FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
PRODUCTION INFO on the Johnnie Walker Bottle: A Found Item
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur.
She did repeatedly refer to it as the "Jack Daniels bottle"...

Anyway, Snake makes some good points here and there are some things that still bother me concerning the "Origin" of the bottle.

For instance: We know for certain that there was a plastic one used in Annie of the same configuration as the one seen in Blade-Runner. We KNOW it was plastic in Annie from the way the little girl handles it and due to the sound it makes when she drops it (I refuse to entertain the notion that they took the time to dubb in the sound of a plastic bottle hitting the floor, more likely they simply enhanced the sound they already had)
But we dont know for certain that there was a GLASS bottle used in BR.

Andy says he thinks the one in Bryant's office was glass, which I think is interesting because thats the scene where the bottle has always looked to me to resemble a PLASTIC mouthwash bottle. I maintain that the bottle looks most like glass (to me at any rate) in the scene where Deckard removes it from the top of the piano. It would make sense to me that the hero gets to use the "hero" bottle.

We KNOW that Annie was filmed on the same lot as Blade-Runner and before Blade-Runner AND that one of the prop guy's from Annie also worked on BR, its simple deduction that the prop guy brought the bottle with him to BR...BUT...what about the line drawing of the bottle that Ridley wrote "OK" across the bottom of and then initialed?
Why would someone do a line drawing of the bottle if they already had it?
Why would Ridley be handed a line drawing to OK rather than the bottle itself? Maybe the prop guy was getting permission to use the bottle and had to get an OK from the director before retrieving it from the props store-house?
Maybe this "line-drawing" of the bottle is a fake, I for one have NEVER seen it though a few different people here have mentioned seeing it, no-one has taken the time to post it.

Heres some pics of the bottle which I'm certain you have all seen but here they're lined up for comparison.
First pic is the little girl in Annie holding the bottle up-side down.
Second pic is from the piano scene with Deckard holding it...looks glass to me. Third pic is from Bryants office. The red lines indicate the pyramid shape in the base of the bottle.
nickdaring
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Zhora is bursting out of her dressing room after smacking Deckard around she runs into a big metal trunk on top of which an obviously plastic JW bottle topples off of.

The way it bounces around is pretty good proof of a plastic bottle in BR.

Nick
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't read "Not that I recall" as "No, we didn't have plastic bottles" I took it literally, that he just didn't know for sure, and could not remember.

Nick, you are SCARY.

In a good way. Hell, a GREAT way!

And also, could "store item" mean something that was in the studios prop "storage" You know some people call storage "a store". Just a thought, though I certainly read it as "store bought" too.

My feeling on the drawing that Ridley signed, they probably gave him a stack of drawings with basic bottle shapes drawn on them as opposed to boxes of bottles to look at, and he chose them based on basic shape.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the Bryant scene a few times over and the thickness of the neck and mouth of the bottle seems to me that it has to be glass. The top of the mouth also resembles a wine or other corked bottle without any threading. I also seem to recall someone else pointing this out with HD screen caps as well, but I am not sure if it was here or on the RPF. It could have even been Bladezone for that matter. I am convinced that many of the bottles were plastic though.

I wonder if anyone has talked to Steven Dane about it? It actually has the appearance of many of his designs for the movie.

I did BTW come accross a Scotch(?) bottle once that had a leather corsett like middle. It didn't match, but it gave me the idea that we are missing the bottle because it had something wrapped around the middle disguising it.

Andy
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think NickDaring's pic above is the first solid PROOF of a plastic bottle in BR although I agree with Andy
that MANY of the background Whiskey containers have that hazy appearence which appears to be plastic,
such as this one:
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: