FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Budget Franken-M2019 Blaster Build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Budget Franken-M2019 Blaster Build Reply with quote

I have yet to make a real "build" thread, and want to start before I get too far ahead.

I am pretty active on a local firearms forums, and knew that Charter Arms revolvers sold really cheap. The plan was find a broken one over a functioning one since I dont have any desire to build a live fire. I put up a WTB and waited.

I ended up finding a .38 bulldog, that had been turned in to police down in CA, and chopped up to de-commission it. The cut was right behind the trigger/hammer at the grip, and another at the top of the frame above the cylinder. I figured between the Steyr and huge grips those areas should be mostly covered and took the gamble, at a whopping $13 for the thing.

Here is what I received:

I welded up the top, removed the barrel, cut the shell ejector rod, and started planning the rear section.

I found a grip frame for $45 shipped, and was able to use that to line up where to weld for mounting points

I opted to just weld little wings om the the rear for the grip frame vs trying to replicate the clean lines of the stock setup. I used an angle grinder to cut and shape so I was having to go pretty caveman. I also cut and installed the front trigger in the middle of this.

Dont mind the bad paint on the wing, I started working again before it dried and it looks pretty bad, but I plan to worry about the final finish once everything is welded up:

I found some used Off-World grip parts for $20 shipped, and also bought a set of grips directly from Off-World for $25 shipped.

Once I got all the wings welded I didnt need the front pin hole from the grip frame anymore to line it all up, so I trimmed that. The OW outer grip frame needed a bit of dremel work to fit the real bulldog grip frame.

During all this I also got a large chunk of the Steyr parts from the classifieds here from Andy.

I got as much of them assembled as I can.

I bought a Weaver 29S off ebay, hoping for a un-cast knob, but ended up with one from the 30's with a smaller and slightly incorrect knob.

I also scored a field radio with the correct binding post, but do not currently have it in hand.

After much fitting, messing with hardware, and assembly, here is where I am currently at;

The only real update since these pics from a few days ago is that I got a better screw, that needed to be modified, and attached the trigger guard.

I bought some 3/4 aluminum stock that is currently with a family friend being turned into a mock barrel.

I still need a Coyle Steyr receiver for my bolt, as well as the lower magazine housing and magazine.

The biggest challenge will be the side cylinder covers. Ones for a standard .44 will be too large I think, and all the options I have found so far are too expensive to take the risk they wont fit, or be made to fit.

Unless I can find a cheap option I will try Off-World to see if that's a part that can be bought on its own, and if that fails I will have to attempt to 3d model something that can be printed, and then cast.

I am still trying to track down a sight rod that I can use to scale my covers around, but no luck so far.
shrap
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool project.

I am trying to find a proper bulldog of parts on my side. Not an easy task as it seems to be quite rare in Canada.

Also looking for a sight rod to mod my new Tome.

Will follow your progress with interest.
johnojodo
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! Was the small section of weld missed on purpose? I think it adds to the charm and would love to see it left there. Without trying or meaning to be disrespectful to your work (its better than what I have or could do)
Love it! hungry for more Very Happy
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnojodo wrote:
Love it! Was the small section of weld missed on purpose? I think it adds to the charm and would love to see it left there. Without trying or meaning to be disrespectful to your work (its better than what I have or could do)
Love it! hungry for more Very Happy

Haha no offense taken..but yeah im just bad at welding. I have done some semi clean welds on bigger projects if I know they are going to be seen, but most of the welds on this are getting ground as flat as possible and covered by the Steyr or the grips.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving the project already!!
Bwood
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. A very ambitious project. Best of luck to you. Cool
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stripped my receiver all the way down and am doing the final sanding, filling, and paint so the bulldog looks as good as it can!

I emailed Off-World about side covers...so fingers crossed they can sell them on their own, as fabricating them will be extremely hard for me to do right.

Id like to buy a SL magazine, but I cannot find a good source, or an idea of what they go for as they seem to range from $60-120. Anyone have any advice on that, or should I put out a WTB?
veektohr
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djblingbling1 wrote:
I stripped my receiver all the way down and am doing the final sanding, filling, and paint so the bulldog looks as good as it can!

I emailed Off-World about side covers...so fingers crossed they can sell them on their own, as fabricating them will be extremely hard for me to do right.

Id like to buy a SL magazine, but I cannot find a good source, or an idea of what they go for as they seem to range from $60-120. Anyone have any advice on that, or should I put out a WTB?

The mags are getting harder and harder to come by, and usually it's only the .223 rem ones that show up. Make sure it's the "rotary mag, trigger guard mag release" style. Usually about $70 new when you can find 'em. Good luck!
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few updates from the last few weeks!

At the moment the gun has no hammer...I am unsure if its worth the cost of adding one since it wont be seen....but because if it not being in there the transfer bar flopped around, so I removed it.

I also improved my mock bullets. I had .38 shells in the cylinder just to keep it full, but I added plastic plugs in place of the spent primers, this way it is easy to identify as a mock round.

Just today I got my barrel in the mail! I had a family friend make it to some specs I drew up. Finally its starting to resemble a blaster!

I have a slew of other parts coming in the next week or so...nothing major, just minor bits, real weaver knob, binding post, sight rod, and a cast magazine. Hopefully this means ill have more updates soon!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That barrel is looking good. Eager to see the next update!
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Friday I received my EE-8 field phone, and correct weaver knob. (I had bought a 29s scope with the incorrect smaller knobs)

Finally got a chance to pull the binding post from the phone, and snap a few reference photos before adding the parts to my build pile!

My EE-8 has seen better days, but the knob is in great shape, and that's all that matters!

Here it is all re-assembled out of the phone. For anyone who dosnt know, it is the smaller of the three, and the one on the far right in the above photos. There are two 1/4 nuts that need to be removed from the inside to remove it.

Here is my Weaver 29s with the proper knob.

And finally here is one last pic of the two "greeblies" ready for the build;

I have a few parts still yet to come in the mail, so stay tuned!
rickhoward
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff; new pieces and vintage ones! Almost like a future spouse: something blue, something old Wink
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I definitely love the look of a jumble of new and old parts, my goal is to keep the age on as many of the old parts as I can.

My biggest challenge at the moment is finding side covers. Since its a .38, im pretty sure standard ones will be 1/8-1/4 too tall. I think if I can find some in resin or aluminum I can make them work, but I dont want to spend a lot of money to find out they wont work.

I have contemplated 3D printing, and then filling them in with epoxy so they are super solid, but I feel like that would be a huge low point of the build.

Open to any advice for those that have gone custom for side covers, or any leads on were I could find some super reasonably priced. I emailed Off-World about them and never heard back, so im guessing they dont sell them on their own like the grips.
shrap
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Side covers Reply with quote

If you could get your hands on Tomenosuke side covers would could either use them directly on your gun or modify them with clay and use them to prepare some molds and cast metal ones.

You would need to find an artisan that is used to that kind of stuff. Could be pricey though.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djblingbling1 wrote:
Thanks guys! I definitely love the look of a jumble of new and old parts, my goal is to keep the age on as many of the old parts as I can.

My biggest challenge at the moment is finding side covers. Since its a .38, im pretty sure standard ones will be 1/8-1/4 too tall. I think if I can find some in resin or aluminum I can make them work, but I dont want to spend a lot of money to find out they wont work.

I have contemplated 3D printing, and then filling them in with epoxy so they are super solid, but I feel like that would be a huge low point of the build.

Open to any advice for those that have gone custom for side covers, or any leads on were I could find some super reasonably priced. I emailed Off-World about them and never heard back, so im guessing they dont sell them on their own like the grips.

Reach out to OFFWORLD Inc. on ebay and ask them about buying a set of side covers. Only those or the Hartford versions will properly fit the 38 on the left side. On the right side a metal Coyle or Sidkit cylinder cover will fit as it doesn't have to follow contour of the .38 Cylinder and you have wiggle room on fitting.
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
djblingbling1 wrote:

Reach out to OFFWORLD Inc. on ebay and ask them about buying a set of side covers. Only those or the Hartford versions will properly fit the 38 on the left side. On the right side a metal Coyle or Sidkit cylinder cover will fit as it doesn't have to follow contour of the .38 Cylinder and you have wiggle room on fitting.

Like I said, I messaged OW and never heard back, but maybe ill send another email in case mine got lost in the post Thanksgiving havoc.

That would really be the best and easiest solution to use theirs!
ocd
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an fyi in case you might be interested, I have a metal outer grip frame and but plate from OffWorld if your interested. The but plate has been de chromed for a closer match to the screen version.

I also MIGHT have (I don't remember were I put it) an old resin Sid kit that I don't think I will ever assemble, that has both parts your looking for it might fit, If I can find it I will test fit it on an OffWorld to see if it fits.
some of the resin Sid kits were from the smaller early Coyel versions Sid used to recast from is my understanding(?)

Pm me if your interested.

Best regards

"Questions?,..."
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent OCD!
ocd
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that has always bothered me with OffWorlds. The grips are too orange color tint for my taste.

So to that end here is how i corrected it. real cheap easy fix.
What you need. One small bottle of testers CLEAR red acrylic paint

One NEW 1/4 inch wide brush.

Remove both grips, paint ONE coat of testers CLEAR red acrylic paint on the inside of each grip, let it dry, then spray 2-3 coats of Testers Gloss-coat on the inside of each grip, let it dry and reassemble the grips.

Presto - chango, Slightly redder grips.

simple solution.

"Questions?,..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: