FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Deckard Wallet Discussion (New Discoveries Inside from DVD)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be really interesting if a crew member like Tom Southwell could verify any of the contents, particularly the money and credit card (items that are not seen in the movie).
I've always wondered if spinner44 (having owned the wallet set) ever relayed any of the contents with Tom, especially the back of the vidphon card which Southwell definately designed himself.
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
I think it would be really interesting if a crew member like Tom Southwell could verify any of the contents, particularly the money and credit card (items that are not seen in the movie).
I've always wondered if spinner44 (having owned the wallet set) ever relayed any of the contents with Tom, especially the back of the vidphon card which Southwell definately designed himself.

Yes and I posted it on the RPF and very few cared. I think it may be posted somewhere on this site too.

To be clear, I only owned Phil's ID and not the entire set including the wallet. I wasn't really happy with ID and I sent it back. I never purchased or received anything else from him. A photo of the supposed actual wallet was posted by someone else and I recognized the badge as a common blank offered by most badge companies with a photo disc added in the center. This is how I based my wallet set. There are other details, but alas this is merely a fantasy wallet as far as I am concerned. I'm not looking to grill Phil over this any longer. We all become nothing more than broken records.

When I asked Tom Southwell about there being a badge in the wallet he said that when it left his department no badge was spoken of. He also stated, "I'm not sure if the wallet and badge are the real deal. (referring to a picture I sent to him of the Phil wallet) I can't be the final authority on this as Ridey Scott would change everything as late as deep post production." On the phone he leaned toward there more likely not being a badge. I received similar "no badge" info from Charlie deLauzirika.

I do however have a question that I am waiting for an answer back on from another crew member.

-

Last edited by spinner44.com on Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
jhyphen
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very briefly, I posted a picture of one of the wallet sets on my website, because as I said, the NDA I drafted was bogus and unenforceable.

Phil, however, used a different tack to get the image removed. He filed a complaint with my webmaster under the Digital Millenium Copyright Act on the basis that he owned the copyright in the photograph.

I removed the picture voluntarily rather than drag my webmaster into a controversy.

Sorry, but the irony of a bootlegger using copyright law to make it harder to verify the bona fides of his illegal replica--the provenance of which is seriously in doubt--is almost too much to process.

Phil himself once shared with me a bromide that I think is spot-on:

"Good accounting makes good friends."

How true. But here's a better one:

"Accountability reveals character."

I don't have any intention of grilling anyone myself. I'm simply sharing what I know and what I believe, because even though it's never seemed to help my cause, I just can't abide staying silent in the face of shenanigans.

One of these days maybe I won't fall prey to the principle that no good deed goes unpunished. But my hopes are not that high.

For what little it's worth....
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to do this but...

I just received my answer from Art Shippee on the wallet pictured below.

My email to Art Shippee:

Art,

I have one more question for you if it's OK?

Attached a picture of a purported real Blade Runner wallet set with badge. Other production people I spoke with like Tom Southwell said they didn't think there was an actual badge in the wallet on ID and various other cards. Could help me out with an idea of what you remember?

Thank you again,
John Domrzalski

Art's Reply:

"None of it ring a bell even the money look wrong the money was made by using a tissue type wrapper off of a cookie

Sent from my I- phone"

So there you have it.

NOTE: If the photo above needs to be pulled down for some reason. Let me know and not my server company. I will pull it down myself.
-
SSB
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow – a cookie wrapper! Weird...

Wait – did I miss something about the real back of the VidPhon card?

... and are we all gonna start hunting down 25 year old asian cookies?

-Mike
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow! now thats what I call an exclusive bit of info Very Happy Nice one spinner.

This makes alot of sense if the props department was under preasure with prioritised jobs and huge workloads. maybe the money was on the "find unique items" list along with the JW bottle.

time to start looking for interesting cookie wrappers
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!! Major information broken in this thread... seriously, I am really impressed. Although a cookie wrapper does not sound too impressive, it would be consistent with a lot of the information we have heard about the production.

Beastmaster, if you search through some threads over at the RPF, Spinner has posted a lot of really great Southwell information for a while.

One of the things I find so fascinating and insightful is that most of these pieces were clipped out of magazines and design paperbacks... it really gives you a window into an environment that is required to be media/content rich and the restrictive deadlines of a production. Most of this stuff had to be off of the shelf because there was little time or money for everything to be made custom. The brilliance of those on the production is how convincing they made the environment while literally throwing these pieces together. True artistry... the art of illusion.

-Bryan
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe someone over on the island can tell us more. IIRC, the Japanese do have that sense of style that flows into their marketing and perhaps packaging. I notice that many Japanese products have fine paper and graphics, so it wouldn't surprise me if the production crew found a quality wrapper with some cool looking graphics and Asian text to use as wallet filler.

I guess if the cookies are identified, they could be labled as production used or production consumed. Confused

Nice bit of detective work, John!

Last edited by eltee on Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eltee wrote:
Nice bit of detective work, John!

Thanks Gary! I just got off my lazy ass and made a few calls and emails. Smile

-
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!! That is awesome information. I do not have more time to post, but I am thrilled at all the great stuff you have been uncovering!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is one of the more interesting threads I've read.....

Edit: I'm sorry, I just removed one of my comments - after re-reading some stuff I may have missed, I just discovered something I did miss: Phil making no personal profit on his wallet project. I cannot believe I missed that part. (I apologize if somebody read that earlier comment of mine - it was immature) And while I don't think I (nor anyone else) can side with Phil on this one - you have to admire his passion over the "product" (ha-ha, speaking in Phil's terms, right John? Jhyphen that is Razz). If he's in the hole the amount he said he was over the product, I don't think any of the comments here implying a greed on his part (Like Noeland, I guess) can be justified. However, on the gun matter I cannot comment - I do not visit RPF and therefore have probably missed a whole lot there.

Regardless of any wrongdoings on his part, either his or his source's, he has good intentions, and so I still admire him.

Oh well, thank you guys, at least, for the interesting read- this is one of the more intense discussions I've seen here and by far the lengthiest.
jhyphen
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help me understand.... A guy runs a major project to sell replicas for over a $1,000 a pop and doesn't get something out of it?

A profit? Commissions? Barter goods? Access to information and contacts? The prospect of future business (i.e., a loss leader)?

Was it a charitable effort, motivated by noblesse oblige to selflessly help fellow collectors? I guess it could be. Anything is possible, after all.

But I find it hard to swallow that a guy who portrays himself as such a well-connected and savvy broker of high-end memorabilia--who lectures us endlessly and authoritatively on economic and social theory--would take a bath on such a major endeavor.

Help me understand...please....
morganthirteen
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the few people who were refunded were individuals who'd only purchased a few components or purchased the whole set and decided they couldn't spend the money for one reason or another very soon after the buy.

I have only recently discoved this thread and have read it with more than a casual interest as I happened to be one of the first people to sign up for Phil's Wallet Project back in the day.

After reading the above quote I felt compelled to post in order to clarify something.

It is true that at the time all of this World Con stuff transpired I had only purchased two of the components, the ID and the Credit Card. It was strictly a financial matter of having to spend it on more important things, though I had every intention of completing the set. It was only after seeing some of the enlarged screen caps from the film that I came to the conclusion that what Phil had produced did not match what was seen on screen.

It was for that reason that I contacted Phil and told him that I felt the description he used for the set was not accurate. I did not ask for a refund but he quickly offered one so I accepted.

It would be fair to say that I was in fact more or less 'delinquent' in coming up with the balance of payment (though Phil never made an issue out of it), but in the end the reason I decided I "couldn't spend the money for one reason or another" was in fact that the item for sale was simply not the item offered.

Phil did make things right, but I wanted to set the record straight because the above comment from him does not (IMO) accurately reflect my personal experience with the BR Wallet Set.

Shawn
Anson James
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple of interviews with Tom Southwell in the Final cut dvd's.

Some may consider this info as a SPOILER - be warned.

Here are screenshots showing a rough draft Deckard I.D. plus another showing something which is further down the line.
Also a rough draft of the apartment key and Vid phone card.

I always thought it a little 'coincidental' that a blurred shot of the worldcon I.D. happened to look a lot like the wallet set version.
Almost like someone gathered their info from a blurry screencap.

Odd isn't it?

The non-disclosure agreement may be considered by some as a way of preventing anyone 'in the know' from seeing it.

I be a tad pissed if I paid $1000 for something that ended up being pretty bogus.
I almost went for it too - bloody glad I didn't in the end.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent!! thanks for posting these Anson! Very Happy

I guess this wraps up the mystery of what the back of the vidphon card looks like as well as the front graphics of the keycard.

Are there anymore pictures like these?
Anson James
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back of the Viphone card...

amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm....... WOW

Thank you for sharing these!

Tom
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*CASE CLOSED!!*

Fantastic! Indeed, thanks for sharing this Anson Smile We've been debating the back-side of the card for a long time.

It's hard to believe the documentary would cover stuff like this. It's a BR prop fans wet dream! Razz

Was there any more coverage on the appartment keycardcard by any chance?

can't wait to get my hands on this set
spinner44.com
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I spoke with Tom Southwell, he mentioned that he had put the Mountain Bell logo on the card, but Ridley had him remove it. Personally, I like it with the logo. I assume this went for the back as well.

God I can't wait to see the DVD set. Apparently there was to be more photos so Charlie told me, but Warner decided to cut them out. Too bad. They may however show up later on the web.

-
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, this is just too cool!!

I can't wait to get this set too. Prety sure Santa will be bringing it to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: