this and another picture that once hit with the magic stick should make up an excellent hi res substitute.

THE SCOPE AND MOUNTS

No luck on these yet though its only been a few days, done my head in looking on ebay. Hopefully someone can ID the make and model and recognise the mounts. If you do, please PM any details. Either this method or hitting the guns shops should produce a result.

So that`s where I`m at with this possible long term project, I really like the ones that come out of left field. Just as I`m putting all this together the thought of a screen accurate Lord Humungus face mask sitting on top of the case come`s to mind, it never ends.

Just noticed getting the pic`s of the gun that one side of the grips is cracked, only the recent heatwave we had can explain it, know where I can get wooden replacements?

Last edited by Mr Webber on Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:21 am; edited 1 time in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting project there mate As for the skull and cross bone, might come from Prussian Army 1870 if not mistaken...
Ebay Europe (Germany, Belgium) would be your best friend.

I'll be checking this thread for sure Wink
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate. Im all good on the skull and crossbones, it just needs a little smoothing out and a brass patina applied and the size is spot on.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real one is embossed steel/alu...but if you like yours that's what counts Wink
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken J, have got a couple similar scoped out just in case.Wink

Had some great luck on the replica war medal front, there`s several producers here and have already found two of the four needed just online at a fraction of the real deal.
Was a public holiday here today so will call about the other two tomorrow.

Here`s the link for others in the future.
http://allpurposeframing.com.au/ProductDetails/ww11---------/88/1308/pacific-star--full-size-

Next week will have time to hit a few gun shops and get the all important scope ID`d. Hope its not some rare Japanese deal worth a fortune.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link mate...and good luck in your search
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The replica medal company make all four of the case medals for $80 which is very handy. Still tracking the scope, will compromise on the mounts as Ive found some similar online.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That scope looks to be a tasco or a weaver. I think Tasco is the only scope to have white print in those locations though.

Smith released a model 29 with scope rings already installed, I believe they were made by Millet. Limited run stuff, hard to find.

Weaver or redfield probably makes something close, you may have to machine slots in the sight rib of your replica to get them to mount up properly.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, thanks Noeland. I would never have found out about the Smith 29 mounts otherwise. Cool
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the gun and case project don't pan out, Ive found the correct mask.It was listed incorrectly and only had 17 mins left in the auction when I found it.

The rear strapping shouldn't be a problem.

Because theres a local cobbler who is brilliant and cheap, he turned these tired original Rossiters into these.

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one on the mask Tim and that cobbler certainly knows what he's doing Cool
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers mate. Yeah, he`s a bit of a local legend and has a superb business name....George the cobbler. Cool
Looking forward to tackling the patina on the finished mask, may need some tips from you J.
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely Tim. Can't wait to see more.

Neil
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim for the vote of confidence. Looking at your screen cap, it seems they wanted to make the mask looks like it was made out of metal.

Maybe a coat of silver and after that a coat of grey, than removing the grey with turpentine where it shows some used spots?
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fella`s.

Probably best to experiment on the inside of the mask first with the finish I guess. Will try that out first J.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The case for the gun and pins looks very much like a box for a silverware serving set. I have collected many of them myself to use as gun/display cases and for vampire hunting kits.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I`m with you there Andy, if and when I start to look for it that's definitely the online search parameter before gun display case`s. I foresee a lot of shoe leather burned
off at country town second hand shops. I have to remember to take the 357 with me to get the scales correct. Highly concealed of course.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably only need a cutout of the gun or just a set of measurements that you could extract from the pics. most of these are pretty consistent in size which is why I pick them up all the time. Since the price of silver went up these became pretty much abandoned, and you can find them dirt cheap. I have also been picking up second hand velvet material too, in hopes of making gun cases for many of my Deckard gun replicas as well. Good luck with the hunt man.

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, a cut out would be more practical Embarassed Thanks Andy.

If you ever spot one in your travels that looks the goods, please let me know to collect your finders fee. Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a good look at the profile. I might even already have something close. An excuse to watch the movie again I guess Wink

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: