FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
• OUTLAND - The O'Niels' Portrait
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: • OUTLAND - The O'Niels' Portrait Reply with quote

OK, any fans or pseudo-fans of the 1981 film "OUTLAND" starring Sean Connery.

Has anyone seen or does anyone know of a decent capture/copy of the portrait photo that Marshall O'Niel has hanging to the left of his workstation in his quarters (shown below)?

For some time I have searched in vain for this. There seems to be precious few props available from this movie, and aside from a poor screen capture, I've found little to go on here.

Thanks! - R13
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here`s the best shot I could get from the movie, hope its a help.

Noticed for the first time today that the famous Racal headset makes a brief appearance.

Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: REZ-SOLUTION Reply with quote

Thank you Mr. Webber!

I never expected to receive a response so quickly!

Yes, this image will help! I've been working from a similar screencap (that admittedly is not quite so clean), so it's a bit of a handicap.

In spite of what many think can be done with computers (as "witnessed" on TV shows like "CSI"), it still falls to GI-GO (Garbage In, Garbage Out). A fuzzy image remains so.

Even after 35 years there must be someone involved or on the fringes of the production who has a copy of that photo. Perhaps filed away, gathering dust.

I will continue my efforts. Perhaps someone will eventually reveal a source.

Again, thank you! This does help.

HAB1! - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: WITHOUT A TRACE Reply with quote

Since nothing further on this photo has been forthcoming (and I didn't expect any new revelations this soon anyway), I am pressing forward, using what reference I have now to illustrate and Photoshop myself toward an answer.

But without an initial tracing to enhance and add definition, it would be an immediate dead end -

On Jupiter's Moon No One Can Hear You Draw. - R13
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another option that may work. A substitute for the original picture using different images of the original content. Have employed this in the past to cover those impossible ID card pictures etc.

Here`s the best two pictures I could capture of the mother and son that might sit well in a staged picture situation.

I cant get captures from my PC so the pictures are in 720p resolution but if you can get them from the full 1080p format there should be a boost in quality.

The two pics are around 1 : 10 : 13 in the movie timeline. A rejigged version of these two pics set on a very gettable replica frame would be very cool.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: DOUBLE IMAGE Reply with quote

Mr. W -

WOW! Again, thanks. These are great reference and your suggestion is noted. However, I intend to get as close as I can to the actual pose shown in O'Niel's workstation pic.

A challenge, but unless (and until) a better source image pops up, that's my goal.

More to come. R13
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

You`ve motivated me to re open an old project I wanted when I was in my Capricorn One phase. Maybe we should write to Mr Hyams and see if he kept the pics.

Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: SNAIL MAIL Reply with quote

So. You got an address? Smile - R13
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: FIRST SCRATCHES Reply with quote

Moving ahead . . . There are other ways to tackle this, but I am starting by trying a trace to determine/define some details that are hard to see or blurred. As I have done before - with my HORN, ZORD and FASH covers, and others, this helps determine the "parts" needed. It then begins a lengthy search for photos that can be dissected, using these parts to reconstruct a face or a body - whatever. A nose here, an eyelash there, reshaping a lip.

If the original image is not available - or as in this case, screen captures are a bit too small and blurred, it becomes a combination of hunting, mixing illustration with photography to achieve the right angles and lighting and to sharpen the image and a bit of retouching. If I'm lucky I can find other photos of a subject or the person that lend themselves well to the needs.

In the case of these movies, that can be quite the challenge. The angle may be right of an face, but the lighting is off, or vice versa. That problem is sometimes more apparent when you see a movie poster where an actor's head is cloned onto a stand-in's body and the lighting is off or the angle is odd. This was more obvious in the earlier days of digital manipulation when studios' eagerness to save a buck was obvious, but still happens from time to time.

Several come to mind, but will not be mentioned here. - R13
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like watching an episode of CSI seeing this come together. Cool
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: CSI Reply with quote

Much lower tech . . . - R13

And CSI cheats.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: BLURRING REALITY Reply with quote

Taking the next step and testing a composite, this tighter sketch is merged with an overlaying screencapture, modified to reveal more background shapes, at the loss of tone.

A working still in progress.

Of course some degree of creative license must be taken, with best guesses on the finer detail. O'Niel's son, Paulie ,wore braces on his teeth. The background on the photo is quite dark and merges with their hair, exposing only the stronger highlights, so I rely on other reference gathered from "OUTLAND", as well as other movies from about the same period in the actress's life. Finding those in which she had a similar hairstyle was a bit tricky, so some unrelated "heads" were accessed.

Send in the clones.

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good job Dave and TFS all of those pics with us Tim!
Looking forward for the next update.
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: MYSTERY WOMAN Reply with quote

In my ongoing search for better reference, I stumbled upon a commercial that the actress was in, roughly around the same time as the film. While the resolution is low, and so the image is soft (and cropping in on it only magnifies this), the angle and her expression is almost dead on –

The truth is out there, just gotta be persistent.

HAB1! - R13
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find...should be easier for her pic. No other pic of the boy?
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: MIA Reply with quote

Like the little girl (a young Rachael Rosen/Sara Rosen and her mom) pictured on the porch in BR, child actors sometimes don't do much more.

I did find a picture of the actor who played O'Niel's son, but at an older age. Apparently he did nothing else in film around that time, so I've found nothing further. Screen captures of him are all that seem available. -

R13
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After his performance in Outland I`m not surprised. That video call scene with Sean C is like fingernails down the black board to sit through. Rolling Eyes
Replicant 13
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: GIVE A KID A BREAK Reply with quote

To be fair, I wouldn't fault the actor (Barnes) in such a case. Too many unknowns about his involvement in the film.

Yes, it wasn't a stellar performance (no pun intended), but aside from being young, someone was responsible for casting him, and I might assume someone coached him and Hyams directed him.

According to IMDb (on which he has no photo), he is only known to have been in three productions: "Jack In The Box" (1979), "Outland"(1981) and a British soap "Acorn Antiques" (1987). There is very minimal information on these efforts as well and all three were filmed in England.
"Box" is not on Amazon, although there are two other later (horror) films of that name listed.

Looking further (on aveleyman.com) there are three other productions listed beginning in 1977. The last listed at the end of 2000 -

(L to R) 'Rise and Fall of Reginal Perrin', 'Outland', 'Casualty', 'Bad Girls'

Apparently he moved to British television in 1987 and may have gone to the stage as well, although I've found nothing to support that.

Conclusion: Little further photo reference available of him at roughly 14 years of age.

If anyone knows otherwise, please advise.

HAB1! - R13
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, its Mr Hyam`s responsibility at the end of the day.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...good detect. work Dave Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Non Blade Runner Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: