FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
How to Machine a Steyr Reciver by racprops
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW that makes total sense...

And the gunsmith then went ahead and stripped the Bulldog to match.

Rich

ogrotesque1 wrote:
veektohr wrote:
Bending the bolt handle will definitely mess with the bluing. Here's a video of the process on a different style of rifle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4n5F03wUSs

It is simple, but again easy to mess up. If you're not hot enough you could end up cracking the handle and end up having to weld it back together and grind it back to shape.

OK, this is my theory behind why the screen used Steyr Receiver in the film is stripped. I read eltree's "Real Shooter" thread and he was saying how he and his machinist buddy went through 2 bits per receiver when they milled them. So, I was telling my gunsmith about how machining the receiver goes through bits and he informed me that "as long as the receiver won't need to fire again, if you heat it up first it makes the gun steel much more easier to machine than if you do not, but it will remove the bluing" That made me think that is what the gunsmith did to the original receiver and that's why the bluing is stripped. It could be a million other reasons, but that's just my theory.

racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $64,000 question (1 Million in today's prices...) is how hot do you need to soften them...

Rich
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
The $64,000 question (1 Million in today's prices...) is how hot do you need to soften them...

Rich

Well Rich, that is the question and a very good one at that! I will let you know the answer the next time I see him to ask. Maybe it's more an art rather than a science? I doubt any kiln would get anywhere near hot enough to really damage the structural integrity of a Steyr Receiver, but who knows?
CKovach

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no problem machining Steyr receivers to build my prototype firing blasters. The key is building a rock solid jig and making fine passes. To be honest, removing the barrel is more difficult than machining the receiver.
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CKovach wrote:
I had no problem machining Steyr receivers to build my prototype firing blasters. The key is building a rock solid jig and making fine passes. To be honest, removing the barrel is more difficult than machining the receiver.

Mr. Kovach, is the partially threaded end section of the hammer forged barrel that threads into the receiver machined and used for making the screen used Hero receiver’s front cap which the striker feeds through.........I’ve always wondered about this specific piece and it’s information!? Give us your wisdom Mr. Kovach!!
Thank you,
Damion
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: