FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Overwhelmed with my Coyle, worried about Offword...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jinxed
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject: Overwhelmed with my Coyle, worried about Offword... Reply with quote

Time to make a decision.

When I discovered this forum looking for my first blaster, I lucked into an open spot on a Coyle Worldcon Propsummit LE kit. I sort of jumped in without really knowing anything from anything and was soon the owner of #28 of 50. While I was waiting for it, I got a full costume, phil holster, made a badge etc. Then the blaster showed up. To say I felt way out of my league would be an understatement. I am good at taking something and modifying it, but this is a ground up type of kit. I had no idea it was so involved so I started reading every build thread I could find.

Although I came to a much better understanding of the blaster, it's parts, and assembly, I also learned that these pewter models are very accurate and great for display but not really suited for "using". Essentially, pushing this into my holster and carrying it around in costume is not advised. I'm not really a cosplay guy, BUT, I do enjoy getting dressed up for parties, cons, and halloween outings. That was a main motivation for getting it.

Feeling overwhelmed with the build, and no longer motivated to finish it only to sit next to my holster left me a bit cold and I put it away.

Every so often I unpack the pieces and try to imagine them as the whole, but it's pretty vague. Then I start feeling foolish for having all this stuff and never using it.

So the dilemma. Would I be better to pass this on to someone looking for an accurate kit, and then get an Offworld that I can "play with" and confidently mod? Even though I am not overly worried about the scale issue with the Offworld, and they are coming with mostly metal parts, would I be disappointed? Should I just push through my build and reap the reward for having done it with a great piece of display and be super careful handling it?

What's embarrassing is, never having seen ANY blaster in person, I'm doubtful I'd have the knowledge to even know the difference if it weren't for this forum.
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never built up a Coyle, but have heard that they are somewhat of a challenging kit. I have built Tomens, though, which I would consider... well not hard, but certainly not without its challenges either.

What about the Coyle is overwhelming you right now? My advice would be to start with something simple like "today I'm going to remove all the flashing and clean up the parts." Then "today I'm going to install the triggers into the bulldog." Just little goals that lead you closer each day. I would probably still get an Offworld or something for parties, though. Nothing like having a few too many Johnnie Walkers and dropping your blaster Shocked
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to go is to consider that I do offer both fully finished models and have up grade some kits by finishing them for the difference between the kit price and the full built model price.

My built models cost $1500.00 so as these kits were $600.00 then the balance would be $900.00 plus shipping.

This upgrade also includes a Display stand, and a COA.

If interested contact me at: racprops@cox.net

Rich
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on your skill as a builder. With the kit there are a lot of parts and they require some skill to get it assembled and finished nicely - not rocket science by any means but a difficult build without experience and the necessary tools.

The Off World Manufacturing blaster sounds like it would fit your needs best especially if scale and accuracy are not paramount to you. The OWM is a very nice piece and it can be handled a great deal as it is more like a very high end toy. Vs. the Coyle which is a piece of art that is way more accurate but definitely more fragile and would be best used as a display/light handling affair. I would not recommend taking one to a party because jostling around in a holster will I think damage it and if it ever fell it would get either slightly damaged or really badly damaged.

Having said all that I think you should buy the all metal Upgraded OWM version take it apart - they are very easy to get back together - and it can be used as a good 3D guide on how the Coyle goes together. Its win win - one for the shelf one for Halloween or holstering handling etc.

Because at the end of the day you can't have just one. Wink
Dascoyne
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with folks who said you should take on the project piecemeal and purchase an offworld to brandish. You need both.

If you sell that Coyle today you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon and for the rest of your life.
Kokanee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed this blaster from Jinxed and am mostly finished after a few days of puttering about here and there. One thing I cannot figure out is the chamber assembly. Right now with just the arm and chamber the chamber keeps flopping out of the frame... I know it has something to do with the brass rodd and tubing I've got in the package, but can't figure it out.

Thoughts anyone?
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the links to the instructions on building these. Note these cover a couple of versions.

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/racprops/library/Propsummit%20SE%20Blade%20Runner%20kit%20instructions?sort=3&page=1

There are a lot of subfolders in the above.
http://s922.photobucket.com/user/racprops/library/2011A%20Model/Building%20the%20new%20ammo%20clip?sort=3&page=1

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/racprops/library/Assambly%20Instructions%202011%20two%20part%20models/NEW%20Side%20cover%20Hidden%20wires?sort=3&page=1

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/racprops/library/Assambly%20Instructions%202011%20two%20part%20models/NEW%20Trigger%20Guard?sort=3&page=1
Kokanee
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, do you have a complete list of the drills and taps needed to build the kit?

racprops wrote:
Here are the links to the instructions on building these. Note these cover a couple of versions.

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/racprops/library/Propsummit%20SE%20Blade%20Runner%20kit%20instructions?sort=3&page=1

There are a lot of subfolders in the above.
http://s922.photobucket.com/user/racprops/library/2011A%20Model/Building%20the%20new%20ammo%20clip?sort=3&page=1

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/racprops/library/Assambly%20Instructions%202011%20two%20part%20models/NEW%20Side%20cover%20Hidden%20wires?sort=3&page=1

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/racprops/library/Assambly%20Instructions%202011%20two%20part%20models/NEW%20Trigger%20Guard?sort=3&page=1

racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a little crude but I use it all the time:

And:

Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! Thanks, Rich Very Happy Will definitely make shopping for drills and taps easier!
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your welcome.

Rich
Kokanee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blaster in question so far; still have some trigger work to do and the electronics but other than that she's pretty much done.

http://imgur.com/a/5Pm3P
Kokanee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what size of battery fits in the coyle kits? It's smaller than a CR123.....
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My model uses a 1/2 AA 3.6 volt battery number of XL-050F

Rich
Kokanee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich! Can't wait to get this baby lighted up!
Kokanee
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah baby!

(Still WIP)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there you go It's looking good. Any plan for the final colour of the Steyr?
Kokanee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to find something to darken it up some to match the original prop
QuartZ
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to try chemicals next? I think that's where you'll end up. Depending on the metal composition of the casting, dilution, how you apply the chemicals, and how many "passes/coats" you apply, you'll get different results.

Here's some options:

1. Jax: Pewter Black
2. Birchwood Casey: Aluminum Black
3. Birchwood Casey: Perma Blue

Also, your surface prep, polish, and cleaning prior to using chemicals matters! It's a bit of a game and experimentation/practice is the key.

-Dana
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: