FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Improving tomenosuke cylinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helix
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:24 am    Post subject: Improving tomenosuke cylinder Reply with quote

Hi !

I wonder if someone tried to improve a plastic tomenosuke cylinder by driling the washer ?

I've seen a french guy cutting the upper part and removing the washer but this operation need a bit of putty and so the cylinder can't be polished and blued anymore.

It would be simpler to buy a steel cylinder but alas I'm in Canada and it will never cross the border.

Thanks
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,
It would be a very difficult operation to accurately drill the hard steel washer without damaging the relatively soft plastic around it.

Not impossible, but difficult.

I think it's better to slice off the end of the cylinder, remove the washer and replace the end section, adding the thickness of the washer in auto body filler.
I understand about the body filler not being the same material, so polishing up is impossible. No easy answer...

Have you considered having a cylinder machined locally? no import hassles...
Helix
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin-Job wrote:
Hi there,

Have you considered having a cylinder machined locally? no import hassles...

It would be considered as a functionnal gun part, I don't want to break the law.

I will look into buying a second plastic cylinder and see if I can drill mine, this way I will have a back up in the worst case scenario.
Robotprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a machine shop make one out of stainless steel it's not really a gun part. If you explain it's a prop and show them what you're doing, it shouldn't be a problem.
Check out the parts section on Canadiangunnutz.com you might get lucky.

I've found parts at local gun shows too.
Helix
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robotprops wrote:
If you had a machine shop make one out of stainless steel it's not really a gun part. If you explain it's a prop and show them what you're doing, it shouldn't be a problem.

Already did it with two machine shop, whith the plastic parts on hands, booklet of pics and so on. The two owners don't want to made it, I even asked if they could do it from aluminium or a really soft ferrous metal not steel and the answer was still no.

I was surprised that the barrel was not an issue.

I searched a deactivated bulldog with no luck, but I imagine that the chamber on the cylinder would probably be drilled to made it unusable or welded to is axle.
David3
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Helix,
not having a Tomenosuke (yet) I haven't attempted to try this myself but I suspect the disc is hardened steel that may resist being drilled easily by your average drill bit.
Just as an experiment you could try drilling the disc in the center of the part that protrudes into the cylinder holes with a small drill bit first (make sure its new with clean sharp cutting edges) then if successful a larger one till you have as big a hole in the disc as you can without touching the cylinder's sides.
Then (or alternatively if the disc is too difficult to drill) if you have a dremel use a grinding attachment to cut or sand the rest of the material away.
It'll be time consuming but the only way really to achieve this and avoid damage to the rest of the cylinder.
Hope it works. Good luck.
Helix
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Dxistenz who sold me is spare cylinder, I took my courage and did some surgery on my own cylinder.

I tried to put some grinded metal in the epoxy hoping that I can buff it, but it was a failure.

assembled with metal parts blued.
Unfortunatly the cylinder latch (part #21) was missing in my kit, so I'm stuck where I am in the build process hoping that Mune San can send me a replacement part or that I can at least buy the missing part directly from him.
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahah, I'm that French guy who did that first!
Nice that you did it and managed to clean it afterwards. i don't think drilling the washer would be posible.
cheers
David3
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Helix.
Helix
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eethan wrote:
ahah, I'm that French guy who did that first!
cheers

En fait c'était Manchu sur cyber-macha dont je parlais Razz .
Never saw your build log, if you have a link I would happily give it a look Very Happy .

David3 wrote:
Well done, Helix.

Thank you sir !

Mune san sent me a replacement part for my missing part, it's in the mail.
And I should have the steel barrels on hand before the end of february.
eethan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, that's double funny and a bit shameful for me!
it wasn't me then, and second, apparently I never posted that trick to remove the washer apparently!
I created a thread on the RPF to post tips and tricks to assemble, improve and modify the blaster and posted quite a few tutorials on a few parts of the build, but apparently I never posted that part on what I did with the cilinder washer!
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/tomenosuke-blaster-assembly-kit-tips-and-tricks-help-the-new-builders.279095/

sorry!
Helix
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eethan wrote:
ok, that's double funny and a bit shameful for me!

I created a thread on the RPF to post tips and tricks to assemble, improve and modify the blaster and posted quite a few tutorials on a few parts of the build, but apparently I never posted that part on what I did with the cilinder washer!
https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/tomenosuke-blaster-assembly-kit-tips-and-tricks-help-the-new-builders.279095/

sorry!

Yes it's in my bookmarks, I used it for the bluing methodology ! And no you don't show this trick in it, in fact I never saw it explained on the web, except on cyber mecha, and I've read almost every tomenosuke log I can found on the internet (with pics, unfortunatly a lot of them don't have pics anymore).

Tu n'as pas à être désolé, c'est juste comique comme situation .
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: