FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckards holster conversion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:56 am    Post subject: Deckards holster conversion Reply with quote

Here are two "bad" pictures of the begining of my Deckard holster conversion. I am getting the rest of the tools to finish hopefully this week.

airhead
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good start. I'm assuming that's from a shoulder rig - what was the original holster like? The "open-face" style requires a springy metal or plastic insert to hold the gun in place - does yours have this? If not, are you relying on the stiff leather to do the job? And lastly, was this an original open-face or have you cut along the back seam, can't tell from the pics, but it almost looks like it was - just shortened. Yes?

David
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orgional was made for a long barreled revolver and was "open faced" but sewn at the bottom. There is a steel spring in it that runs through the holster and holds the gun in there very tightly. Too tightly for a coyle C&S because it would break off any greeblies. But for my early coyle stunt and my coyle stunt kit (didn't glue on the rod) I have no problem with them yet. It should work well for the MiM offworld gun as well. I am also going to have to cut slots in it for a belt loop or add a piece of what I cut off to make the loop. The one on it would be too loose because it was made to work with the shoulder straps. Deckard's version I believe had slits cut into it.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,

That rig is looking fantastic!!! Do you recall what the original holster was? I unfortunately cannot remember for the life of me!

Otherwise, please keep us updated

Tom
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I PM you with the info. After the Knob debaucle I don't think I want the info public just yet. The info is easy enough to find though.
darthsnikelfritz
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey andy,
Thats turning out to be cool looking holster. I always thought the holster was custom made from scratch up until six months ago. BTW, a question for the blaster in your pic. Never seen one with black grips or is it a original cast? Can we see some more pics of the blaster as well?
Thanks
darthsniks
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Blaster is as far Ias I am told an early Coyle, before he teamed up with Phil for the C&S. He was making them based off of castings from a stunt blaster. That might be why the black color because it was trying to look like a stunt blaster. I will post more pics of it when I get a new camera. Hopefully soon if not after Christmas. There is another pic of it at the zero haliburton case thread. Rich may chime in anytime to give more info on it too.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I missed this thread, any new progress on the holster?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started making templates to match the front and back top part. I keep trying to get pics of the origional and I did find one in the auction it was in, but my caps of it are blurry. Eltee has been giving me info on it as well as Phil S.. I am hoping to borrow leather working tools to resew it up. A friend who does leather work for ren fairs has offered extra supplies to me to use along with basic instruction. My main obstacle is the top cut and the belt loop. I may have to forgo accuracy and just do it how I like it best. Not having good pics has made me very timmid with it. It fits my stunts and the offworld perfectly. I don't dare put a C&S in it because the external greeblies would just snap off in it. I will use it to make more templates so I can replicate it later if I want. I like the patina of the used one though and I hope to keep it that way. Phil has warned me of the dificulty of working from the existing holster, because even the screen-used one ended up being made custom from scratch, only based on the existing holsters. Basicly I am going slow and steady on it so I don't end up screwing it up...at least too bad Wink
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but my caps of it are blurry

Well, I have several pics of the holster on his hip, and some pics of the PIH Bryant's holster auction. Anyway, here are a few of what I have, hope they help.

Njc------------------
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool...you did get a couple I don't have or at least better res copies of the. Thank you a lot.

andy
Jedirick
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always been bothered by the unsubstantial belt and how the holster appears to be attached. I guess holster clips and sleeves have spoiled me.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean. Modern holsters are very stable, and that thing looks like it would flop all over the place and the gun would fall out every 3 steps.

Njc--------------
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never heard that the screen used holster was custom made. Interesting news. My understanding was that it was an off-the-shelf (back in the day) Safariland brand holster...the one with both a belt loop and a belt slot designed to draw the butt in closer for better concealment.

The wire spring retention system used the cylinder as a retention point.

I converted a couple of the same era Safariland shoulder holsters as I liked using vintage leather. The shoulder holster as used by Bryant seems more plentiful than the belt version, so I had to resort to cutting up a couple. Here's my first one:

In order to make the blaster fit better, I wet molded the holster to reshape the leather. It now fits fine, but I am very careful when holstering or unholstering.

Here's what it looks like with a blaster inserted. The fit is snug, but not so tight as to damage the gun.

Last edited by eltee on Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!! That turned out fantastic! How long did you have to let it sit to retain the shape?

eltee wrote:
I'd never heard that the screen used holster was custom made. Interesting news. My understanding was that it was an off-the-shelf (back in the day) Safariland brand holster...the one with both a belt loop and a belt slot designed to draw the butt in closer for better concealment.

The wire spring retention system used the cylinder as a retention point.

I converted a couple of the same era Safariland shoulder holsters as I liked using vintage leather. The shoulder holster as used by Bryant seems more plentiful than the belt version, so I had to resort to cutting up a couple. Here's my first one:

In order to make the blaster fit better, I wet molded the holster to reshape the leather. It now fits fine, but I am very careful when holstering or unholstering.

eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only long enough for the leather to thoroughly dry, maybe overnight. It is the same technique custom holster makers use. They use an aluminum casting of a gun or a real gun wrapped in thin plastic (Saran Wrap), wet the leather and "bone" in the detail.

In fact, it was a leathersmith who did the cutting and restitching on my shoulder holster conversions. He was not familiar with Blade Runner, and when I sent him photos of the blaster he was further confused. A couple of phone calls and a cutting diagram solved everything.

The reason I had to use clamps was to help reshape the wire spring in addition to reshaping the leather.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got ya!!! Very cool indeed, thank you for the information.

Tom
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking to a leather smith now about replicating the holster from mine. He also works with some metal workers from Ren fairs. I will let everybody now if we decide upon doing a run or not. I have seen different versions of the hoster on ebay but not a perfect match yet, and the belt style apears to be made for a smaller gun. The shoulder holster seems to be the best match so far, but needs extensive modification. Including, cuttin down, restitching with new spine, and somehow making and attaching a new belt loop. I will make patterns when I finish mine.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
If there's any way I can help, you have my email. Good luck with your project! Exclamation
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: just got mine Reply with quote

just got my holster off ebay and I have to start on it tonite,cant wait ...
The information here should help....probably going to a shoemaker to get the stitching done I have worked with leather before but not this thick...I will send photos when its done as well ....
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: