FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
BR Whiskey Bottle Project...BOTTLE DIMENSIONS AND DETAILS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think the whole big/small bottle idea sounds a bit ludicrus considering the minor size differences.

I think it comes down to purely an optical illusion and that these bottles, like Art Shippee says were A found item, meaning they purchased a few of these plastic (there is no indication of the bottles being glass) bottles of something as well as a few johnnie walker whiskeys for the labels.

Why would they go to the trouble to make a very slightly smaller bottle and how do they smoothely stick together and seal the two halfs of the vac-form bottle? surely machinery used for that is unique to a factory and not a props department.

I think what makes the taller bottle look taller in pictures is that the top hasn't been put in properly (you can tell because you can still see the rim ring showing underneath the top) the top looks as if it's been purched on and not pushed in (considering it is cork-based underneath).

To back this I've created the table proportions in 3d space. I've roughly positioned the bottles judging their placements on how they fit with the image. The perspective and angle of the bottle makes the two appear very different:

Of course this is just my opinion and I don't want to see this project get thrown off track if I'm right. Also, Spinner's new info is a big stake in this. It's begining to sound more like custom scratch built props were not the case in this production most likely due to time and budget restrictions.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again with the nice work! You guys are great...LOYAL--you rock! AND you got the taper in the mid section that no-one else has noticed...great eye...

No, I too don't want to see the project thrown off track here and I don't think it needs to be over the size issue OR the plastic/glass thing.
I made a choice on the image to base sketches off of and that it should be reproduced in GLASS and now I have finally let you guys know it so...no problem. Unless ofcourse you guys decide you WANT plastic...inwhich case I probably wouldn't be interested in leading this thing up...

I should have a solid up-date soon from one of the bottle manufacturers that I approached. He has sent me a quote based on my height measurment and sketches (which quite frankly suprised me) and at this point it's VERY reasonable...so I'm trying to confirm with him that he didn't accidentally drop a zero here and there.
You guy's will know soon after I do! THANK-YOU ALL for your patience!!
I have a feeling it's really going to pay off!!!
Art Deckard
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever the 'original' bottle was made out of (and the one in the scene from Annie is undeniably plastic) it was surely intended to look like a glass bottle in BR so I think that should be your aim.

And i'll just throw this in for the sake of it - I've just been having a quick look at BR (don't want to watch it too much before I get the Final Cut DVD!) and as Bryant removes the top in his office I'm convinced the sound it makes is 'plasticy'.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep this should definately be made from glass.

The taper is an interesting suggestion, but I think is still uncertain as I drew a box around it which may have proved otherwise. isn't there a much higher resolution of that Rachel photo? (I'm sure I've seen one somewhere) If we're determining a tapper from this pic then it's far too grainy and again there is the possibility we could be looking at an optical illusion.

Here is my final 3d diagram on the proportions of the bottle. I've measured the proportions based on fitting to photos as well as determining measurments. As for the real world height someone else will have to figure that out Wink

OB: if you want to use any of this I can make a higher res image or give you the bottle model.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BeastMaster"]To be honest I think the whole big/small bottle idea sounds a bit ludicrus considering the minor size differences.

I think it comes down to purely an optical illusion and that these bottles, like Art Shippee says were A found item, meaning they purchased a few of these plastic (there is no indication of the bottles being glass) bottles of something as well as a few johnnie walker whiskeys for the labels.

Why would they go to the trouble to make a very slightly smaller bottle and how do they smoothely stick together and seal the two halfs of the vac-form bottle? surely machinery used for that is unique to a factory and not a props department.

I think what makes the taller bottle look taller in pictures is that the top hasn't been put in properly (you can tell because you can still see the rim ring showing underneath the top) the top looks as if it's been purched on and not pushed in (considering it is cork-based underneath).

To back this I've created the table proportions in 3d space. I've roughly positioned the bottles judging their placements on how they fit with the image. The perspective and angle of the bottle makes the two appear very different:

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2056/2054012200_8e4d5a6dfe_o.jpg[/img][/quote]

I had taken that in to account when I first looked at the pic. Aside from the fact that the bottles actually [b][i]look[/i][/b] different, there is the problem of location. In your pic; the smaller bottle is halfway across the table from the larger. This doesn't work simply because; the level of the bottoms is much closer than your diagram portrays. Also, the bottles are clearly inches rather than feet apart.

Why would anyone make two nearly identical sizes of the same style?

-As we have seen dozens (if not hundreds) of times, there is always a that budget-economy-get-two-ounces-free bonus ploy that companies like to use. The result is that container which is just slightly larger but mostly identical to the package we are familiar with.

Another more modern example is the downsized containers that companies are currently trying to slip by us. If you shop you might have noticed the 13 7/8 oz containers that were once 16oz. -Or the new downsized V8 bottles along side the full-sized 64 oz.ers.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the set on the right more accurately represents the image.

BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still not convinced there are two different bottles. There is just the one type.

The matchup is only a rough one, but the base of the left bottle is not visable enough to determin it's position lined up with the other.

I think you've positioned them too close together in the bottom pic. The left bottle looks further away from the glass. It also looks slightly more out of focus (look at the light reflection sharpness near the tops of both bottles) which suggests depth of field meaning it is much further away.

This whole shot suggests the left JW bottle and the one behind with the red cap, are further in the background.
The bottle on the right together with the glass is closer to suggest Rachel is drinking from this one. Thats probably how the photographer set this shot up.
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact i'm pretty sure is that the cap of the bottle is cork made, i saw the Bryant-Deck's scene again and the way Bryant pull the cap shows clearly that the cap isn't screwed...and Bryant make the typical wrist movement when we have to pull a cork cap.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so looking at the clips from the official final cut website, I found this scene which the photo was from.

We'll have to wait for the dvd to see it more clearly, but from what I can make out the gap and distance I analysed looks correct.
This shot is taken from a more front on view. Remember the bottle on the right looks more taller because it has a cap Wink but they both look pretty much the same size.

Here's my excact same 3d scene now at a simular angle to above:

OB: the final cut may have alot more shots of the bottle like this. Do you think it's wise to put production on hold until the discs are released for more analysis?
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the different perspectives on the bottle Beast...very cool work!
I think at this point we are still in the "Getting Quotes" phase of the project and it has been suggested to me that we'll have a lot more to see if we wait for the re-release in December...and I agree.

We have a good quote at this point and I feel fairly confident in saying that we will be able to offer the bottle for a buy-in at LESS than $250.00.
That number looks high I know but, as we are going to get a couple more quotes coming in in the next few weeks, undoubtedly the buy in figure will be less than that and I have a conserted interest in getting this bottle to all that want it for a very reasonable price!
I hope everyone can continue to be patient as we are talking about being able to go into production of the bottle in less than four months if all goes well!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awsome work all, I would also like to add that we can't determine the bottle material from the sound that was made from it, because almost all movie sounds are added later in post production, including dialogue.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also for your consideration, check out the image below:

Myself and a few other's agree that the bottle has a very slight, almost imperceptible angle to the mid-section that starts at the foot ...
Thoughts?

http://nopeek.tripod.com/bitten/id95.html
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks possible. I think we need more angles than just the one image to determine this. can you post that pic without the lines OB?

Final cut should be out in the cinema here soon. I'll keep my eye on the bottle Wink
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go Beast...

repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]We have a good quote at this point and I feel fairly confident in saying that we will be able to offer the bottle for a buy-in at LESS than $250.00

Hey OB does it mean with the 12 yo booze in it and a nice BR BJW anniversary packaging ?!!!

The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't shipping booze over state lines bootlegging?

"He say you Booze Runnah."

"Tell him I'm driving."

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my post here:
http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=344&start=160
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Loyalizer wrote:
Isn't shipping booze over state lines bootlegging?

"He say you Booze Runnah."

"Tell him I'm driving."

LOLZ!
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
Also for your consideration, check out the image below:

Myself and a few other's agree that the bottle has a very slight, almost imperceptible angle to the mid-section that starts at the foot ...
Thoughts?

http://nopeek.tripod.com/bitten/id95.html

Hmm, I'd have to see additional angles before being convinced that the taper wasn't an optical illusion...
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have decided to post varient model pics and let people vote on which they like BEST. This will happen sometime in December after the Final Cut is released on DVD.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: