FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Spinner Model Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Spinner Model Help Reply with quote

Can anyone here please tell me if these two are the same model or not.

Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLADE-RUNNER-SPINNER-POLICE-CAR-1-24-SCALE-MODEL-KIT-MADE-BY-FUJIMI-/191751094386?hash=item2ca5418072:g:vO4AAOxyVLNSsv6y

Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/scale-Blade-Runner-Spinners-plastic/dp/B005LYLZFY/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The Amazon one has no other pics I can find, does it come with stickers, etc???

Any info would be helpful.

I want to pick one of these up ASAP.

Thanks

Last edited by jameth on Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also can someone tell me how big these are??? I am guessing 13" or so??

Thanks
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, also anyone know about this one:

http://www.monstersinmotion.com/cart/sci-fi-as-in-science-fiction-item-listt-c-9_188/spinner-car-17-inch-model-assembly-kit-p-4311
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay sorry again but while I am at it what do people think of the Randy cooper Spinner. Size, difficulty, etc?

Thanks
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that both are the same (Ebay, Amazon).
The one on MIM is not and of lesser quality.
Randy's one is the bomb. Made for the good model-maker. He used to sell them finished, but you'll have to pay $3000 Wink
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joberg wrote:
Seems to me that both are the same (Ebay, Amazon).
The one on MIM is not and of lesser quality.
Randy's one is the bomb. Made for the good model-maker. He used to sell them finished, but you'll have to pay $3000 Wink

Not that I could ever afford it but I asked and Randy said he is too busy doing kits so he does not do full builds anymore.

I think I will get the Randy one down the line but for now I ordered the Spinner and Deckard Sedan from Japan.

Thanks
Cydonia
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Randy. He's a really nice guy and his skills are at least equal to the late Thomas Sasser (also a friend--if l can name drop). His Spinner is the best l've seen, with lots of little extras like decals and translucent slides that can be backlit for the interior monitors. The doors can be opened, the wheels move and the front covers can rotate open or closed. All windows, monitor screens and lights are molded in clear. He also offers a Deckard and Gaff set, but he did not master these--and it shows. They are poorly cast, have only a passing resemblance to the characters and are slightly undersized. I ordered them from the original caster and it took him over two years to get them to me. Not recommended.

On the other hand, the MIM kit is dreck. l bought it around 1999 and put a lot of effort into accurizing it before l abandoned it. 95% of it is a one-piece hollowcast, warped and inaccurate yellow-white resin. No clear parts other than the windshield, one back tire was so out of shape it looked like it had a flat. Gaff and Deck are molded into their seats, the cockpit has few details and there are no decals (any lettering is actually molded into the kit--you are expected paint on these details). When l opened up the rear end to add lighting, l had to saw through a golfball-sized blob of resin inside. Other areas, the resin is paper thin.

The only really redeeming feature of this kit are the figures' heads. They are molded well and bear a pretty passing resemblance to Ford and Olmos. I will probably use them in Randy's kit. However, this is not a good enough reason to purchase this rather poor kit. lt is good enough for a beginner to practice on, but not worth the pain of making it accurate.

Save your pennies and get Randy's kit.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TFS Cydonia. You're right when saying that Randy's Spinner is the best so far.
Some Japanese models could also be transformed, but good luck trying to get one in the U.S. or Canada Crying or Very sad
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cydonia wrote:
I know Randy. He's a really nice guy and his skills are at least equal to the late Thomas Sasser (also a friend--if l can name drop). His Spinner is the best l've seen, with lots of little extras like decals and translucent slides that can be backlit for the interior monitors. The doors can be opened, the wheels move and the front covers can rotate open or closed. All windows, monitor screens and lights are molded in clear. He also offers a Deckard and Gaff set, but he did not master these--and it shows. They are poorly cast, have only a passing resemblance to the characters and are slightly undersized. I ordered them from the original caster and it took him over two years to get them to me. Not recommended.

On the other hand, the MIM kit is dreck. l bought it around 1999 and put a lot of effort into accurizing it before l abandoned it. 95% of it is a one-piece hollowcast, warped and inaccurate yellow-white resin. No clear parts other than the windshield, one back tire was so out of shape it looked like it had a flat. Gaff and Deck are molded into their seats, the cockpit has few details and there are no decals (any lettering is actually molded into the kit--you are expected paint on these details). When l opened up the rear end to add lighting, l had to saw through a golfball-sized blob of resin inside. Other areas, the resin is paper thin.

The only really redeeming feature of this kit are the figures' heads. They are molded well and bear a pretty passing resemblance to Ford and Olmos. I will probably use them in Randy's kit. However, this is not a good enough reason to purchase this rather poor kit. lt is good enough for a beginner to practice on, but not worth the pain of making it accurate.

Save your pennies and get Randy's kit.

Is there any consensus out there on the best character models (that fit Cooper's spinner kit)?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that to achieve the best characters to fit into Randy's Spinner (or a Roswell one) is to dress like Deckard (accurate costume of course) go to a 3-D rendering company that makes copies of people(new fad lately...check on line) sit in a similar type of seat and voilĂ !

Repeat the same scenario with Gaff
Wink
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL!
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we could convince tinylight to take on the task? The Deckard Sculpt was breathtaking.

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=4837&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be plan B Wink
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Is there any consensus out there on the best character models (that fit Cooper's spinner kit)?

The ones Randy makes for his Spinner would likely be best.
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trick with Randy's Spinner figures, so I'm told, is to do some fine prepaint sculpting and in the painting. I recently had them built and my builder did a terrific job. There's no way in hell I could have done better. He even added little chopsticks in the Deckard figure's hand. I'll post some pics over the weekend. He'll be building a Cooper Metrokab and death lamp base next which leads me to a question. Anyone with a Cooper Spinner or Metrokab have it/them displayed in a Detolf cabinet from Ikea? Do they fit?
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have about 17"/18" to play with (diagonal) in a Detolf.
I have the Batmobile from Hot Wheels (11 1/2") and it fits well in that position. If your Spinner is 17" you might be out of luck...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Studio Scale All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: