FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
My Sidkit Dilemma
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RepliCAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:37 am    Post subject: My Sidkit Dilemma Reply with quote

About a year ago, I picked up a Sidkit blaster on evilbay, but some turbulent events left me unable to really do much with it until recently. Upon looking closer at it, I'm pretty sure I got hosed on the transaction. Apart from there being weird extra parts included, like a second set of electronics, a second sight rod in two pieces and different metals, a third trigger, and an extra (broken) cylinder arm to name a few, I now see that the receiver was broken as well and not a single one of the grips out of two sets it came with actually fit the grip frame. Not sure if this kit can be salvaged. Any opinions or words of advice?

Dunno what I can do with this or if I'm just out of luck.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The broken Steyr receiver is a common problem area. It can be fixed with some patience and some solder and some of the extra sidkit metal. Some people have inserted a brass rod to strengthen the area too.

Grips do not look to be a match for this earlier sidkit you have - they should have a hard line around the checkering area. If they are larger you are in luck and you will have to sand them down to fit. If the grips are smaller you may be out of luck as there is not a lot of metal to remove on the grip frame.

You definitely seem to have gotten the wrong grips.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use these instructions to see if you have all the right parts for this kit:

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1440
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like someone added some of my parts to the mix, the grips look like some of mine, as does the front trigger.

One fix would be to buy a new pair of grips, and perhaps a matching outer grip frame, the inner frame and butt plate might also be needed for a good match.

Drilling and inserting a brass pin is the best way to repair the receiver.

As it is covered by the cocking lever 90% of the time trying to solder it is a poor idea, you likely to lost all of the metal as you reach the melting point, just leave the crack is safer.

My 2 cents worth.

Rich
RepliCAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
The broken Steyr receiver is a common problem area. It can be fixed with some patience and some solder and some of the extra sidkit metal. Some people have inserted a brass rod to strengthen the area too.

Grips do not look to be a match for this earlier sidkit you have - they should have a hard line around the checkering area. If they are larger you are in luck and you will have to sand them down to fit. If the grips are smaller you may be out of luck as there is not a lot of metal to remove on the grip frame.

Fair enough, although I'm a little hesitant to do anything to the grips themselves for fear of ruining them. Guess it's good I've got a set to practice on? Haha

Buch wrote:
You can use these instructions to see if you have all the right parts for this kit: 

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1440

Nice, I'll go over everything I've got here after work to be sure. Thanks!

racprops wrote:
It looks like someone added some of my parts to the mix, the grips look like some of mine, as does the front trigger. 

One fix would be to buy a new pair of grips, and perhaps a matching outer grip frame, the inner frame and butt plate might also be needed for a good match.

I've read a bit about Sidkit and Coyle hybrid blasters, but I'm not well versed in just how compatible the parts can be. By any chance would I be able to buy these parts from you?

Thanks for the input, guys. It's a big relief knowing there's some hope in this. Serves me right for not doing my research before committing to buy, I was just too excited at the opportunity. Before buying this kit, all I had was the Off World model that's always on ebay. It's nice, but not what I really want from a blaster replica in terms of realistic feel.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again skip trying to solder it, pin it and live with the small crack, it is a clean break and should be nearly invisible.

Second I feel you will need a complete grip set to fix that and I think I can fill that order.

Rich
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The modularity of the blaster is pretty good but as Rich suggested I would get entire set of parts. Get the grips and the grip frame and the butt-plate from him and they will mate up perfectly with what you have. Maybe a touch of sanding but nothing too intense.

The good thing is most kits are based off of real parts like the charter Revolver parts so any add ons should fit the universal base cast part for the most part.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be possible to place the amber grips on the gun's (to see how much you have to work with Wink )
RepliCAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Would it be possible to place the amber grips on the gun's (to see how much you have to work with Wink )

Some of them aren't the best angles, but I did take some pictures of the grips laying on the frame.

Not the best angles, I can take more photos tonight. Mostly they seem to be oversized. The finger grooves don't match up to well and the screw holes don't match up at all.
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AS I said my newer grips on his copy of my OLD frame..

Rich
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the lighting, but it looks to me like you might have grips from 3 different kits. Do the larger grips line up when held together?
If Rich is offering his help, I would take it. His grips and grip frame should marry up with the rest of the sidkit with little work.
RepliCAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the grips seem to match up very well at all with each other so you may be right there.

After staring at the instructions for a few hours, I've come to find I'm not missing anything as far as I can tell. Just have a handful of extra stuff that makes it a little confusing.

Aside from needing to replace the grip set like Rich said, I should be good to go.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics...yep, too much work to try to fit those. Better to get new ones altogether.
RepliCAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had toyed with the idea of just making it with heavily modified/damaged grips and weather the bejeezus out of it to make it a costume piece for a post apocalypse festival, but given that it's my first blaster of its kind, I'd rather make it as well as I can.
RepliCAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, new grip frame, grips, and butt plate arrived on Saturday thanks to Rich. 16oz bottle of Jax Pewter Black arrived the day before that. Now I need to go get all the proper drill bits and tap sizes. Never used taps before, so this should be a fun learning experience. In the mean time, I got bored and started shining up the receiver. Picked up brass rod at the hobby store to repair it but waiting for a day off to really sit down and focus on the build.

I remember seeing a post somewhere that had all the tap sizes listed and a link to a set that had them all, but the search function is pulling up everything but, so I will wing it later on today.
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I remember seeing a post somewhere that had all the tap sizes listed and a link to a set that had them all, but the search function is pulling up everything but, so I will wing it later on today.

Seems to me Rich posted that at some point, maybe he can help you out..
RepliCAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it. Took me a bit of digging around, I'd forgotten the title of the thread so I was having to reread everything all over again.

Now to order the drill bits and taps, and since I've got Monday off, it'll be a nice day to sit down and make some real progress.
RepliCAN
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which style of taps are best to use? The taper, plug, or bottom style?
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taper, plug and bottom is mainly for deeper threads into a dead end hole which most of these are not, only the ones for the butt plate are and just drill deeper.

Note tip: Drill a little and pull out and clean your drill bit, a build up on your drill bit and tap can jam it up and then break off in the hole.

Also use taping oil.

Rich
kurtyboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the soft metal you can get away without taps. Just drill and then screw the hardware in and it will make the threads.

I recently heavily modified my Sidkit grips and frame. I filled the holes with a spare metal bullet and solder iron and filed them down, lined up the grips as best as I could and drilled new holes, then filed the grips to fit the frame.

Then sanded up to 2500 grit, use scratch remover and polish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: