FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Sidkit construction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jawz68

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Sidkit construction Reply with quote

Hello, is the sidkit made of a stury metal? Or is it made of White metal? And does it hold up well or warp and ding easily? Thanks, Jeff
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: sturdy... Reply with quote

well I dont know that much admitidly about metal, but my sidkit seems okay to me...i wouldn't slap it outta my hand unto the concrete,but then I wouldn't do that to an actual pistol either...
anybody else ?.....
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pewter. It is pretty soft but not as soft as pewter with high lead content. Because it is in the ECU, lead is illegal to use. So it is probably bismith with the copper and tin instead.
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having now owned both the SidKit and the Coyle metal versions, I can say that the SidKit is a much softer metal....
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it very easy to work with, not to mention forgiving.
I keep wondering when Siderio is going to anounce his new release...
Anson James
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It feels solid enough to me.
Doesn't Mr Coyle use the same metal as Sid?
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think he does but I'm certain he'll jump in here soon enough and tell you all about how his metal blaster is better than Sid-Kit's...and much more expensive so, it's gotta be better, right?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They both use pewter, but pewter can have different combinations of alloys. Rich's metal does seem harder.
Anson James
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softer metal or not you can't argue with Sid's pricing.

I paid €170 including post for my kit and it's a beaut - they're a fabulous set of casts.
Sure there's a few things that annoy about it like the Phillips head screws but what the hell.

I'd get a Coyle if I could afford it.

I wish Coyle sold kits as I vary rarely buy finished items - if I bought a Coyle blaster I'd probably end up stripping the paint and I'd do some clean up too.

For some reason the mag section doesn't seem to sit correctly in a lot of the Coyle copies I've seen.

Anson
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving my money for a Coyle.
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldzey wrote:
Saving my money for a Coyle.

Thoroughly recommended.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I can't get behind that sentiment.
I wish I could send you all my C, S, & T to hold before you buy from Coyle.
Granted, mine is NOT his all metal version but I've heard things about that one as well...

I bought the C,S&T because I kept hearing how great Coyle blaster's are, I had the money and I figured I'd go with the best. I also never went looking for anything "negative" about his work but simply bought his line about "never having any complaints"...boy was I mistaken.
I also believed the saying "You get what you pay for" but in this instance what I had apparently purchased was a lot of hype.

Who knows? Maybe since he's decided not to do plastic anymore his all-metal blaster will be a cut above...for the asking price it SHOULD be.

I don't want to rehash anything more concerning that transaction but I will say this:
Be certain it's what you want before you purchase it because there is another LESSER known thing about Rich...he RARELY refunds money.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Another satisfied customer...? Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blade-Runner-C-S-Blaster-Metal-Model-by-Richard-Coyle_W0QQitemZ230184093943QQihZ013QQcategoryZ60361QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The seller say's it's been in the box and never displayed since he purchased it...I wonder why?
I recall that very same feeling after purchasing my C,S&T...extremely embarassed at spending so much money on such an obvious hunk of junk.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill with the attacks on Rich please. You are still new to this aspect of the hobby and don't know all of what Rich has done. Sacred cow or otherwise, he is still the most copied maker of these guns ever. Check out RACprops.com and read his over 10 year old research please. Chances are you might be buying a Marco gun if not for him and Rick Ross. For sure most likely it would be a static prop, at least compared to what we have now. You owe him your sliding bolt, and cylinder. I pick on Rich too, but mostly in person. I am not saying worship at his feet, but give him at least the repect he deserves, which is more than you are giving him.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed the sidkit metal does leave slight marks on your fingers (like reading a newspaper) I hope it doesn't contain lead!

I've not started working on it yet, but the metal appears to be soft-ish but tough at the same time, which makes it ideal for handling as a kit.

My only disapointment with sidkit is some of the finishings (the filing and hole drilling) seem to be a bit rough and will require fixing.

When I start working on it I will try to post my progress to give people a clearer idea of the kit.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always GIVE my respect Andy...my disrespect is EARNED...and Rich has certainly earned it.
As far as disrespect goes though, I don't think I'm being that harsh by suggesting caution by pointing out what is certainly very obvious but maybe not so much to the guy's that are just excited about owning a Blaster and have heard "Rich is the best."
I have been to his web-site which is part of what led me to purchase his blaster...I actually felt sorry for the guy. That sympathy was never returned to me when I asked for my money back.
You have assembled and held the C,S&T and know EXACTLEY what I'm talking about...though I understand your need to be politic.
Feel free to move or delete my posts as you see fit.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definate rrrrespect to mr coyle

But the problem is that he has to batch assemble alot of these blasters which I believe can compromise the quality.

He expresses how upset he is over the apparent re-casting of the sidkit, yet he doesn't offer a kit himself.
There's a gap in that market which he isn't filling and it's a shame because I would have prefered to buy a kit off Rich and support all his hard work that went into the research.

The only reason I prefere kits is because I owned one of the coyle plastic guns and the build quality just wasn't up to my standards for what I paid.

Anyway, back to jawz68's topic Wink
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with being critical of his work, that is always okay here, as long as it doesn't seem like bashing. A lot of negative things can be said about the Sidkit as well as other guns, but I don't see that happening.

The Sid metal uses pewter, and the tin in pewter itself oxidizes a whitish powder. It can be controled by adding bismuth or other metals in the mix.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the sidkit metal oxidize? If so how does the paint hold up to this?

I'd be curiouse to know what kind of metal alloy Rich uses for his castings if it is harder.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they both use different mixes of pewter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: