FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Original Blade Runner matte paintings for a museum show NYC

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VistaTaxi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Original Blade Runner matte paintings for a museum show NYC Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am trying to source original Blade Runner matte paintings for a big museum show in New York - does anyone have leads to collectors who have them and would be willing to lend or rent them for the time of the exhibition? Any help or leads would be more than appreciated, and we can provide all details about institution and show via PM.

Thanks in advance!

Vista
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen evidence of them since the film. I have heard that they are often scraped off of the glass to be reused after the film is done and rarely saved. I can't say for sure on this though. Unfortunately Matthew Yuricich passed away a few years ago, but I believe his brother Richard, who also worked on the film is still alive. Have you contacted Profiles in History? They have had more access to the props and production material than any other auction house, and may have dealt with them if they still exist. I rarely see matte paintings come up for auction I think because of their medium and size, and maybe truly are scraped off as I said before.

Good luck.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Andy said Vista: good luck. I've rarely seen mattes for sale and if any exists, it would be in the hands of private collectors, family members of the artist or WB.
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, being glass, they are really fragile. Probably most do not survive handling.

Shocking that they would scrape off the work to reuse the glass! Sad for history.

Tony
Bucky Cat
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at BOSS FILMS for a few years. Richard Edlund had bought EEG Effects from Trumbell to get going with GHOSTBUSTERS.

By the time I was there, they were beginning to transition into digital so the old matte department wasn't used. I spent free time looking through things and there were a number of the old matte paintings from BLADE RUNNER in there.

You may try investigating sales from BOSS FILMS when they closed their doors.

Good hunting.

Ted.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Ted...must've been great to see those for sure Shocked Cool
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/aug/27/business/fi-26219

The auction from 1998. No current information available..
http://international.go-dove.com/en/event-2064/BOSS-FILMS-SEALED-BID
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately there is no solid information as to the fate of the matte's.

The paintings MAY have been at BOSS at one time, when Richard took over the EEG (Entertainment Effects Group) facility and it's equipment when he started BOSS. There was definitely some Blade Runner material at Richard's a number of years ago and that was due to his acquisition of the EEG facility.

Unfortunately, they definitely weren't there when the warehouse was cleared after BOSS was closed. All that was left were a couple lesser mattes from Ghostbusters, a lot from Solar Babies and Solar Crisis. Any of the lesser paintings that couldn't be sold were donated to the Academy.

Matt Yuricich probably took them back at some point and one got sold a few years back through Profiles in History and another was put up for sale on Ebay about a dozen years ago.

I hope this helps.

Regards
MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for the info.
Sebastian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could Syd Mead own any of his matte work? He tends to keep his original artwork.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the small writing on the contract. Sometimes it's possible for an artist to keep his/her artwork seen in the movie...and sometimes not.
Looking at the many behind-the-scene/videos on YouTube, it seems that Syd Mead tends to keep his. It could be an avenue worth exploring
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of them is in the collection of sciencefictionarchives.com...
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestions as to how to get this website translated into English would be appreciated.
Thanks,
bwood
TM
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a lot on that website, but this seems to be about BR matte paintings:

http://www.sciencefictionarchives.com/fr/collections/176/peinture-sur-verre-originale-de-la-scene-du-toit-de-blade-runner

And using Google Translate, inaccurate as it is:

"Original Glass Painting Scene of Sun Blade Runner

The artist Syd Mead pre-drew all the Blade Runner film glass painting. Working directly on events from the film. He was preparing color sketch he submitted to director Ridley Scott. His proposals were generally accepted at once unless the first jet is intended to cover the roof, the first version was deemed trope "airy". It therefore prepared a second, resserée, Scott approved immediately before transmitting the artist Rocco Gioffre. Today Rocco Gioffre has over 90 films to his credit before Blade Runner but he worked only on glass paintings for the Third Meeting Type and Star Trek film. The production of Blade Runner early contacted Rocco Gioffre, one of the disciples of-Matte Painter Matthew Yuricich (Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, of Logan, 1941, 2010 Year We Make Contact ...) to lend a hand to him. But after Star Trek, Gioffre was founded in 1979 his own special effects company Dream Quest with five alumni of Douglas Trumbull. When Gioffre had honored its external contract, we hastened to hire. Generally Yuricich (1923-2012) worked day and Gioffre took over in the evening. Their collaboration lasted three months (while Matthew Yuricich spent nine consecutive months on Blade Runner), after which they realized four glass paintings very large, including that of continuing on the roof part of the collections of ScienceFictionArchives. com. The painting is 2.03 m wide 96.5 cm high.

Time of Dream Quest Rocco Gioffre worked on films like Gremlins, it then became freelance on Robocop, Dance with wolves, Hook Cliffhanger ... In 1997 he passed to digital and worked on Captain America: The First Avenger, Life of Pi ..."

Tony
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Tony; interesting info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: