FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Genuine Vintage Safariland Conversions

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Genuine Vintage Safariland Conversions Reply with quote

Anybody know of any talented individuals that still do the holster conversions? I just found an accurate 1001 for a 6 1/2” revolver that I’d like to have converted. I’d be willing to drop some good coin, but if it’s gonna cost more than one of Phil S./Skin Job’s lovely Holsters to have done, I may as well just buy one of theirs. Any advice?
Damion
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who just converted one of the longer holsters like yours, id say no one in their right mind would charge less than a skinjob holster for the labor involved.

Ive had a lot of requests to do them after I posted mine up, but I cant justify it as I couldn't charge less than $100 considering the amount of time to actually do it right.

The 5 1/2" is MUCH easier obviously because the top requires less work to convert, but shaping it is also much harder, so still a ton of labor.
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thanks for the reply!
That is a great price to charge for all of the labor that’s involved, totally understandable.
My Safariland Holster is a Lefty version (which I happen to be) but, the sad thing is that it’s gotta be the longest model they made at that time. It has 1001 LGE. REV. printed on it and is literally 11 1/2” long from the snap down.
My question has to do with support. Will a blaster fit securely with that plastic rail that runs down the inside of the holster? Phil S. holsters obviously do not have that rail which really adds a tiny bit more room for a better fit. Do you leave that in or is it possible to remove without compensating the holster all together?
Thank you,
Damion
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left it in.

If you can post a photo of your holster.

Its actually chap to DIY, just labor. I can walk you through it if your up for it.

Are you in the FB group? Easier to show photos than having to host here.
ogrotesque1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.....
You know, come to think of it, it has never even crossed my mind to join the FB group. I rarely sign in to FB to begin with. Mainly because I can’t stand a lot of the opinionative ridiculousness that sadly infests it. So, I tend to stay far away from FB as much as possible.
If you don’t mind emailing me directly for the photos, my address is:
ogrotesque1@yahoo
If not, understood.
Thanks,
Damion
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a decent cobbler (shoe repair) nearby, they have the tools to work with the thick leather of the holster. if you give them the specs and conditions required to mount the holster to a belt, they can be very helpful at a pretty reasonable price.
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't know why there's such a fascination with converting vintage Safarilands.
The movie holster, though made in the factory and on the line, using the same machines, wasn't a conversion of any existing holster.
It was a custom design by Safariland, from scratch.

Karl
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin-Job wrote:
I really don't know why there's such a fascination with converting vintage Safarilands.
The movie holster, though made in the factory and on the line, using the same machines, wasn't a conversion of any existing holster.
It was a custom design by Safariland, from scratch.

Karl

For me, because its a way to get a really close holster for cheap, and convert with minimal leather working skills. Im getting close to comfortable now id take a crack at making on from scratch, but when I did mine I did it with very little skill, and learned a lot. That and you can pick them up on ebay for around 40-60$ if you wait.
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take your point.
And if you can do the work yourself, then I can see it being a cost effective solution.
For those not adept at leatherwork (and this isn't basic leatherwork) I think buying a good quality replica wouldn't cost that much more than a $60 holster and $100 worth of leatherwork on it.

K
djblingbling1
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin-Job wrote:
I take your point.
And if you can do the work yourself, then I can see it being a cost effective solution.
For those not adept at leatherwork (and this isn't basic leatherwork) I think buying a good quality replica wouldn't cost that much more than a $60 holster and $100 worth of leatherwork on it.

K

Yeah, ive had a number of people ask me what I would charge for labor to convert after I posted mine up on Facebook. I told them it would be cheaper to buy one from you. Very Happy
stussy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you still make them skin job?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: