FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
ADMIN QUESTION: NECROPOSTING

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: ADMIN QUESTION: NECROPOSTING Reply with quote

Hi guys! Great job with the boards. I've been a user for years but have a simple question since I have never really understood the issue of "necroposting" from an admin's point of view.

While I see how a user would post on an old thread to try and prompt new activity, how does that affect an admin's monitoring duties? I have read some rather rabid attacks on unwitting necroposters and have picked up that it can make site monitoring more difficult, but never really understood how.

You guys have always been very hospitable to users, so I thought I'd ask you.

Could you clue a guy in?

Thanks,
Darrell
aka fengiddel86
Starrigger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen necroposting bubbles old stale content to the top while pushing truly new content down, It makes it difficult for users and admin to spot new content that needs attention. For busy boards this is deadly, but for boards that have little traffic not as bad.

Usually I've seen people get upset with necro if the poster has nothing important to add to the discussion.

From a social aspect It,s kinda like yelling in a library...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necro-posting is not really an issue here. We're an easy going bunch for the look of it. Wink So, if you're interested by the thread (or new, for example): post away.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep...that's why I like it! Smile thanks for the responses, guys.
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for all of the Admins, but my opinion is that, with 31 topics showing on the first page of each forum sub-heading, a single old post rising to the top occasionally and pushing newer topics down isn't really going to be a problem. It may bring back a subject that the old timers forgot or that newer members hadn't seen yet (there are over 400 different threads in the first sub-forum alone!). If the topic is no longer of interest, it'll quickly disappear again, and the more relevant ones will rise back up.

If someone makes a major habit of it and it does become a problem, then don't hesitate to bring it to our attention and we'll address it then. Otherwise, as has been mentioned above, we're a pretty laid back group here, so problems are relatively rare.
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Pete. I think you guys have pretty much summed up my reasons and motivations for necroposting the rare times I do so. 😉
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually enjoy the rare necropost. Many of us have been at it for a long time and have forgotten more than we currently know See an old post, is most of the time nostalgic and there could be new information to add to it.

Otherwise, like Pete said, if it is a purposeful issue that someone necroposts for no reason, then we will take a look. Otherwise, we have a great community here that I believe is unique in the prop/replica prop world of forums.

All my best,

Tom
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom! You make a good point. With most boards indexed by the search engines, folks happen upon a topic of interest more often, I think, which is how I stumbled upon the cool Nostromo discussions. Of course these led to the blueprinting threads, which I've enjoyed immensely! I'm using those to maintain a "list" things to include in a deck plan project. Propsummit is great!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually prefer necroposting rather than creating a new post that rehashes the same info. It helps people realize that much of the questions new people have on the boards has already been discussed often very deeply, and it shows that someone knows how to use the search function, and is willing to do research themselves. I see far too often on Facebook and other BBS groups where people ask the same question over and over again just because they are too lazy to google it. This is much more annoying than necroposting.

Necroposting allows old topics to not only find life again, but be more fully fleshed out with new info, and also more importantly, keep a lot of good information under one thread, rather than spread out over a number of redundant threads, making the process of doing the research that much harder.

Andy
FenGiddel
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Andy! I agree with the points you've made. And it makes things easier on guys like me when building a knowledge base of things established in discussions. Like the Nostromo blueprints and the deck plan project. I can just browse the thread back to Day One to be sure I get all the sidebars and nuances, as I compile an FAQ, that I'd miss if they were scattered over several threads.

Cheers,
Darrell
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Forum Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: