FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
• THE FORBIDDEN FRONTIER

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:28 pm    Post subject: • THE FORBIDDEN FRONTIER Reply with quote

TREK INTO THE BEYOND

NOTE: I did post a short rant on this earlier in mid-2016, removed due to lack of responses, much like this continuation. Sad

After all my years on The Summit, dare I again approach the "quadrant" of the genre covered in so much depth elsewhere?

Forgive, but I must boldly go there. Perhaps someone here has an answer.

My interest in sci-fi started long before ALIEN or Blade Runner were yet conceived (even the novel on which BR is based was yet to be published).
There were the classics, but it was TREK that hooked me.

Last year ANOVOS offered an apparently decent kit of the updated phaser from "Beyond". Two days after I discovered it, when I returned to their site it was listed as "sold out". Disappointed, I shrugged it off, but remained curious . . .

Occasionally I visit the RPF, but from what I have read there, (like others) ANOVOS has a sometimes questionable practice/policy regarding ordering (To be fair, I plan to check with them personally). From these reports they only issue credit if production is cancelled, forcing you to chose another item in hopes that IT will be delivered. If this is in fact true, perhaps I dodged a stun setting.

So. Was this item ever produced? Ever delivered? Or one of those that was cancelled? I had hopes of possibly finding some notice or even an overpriced listing on eBay. Google seems to show nothing except dead links to their mid-2016 announcement. I found nothing specific on the RPF, not wanting to waste more time there, looking.

So, in this instance The Summit becomes my final frontier, for now - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: The "NO" in ANOVOS Reply with quote

UPDATE 1702.08 REVISED

No, this is not an entry into a Captain's Log. Far from it, but in doing a bit more digging on the status of the 'BEYOND' phaser kit from ANOVUS, I eventually found my answer, and felt compelled to reveal it here and make those interested aware of the situation. It was never "SOLD OUT". It was pulled.

As collectors, we often find that "the early bird does indeed get the worm". If you don't "pre-order", and early, you literally pay the consequences in higher costs on eBay or elsewhere, once the item is SOLD OUT. So what choice is left? over-extend yourself up front with nothing to show for it for months or more, or overpay later.

I had missed that 'window of opportunity' to place a preorder for a kit of the updated phaser from "STAR TREK: BEYOND". Hoping I might find one offered later, elsewhere online, I stumbled upon a minor controversy that might be of interest here -

That of Cancellations and ANOVOS's vague and somewhat shifty refund policy - offering only online credit for items they themselves cancel.

It seems the phaser offered only a few months ago was soon-after pulled by ANOVUS supposedly due to lack of interest, but in contradiction to their stated policy of refunding the amount to anyone cancelling BEFORE an item ships, they instead made answers difficult to obtain, with little effort to respond to inquires. Then only offering store credit to those unfortunate enough to have committed money and trusted their process with a pre-order.

While in my experience, in the past, they have and seem to produce mostly accurate, well-made (albeit expensive) products, their message now seemed clear 'BEWARE OF PREORDERS'. This seems contradictory to a model that they seem to live by.

I had discovered this response on the RPF, sent to a victim of this ruse.

"Dear [i]valued ANOVOS customer,

Many of the costumes and accessories we produce have a strong, but limited, appeal to a very niche market of fans. With your help, through the use of the pre-order model, we are able to license, research, and ultimately deliver dream items from our favorite sci-fi TV shows and films---both old and new. However, occasionally we do not receive enough interest in a particular product to make it viable.

Unfortunately, the Star Trek™ Beyond Type-1B Hand Phaser Kit has been canceled. We will be issuing you a 100% Refund as Store Credit: Please contact our customer support team with your order number and the name of the person who placed the order. You can use our online ticket system, send us a message via our Facebook page, or contact us through Live Chat on ANOVOS.com from Monday-Friday, 9am-1pm Pacific."[/i]

I might question the short time they even offered this item. Props in the Trek franchises like Trek and Star Wars, continue to sell long after an episode or film is released. - R13

Last edited by Replicant 13 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:17 am; edited 5 times in total
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: THE PLOT THINS Reply with quote

DOING MY HOMEWORK

Sadly, the "Beyond" phaser kit seems lost for now, but delving deeper and reading the further comments over on the RPF, it seems the situation is somewhat resolved. Time will tell. Promises have been made by one of ANOVOS's founders that the situation will be corrected, along with several other concerns. I hope so.

With ICONs, Master Replicas and others entities in the past, even now some replica businesses seem threatened by overpromising and unforeseen delays. It remains to be seen who will survive, but their future will depend on how they deal with this marketplace and the quality they offer and can maintain.

I would hate to return to those darker days when few things were licensed and even fewer were worth the cost of a ticket to the local convention. At least there are forums like this where fans can discover those things "that people wouldn't believe . . ." - R13
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: