FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Gary Numan and Blade Runner connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Gary Numan and Blade Runner connection Reply with quote

We had the thread about Adam Ant and his influences both by Blade Runner, and also in Blade Runner. Now it seems I just realized something very odd about Gary Numan and his concept album with his band Tubeway Army, called 'Replicas'. The album was based slightly on a story Gary was writing, that had loose connections to Phillip K. Dick's DADoES. It had the hit song "Are Friends Electric?", and of course the title "Replicas", but it was released in 1979. He called his androids with cloned human flesh, "Machmen". Remember the term "Replicants" was created by the second writer David Peoples partway into production. In the book and early scripts they were "Androids" and "Andys". I am sure it is just a coincidence, but it is still very cool.

I just realized something very odd about Gary Numan and his concept album with his band Tubeway Army, called 'Replicas'. The album was based slightly on a story Gary was writing, that had lose connections to Phillip K. Dick's DADoES. It had the hit song "Are Friends Electric?", and of course the title "Replicas", but it was released in 1979. He called his androids with cloned human flesh, "Machmen". Remember the term "Replicants" was created by the second writer David Peoples partway into production. In the book and early scripts they were "Androids" and "Andys". I am sure it is just a coincidence, but it is still very cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replicas_(album) ...you may have to cut and paste the link

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting Andy; I guess Gary Numan's best movie must be Blade Runner Wink It would be great to know who was the instigator of the word Replicant (that is the first person/writer to have done so).
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joberg,
If I remember correctly, I think it was Peoples' daughter who was getting a degree in some advanced science or other. At the time he was writing, she was studying DNA RNA 'replication' etc ... and suggested 'Replicant' as the term to use in lieu of "Android" or whatever. David liked it and it stuck ...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Photek...you're right, I had forgotten that bit of info Confused
Creme Brulee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late to the party on this, but definitely not to Gary Numan. Plus I've been away from the forum for about 3yrs, been doing my other hobby which just happens to be playing Synths.

I've been a fan of Gary Numan since 1979 and have seen him perform from the early years up until the present. I have also met him, he's a very nice guy and talked at length with him about music production. Anyway his favourite film is indeed Blade Runner and yes Replicas the Pleasure Principle and Telecon are about a dark machine world. Now with regards to the "Machmen" this is my take.

Years ago when Mr Webb (Gary Numan) was 17 and with one of his mates, I think it was the late Paul Gardner (his then bass player) went into Central London, as Gary wanted to buy a bass guitar - the one he played the first riff for his hit Cars. Anyhow as they are heading back on the tube they see a man walking in front of them smoking and dressed in 1940's clothing, long grey coat trilby hat etc. They walk up a small flight of stairs, in front of them is a wall with a tunnel to the left and a tunnel to the right, the man looks back at them and nods and turns left, Gary and his mate turn right and as they do Gary looks back at the man only to see that the tunnel has been bricked up years ago and the man has disappeared. There is no way he could have dubble back on himself as he would have been seen, he's just vanished into thin air! This is Gary's "Ghost" the one which on the early albums pops up in song. Gary's "Machman".

Now to get Back to creating that Voxhumana patch so I can attempt to play said Cars Cool
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story indeed! TFS with us Crème Brulee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: