FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
How I nearly owned a screen-used VK Machine

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdie
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: How I nearly owned a screen-used VK Machine Reply with quote

Since the movie has now been previewed....I thought I'd share this with you guys, having previously only chatted to Amish about it due to NDA

I was contacted early last year by a lady asking if they could hire my VK replica for a film project, but was unable to reveal more due to being under an NDA. I initially thought this was a time waster or scammer (happens a lot in this hobby), but to cut a long story short, she turned out to be emplyed on BR 2049 (then codenamed Triboro, for some reason...)

Apparently there is a scene in the movie where (presumably) Officer K goes to view (Deckard's?) past memory. This was to feature a Voight-Kamph machine on a table in the background. They basically didn't want to have to build one if they could hire one for less $.

A lot of tooing and froing and phone calls to Budapest ensued over the following months. I did some requested changes for them (basically removing the large eye graphic and other monitor screens) and Alcon shelled out for a nice hard case for the prop to be shipped to Budapest for two weeks shooting in August 2016.

With the shipping date approaching, and fees agreed, I began to get stonewalled by them. After a lot of procrastination, I was eventually informed that my contact had failed to run the prop by Alcon licencing folk. As a set decoration it apparently falls under some kind of industrial copyright rule, and they failed to get clearance. This supposedly went as far as Villeneuve, before attempts were made to clear it by Ridley, who was working on Alien Covenant in Australia.

Upshot - a few days before it was due to ship out, it all fell through. I was told that the scene was gonna be shot without an old style VK being seen. Will be interesting to see what ends up on screen.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad but...welcome to the wonderful world of movie-making, copyrights and whims of Directors and the likes Sad
It would've been great to see the old V.K. in the movie...but I know for a fact that Ridley has the old one (U.K. V.K. not the original L.A. V.K.) in his office in London.
Could've been easier to get that one for a one day shoot...weird Confused
Birdie
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite. Let's just say that I'm not entirely convinced that the reason I was given was entirely, ahem, accurate....
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is too bad, but still a cool story regardless.

Andy
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a great story. Congrats on your prop's new status.
retrogarde
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an amazing story! Frustrating no doubt, but at least it didn't get lost or damaged. How did they see your replica? Here or somewhere else?
Birdie
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the RPF, IIRC.

Having seen the movie, I'd love to see the original script. She told me the scene was set in the 'memory room', so I'm presuming she was referring to the scene where K is shown Rachel's VK test.

SInce the VK was supposed to be on a table in the background, did they plan to shoot new footage of Rachel speaking to Deckard? Interesting...
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that they opted for the audio of the first interview at Tyrell's .
Easier in the end. Wink Too bad they didn't use an old V.K. for that part.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: