FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Functioning Voight-Kampff Machine
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LearnByMaking
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Functioning Voight-Kampff Machine Reply with quote

My objective is to build a functional Voight-Kampff machine. Currently, I'm working on developing the software, integration of sensors and the actual body of the machine.

I currently have this project entered in the Hackaday Sci-Fi Contest Hackaday Sci-Fi Contest (Project page ) and I plan to exhibit it at the Chicago 2017 Maker Faire

I have much of the mechanics (arm raise, extension, and rotation of the eye sensor) worked out using servos and micro-controllers.

My current design calls for using a Raspberry Pi as the central processor for the VK. The sensors that I'm currently working on integrating are:
* Metexis MLX90614 Non-contact Temperature sensor (for Blush response)
* Raspberry Pi NoIR Camera Board v2
- using software adapted from PyGaze to measure pupil dilation/constriction
*Separate handheld module for test subject containing:
-MAX30100 pulse ox sensor
-Galvanic Skin Response Sensor

I aim to have it all contained in the classic VK machine with read outs from the sensors going to the 3 separate monitors (and the 2 LED Bar Graphs).

Wish me luck! I'll definitely be looking for advice and direction as I progress.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will be epic... Good luck! Don't hesitate to ask questions Very Happy

Last edited by Buch on Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
marcuslaw
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best of luck! Looking forward to seeing it develop particularly integrating the different software and sensors!
Cydonia
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wanting a good Voight-Kampf for ages. l look forward to seeing your finished work and how you built it.

(And if you ever decide to produce them, please put me at the top of your list!)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome and good luck on a difficult project As one of the V.K. builder in here, I can tell you (and others also) that this is a much more complicated project than meets the eye.
Looking forward to your build!
LearnByMaking
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Arm Extension test Reply with quote

The first mechanical challenge that I've had is figuring out the mechanism use for extending the arm, I couldn't tell if a screw drive was being used or maybe a flexible metal rod spooled out (like in automatic radio antenna on cars). I think I finally solved it, after re-watching Leon's interview and it also answered the question I had of the purpose of the smaller rod (bent at 90 degrees) attached to the arm.
The smaller rod is attached to the belt of the pulley system and that drives the rod out.
The image I was trying to include displays way to big
I also uploaded a video of my proof of concept test at https://youtu.be/5WaR8gv0kBU
Thanks to everyone for your support and a special thank you to Joberg - I've taken an immense amount of inspiration from your amazing build.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Arm Extension test Reply with quote

LearnByMaking wrote:
The first mechanical challenge that I've had is figuring out the mechanism use for extending the arm, I couldn't tell if a screw drive was being used or maybe a flexible metal rod spooled out (like in automatic radio antenna on cars). I think I finally solved it, after re-watching Leon's interview and it also answered the question I had of the purpose of the smaller rod (bent at 90 degrees) attached to the arm.
The smaller rod is attached to the belt of the pulley system and that drives the rod out.
The image I was trying to include displays way to big
I also uploaded a video of my proof of concept test at https://youtu.be/5WaR8gv0kBU
Thanks to everyone for your support and a special thank you to Joberg - I've taken an immense amount of inspiration from your amazing build.

That is just brilliant.... brilliant.... this is an amazing start...

I've been working on displays and screen accurate graphics....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcSCNKPi0-Q
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the praises Tom Yes, you're right, that side rod made it possible (as you've discovered) to extend the arm. When I emailed Mike Fink, he mentioned that the travel of the arm was minimal:
One, the main rod (attached to the eye) is traveling under the main aluminum piece and stops at the rectangle box (that contains the motor for the driving pulley), that's why it was impossible to extend that rod, or to have it moving with a screw drive mechanism.
Two, the side rod (the one that you've shown on YouTube) is driven by the driving pulley, the other pulley is a dummy one.

The other motor (the one moving the eye) is in the piece attached to the main rod and placed in the middle of it and the eye.
Hope that helps
LearnByMaking
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, amazing job on the screens - the video feeds especially.
LearnByMaking
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joberg - yes that information is a great help, thanks for confirming what I suspected. I hope to have the lift, extend and rotation mechanisms done by the end of the week (they'll just be skeletal until I can build up the the rest of it).
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Tom, anytime I can help you with this prop I will or in PM also.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LearnByMaking wrote:
Butch, amazing job on the screens - the video feeds especially.

Thanks! Let me know if you need the video graphics... we can probably work something out then
kevdeo
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excited for this. Looks like the collaboration will make it even better.

youtube.com/user/kevdeovideo
instagram.com/kevdeo
Staar
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic project, I look forward to seeing how it all works out.

I think I made all the VK labels for one so if it helps, let me know and I'll see if I can dig out the vector files for you..

All the best

MARK

joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I know that Anders had bought the light bars (one on top of the big screen and one affixed to the front of the housing under the small screens).

I don't know the measurement of these bars, but are you gonna make them yourself, or buying them from the same vendor?

I'm asking, since these bars have already a set scale you're bound to scale the machine accordingly.

Customizing those bars could have the advantage for you to build the V.K. according to your own measurements.

I'm afraid that the real size is still somewhat of a mystery and will depend, also, on the size of available screens.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the light bars that Joberg mentioned, but as he also mentioned it will to a certain degree decide the size of the rest of the machine...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLADE-RUNNER-Voight-Kampff-VK-test-machine-LED-displays-/371845772281?hash=item5693bc33f9:m:mTeIPP5UttGUoxUZHPhX72g
LearnByMaking
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit that I never really thought to look on ebay for those parts. Never expected that anyone made them so I just thought I'd make them myself.
For the bar graph below the smaller screens I'm using:https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/lite-on-inc/LTA-1000HR/160-1066-ND/153273 . I have 3 of them on hand from a prior project and they seem to match the dimensions I'm using based on the white buttons being 1.5cm (and they look like the same ones from ebay that you linked to - unexpected coincidence Surprised ). Haven't yet seen a bar graph of 8 green, 4 red - LED's so hoping to make it from individual rectangular LED's or surface mount LED's using light pipes.
Screens do seem a big challenge - not finding quite the right sizes in LCD or TFT, just have to keep looking (would be great to find CRT's the right size).
Currently testing if the torque of the servo motors I have are strong enough to lift the arm.
LearnByMaking
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staar wrote:
Fantastic project, I look forward to seeing how it all works out.

I think I made all the VK labels for one so if it helps, let me know and I'll see if I can dig out the vector files for you..

All the best

MARK

Very Happy If you can find them it would be amazing.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That red bar seems alright Tom. As for the buttons (the 3 lit white ones at the right hand side of the big screen), the measurement seems o.k. too. (gotta check mine to make sure...I'm at work at the moment).

Screen are going to be a challenge to be sure, and as you know, they will dictate, once and for all, the whole machine look/measurement Wink

As for the arm, it shouldn't be a problem moving the rod/eye combo. The only movement the eye was incapable of doing was pivoting on its axle.

Let me explain: the eye is folded into the trench at the rear of the V.K. (if you look straight at the rear, the trench is on the right hand side).
The only travel that piece is capable of doing is the up/down motion...Michael Fink and the other prop makers working on that project were not able (time most likely) to make the eye pivot.

For that reason, the only movement you'll see in the movie is the up/down motion of the eye piece. Hope it helps.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There we go: measurement for the buttons: 17mm, eye piece (Remington electric grill) 22mm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: