FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Where/When did you first see Blade Runner?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Where/When did you first see Blade Runner? Reply with quote

This weekend I had the fun of watching BR with my son; he had never seen it before and wanted to know about the costume inhabiting the sewing corner. It got me thinking about how jealous I was of him, seeing it all brand-new. (btw, he did get it so I don't have to disown him)

So I thought it would be fun to throw this out there; of course it's near and dear to all of us or we wouldn't be here, right? So tell us about your first time...
Kgaijin
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 11, my brother was 13 and my dad took us to see it (as he had for Star Wars and Alien in the preceding years). What a great dad.

Being 11 at the time, I couldn't fully comprehend the film. It was info/visual overload but it left me with a craving for more. Blade Runner was like a blipvert nestled securely in my hindbrain for all these years and there it still sits, peeking in at the corners of my peripheral vision.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 17 years old. I went to see it with my best friend also named John. I remember the chilly theatre (one of the best things about the summers in Phoenix, Arizona) and the large screen it played on.

I also remember (brace yourselves) not really liking it as much as I was hoping I would. Being a teen and used to effects driven car chase movies, Blade Runner seemed at the time for me to be a snore fest.

It wasn't until later on in life that I truly appreciated the deeper meanings and what went into making the film. After working in production I finally saw the detail and care Ridley took with the multitude of details nested in this work of art.

And now, 25 years later it has become my all time favorite film. I can't stop obsessing even over the production design as well as the mundane obscurities. I LOVE this film.

-
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a drive in. It was a double feature and I slept through the first movie.
Blade-Runner came on and I woke up.

Last edited by Once-bitten on Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A former friend of mine (he was a friend at this point) was obsessed with the movie, and had acquired a bootleg VHS tape. It was a poorly tele-cined version that looked like hell and the print which was tele-cined must have been battered all to hell, but I could still see it was magic.

When the actual official VHS version came out, I actually bought it. At rental-intended prices. This was before the explosion of sell-through video thanks to Disney...I actually think Disney wasn't releasing many movies on tape. It was an Embassy pan-and-scan. I don't know wtf happened to it, but it had been played a lot, so it probably was in crappy shape when it was lost.

Another friend got the Criterion Collection letterboxed laserdisc of the Euro version and made me a surreptitious copy. Oddly enough that tape is still fine, and I have been using it and a tape of the Director's Cut (my briefcase will be my first DVD copy) to write my paper for Film Noir class this semester. The paper is due this weekend electronically...hopefully the copy of Retrofitting Blade Runner I ordered last weekend will beat the due date of the paper so I can read it quickly and determine whether there is anything helpful in there. Oh yes, I will put the paper up for reading (but not plagiarizing, dammit!) when it's done.

So yeah, seeing BR:FC two weeks ago was the first time in theatres for me. As I have mentioned on many occasions.
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prepare to be annoyed.

From what I can gather, all of you guys (or most of you) are well-off adults who saw the movie as a teenager (or younger) and currently have all sorts of nostalgia about it.

Time to get pissed off! Why? Well I'm currently 17. I first saw it when I was 14. Ready to kill me yet? But don't worry - I'm not like that large percentile of my peers with an IQ of 70 and a respect only for big-budget Hollywood summer movies for dullards. Actually, my favourite films are from before I was born. At least I respect the fact that Blade Runner is a phenomenal film, films made back then are a LOT better than the shit churned out these days, and that I have absolutely NO right to act as though I'm a big fan of the film here when I saw the film around 22 years after it was made. Oh, and the fact that I'm surrounded by people no doubt more mature and successful than I am. Wink

Oh well. You all have amazing stories of seeing it on the big screen. No such luck for me after all these years. My father picked up the Director's Cut DVD from some retail bin in early 2004. I actually watched it once and vaguely remember disliking it because I found it to be both figuratively and literally DARK, and the end was depressing. Well since then I've done my research and found the normal cut has a VO which probably makes it seem less quiet at some parts, and the ending is far less depressing. And that's why since I found this, I've put off watching the theatrical cut JUST so I could savor what I had. Well needless to say, come the Ultimate Collectors's Edition (Dec. 18th!) I'll finally watch the theatrical cut. Well, after watching all of the special features of course.
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been able to see it in a theatre--I was 13 when it came out, and I don't recall if it ever made it to Podunk, Kansas.

I first watched it on HBO at my aunt's house and fell alseep not even halfway into it.... Laughing

Since then I've lost track of how many times I've watched it, and it's one of those movies I'd love to see on the big screen at least once. Hopefully the Final Cut will do well enough that it will see a broad release.....
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I first saw it in the winter of 1985. I was a sophomore in college, and a local theater had a midnite showing. Can't remember if it was just one night or what, or even why they were running it.
Me and a couple of good friends went to check it out, and we were all just blown away. It's been imprinted on my brain ever since. The dark, gritty view of the not-too-distant future, the AMAZING hardware like the blasters and Voight-Kampf machine, the Spinners (!!!) and that unbelievable soundtrack by Vangelis. . . I don't think there's been another soundtrack that fits a film so perfectly.
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToothTech wrote:
I've never been able to see it in a theatre--I was 13 when it came out, and I don't recall if it ever made it to Podunk, Kansas.

I first watched it on HBO at my aunt's house and fell alseep not even halfway into it.... Laughing

Since then I've lost track of how many times I've watched it, and it's one of those movies I'd love to see on the big screen at least once. Hopefully the Final Cut will do well enough that it will see a broad release.....

I was 13 as well. Living in FL. I first saw it on a VHS rental at my aunt's house, only I was mesmerized from start to finish. I would ramble far too long about the things that make this movie the masterpiece that it is. I'm positive that this film helped to shape me into the person I am today. I don't know how many hundred times I've seen it, & it never gets old. If I see that it's on TV, I MUST watch it. I know every inconsistency, every mistake, every error in storyline & editing, & it simply. Doesn't. Matter. It truly is greater than the sum of its parts. The musical score is mesmerizing, & even with today’s advancements in SFX, its style has yet to be matched. Rutger Hauer's finest hour.

I think I'm getting a little misty... Wink
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must've been around 1983 or so, I was 12 years old. My folks had just gotten cable and it was on what passed for Pay Per View at the time. Back then the signals used to warp the picture, but every now and then it would come in clear for about 2 mins at a time. That was probably my first experience with Blade Runner. In essence I heard it more than saw it, and ironically with the cable scrambled the narration really carried it.

Later I saw it on VHS, a bad pan and scan copy. While I really dug the visuals and the atmosphere, I remember thinking it moved really slowly and seemed to drag alot.

Then, years later when the Director's Cut hit town, I really hadn't planned on seeing it again, but a friend of mine suggested that I check it out, if only to see it on the big screen. I'd heard nothing about the changes that Ridley Scott had made in the DC, so I went in expecting the original theatrical release.

By the time the credits rolled, I was totally blown away. It literally was like the first time I'd ever seen the film.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I origionally saw it on cable too (82-83) at 15-16yo. My first response was almost identical to spinner44. It soon became my favorite movie and has only grown on me even more since.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As well, I saw it on cable in the early 80's. Unfortuantely, I cannot remember the year. At that time, I was probably around 8 - 10 years of age. I was not impacted it by it like I am now, but always thought is was a fun and cool movie to watch.

I rank it with Dune and Krull as one of the movies that I would just always catch on TV whenever it was on.
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said Krull! I thought I was the only one who remembered that movie. Named one my kids after it.
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You named one of your kids Krull? Otherwise, it is one of my favorite movies.
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No; but now that you mention it, I guess I coulda. Named my son Corwyn. Which I know isn't technically from Krull, but I thought Corey was a kinder nickname than Colley. woof.
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weekend is almost here, and that means I'll be watching BR in a theatre for the first time! It's going to be a great night; I'm sending someone to get tickets early because there aren't presales available. There is a great bar across the street called The Gypsy, which has a light side (pastels, bright happy people) and a dark side (red velvet, dark nooks with candles) where we are going to have dinner before the show. Guess what side we'll be on.

But I thought it was time that I answered my own question. The first time I ever heard of Blade Runner was way back when I was a sweet impressionable girl of 16. There was a dashing older man who would often regale me with stories of books and theatre which I should experience. Yes, I ate it up. So he tells me all about the book DADoES (which I immediately read) and this dark mysterious movie with Harrison Ford. It's amazing, he says. You must see it. I was intrigued. And I could come by anytime, he says, and watch it with him. In his parents' hot tub. I was tempted, but my better judgement won out and I never showed. Ended up watching it on VHS with some really boring people.

My judgement has improved over time. And tomorrow night I'll finally take him up on the offer to watch Blade Runner with him. But no hot tub. 'Cause my makeup would melt.
Planta
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachael wrote:
And I could come by anytime, he says, and watch it with him. In his parents' hot tub...

Shocked

Rachael wrote:
...But no hot tub. 'Cause my makeup would melt.

Laughing

anyway, my first time, i think it was about 1995-96, i was 22-23 and one day my big bro came in with this BR VHS: "dude, take a look at this movie, you'll like it", "ok, i will"... but i was very, very skeptical and didn't really want to watch it. then, after some weeks i gave BR a go and... bam! totally hooked on it forever! i was totally mesmerized by it. as the movie ended, i rewinded and viewed it back again. then i viewed it the next day, and the next day and the next day again, and so on for months. since that moment my life's changed, i think to BR any given day at any moment, and since then i look everything in a kind of BR point of view. i'll never stop thanking Ridley.
Eagle
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it in 82-83 on first release. 12 years old and didn't really understand it all. I knew Rachael was a 'looker' though. I'm still shallow all these years later! Wink

It was the best version - the theatrical release with voice-over.

oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came out on HBO in '83 I think. God Bless my folks - they had this VHS player that weighed about 50 pounds and therefore I was the first one in my group of friends who recorded it.

I've been on the wagon for about 11 years now but let's just say that back in those days, we were "enhanced" quite often (and always whenever we sat down to watch BR).

Quite an experience to watch on blotter...
jessejericho
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was 14 years old in '94, and was a budding film fanatic, with Kubrick being my fav. Dad asked if I had seen Blade Runner yet, and we went and rented the DC on VHS right after I told him I hadn't. Since that day, it has been my favourite film of all time, and I've seen it at least two dozen times.

Tonight's viewing of the Final Cut on the big screen was an epic moment Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: