FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Once-Bitten avatar questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Once-Bitten avatar questions Reply with quote

What does it mean?? Is that a Sidkit?
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always taken it to mean that the front trigger busts off if you don't know its not to be pulled. I had an overly curious friend break the cocking lever off my PKD because he thought it was a movable bolt.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's a comment on his feelings about his Coyle BR gun.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the question Masao.
How did I miss this? Guess I've been a little preoccupied with the Bottle Project! Very Happy

I have recieved more than a few stern looks concerning my avatar ever since I first posted it here. Some of you may be aware that after my first few posts were made I then put up my avatar and I was openly accused of only coming to PropSummit on a Witch Hunt for a certain BR Blaster Huckster that sometimes visits this board. I was also accused of having NO true love of Blade-Runner.
Perhaps during my first few post's here...yes...I can see how someone might get that impression. But with time and a whole lot of patience, I have steered away from looking to confront said Huckster and tried to get on with my enthusiasm for all things BR Related.
I do sometimes slip when I read a thread here by others talking about how excited they are to purchase the "Next Model" put out by this individual...I start remembering how excited I was to get my first BR Blaster...and how dissapointed I was to realize that it was nowhere near to being worth what I paid for it and there was no way in HELL I was going to get my money back.
I hit on the idea of making some kind of thought provoking statement with my avatar, not to try to get back at the individual in question specifically (well, maybe a little) but also to try to get people to look past their own "BR Beer Goggles" when considering which Blaster to purchase. I will admit to being a bit pleased to know that my avatar HAS caused a few people to think twice before they blindly put down their hard earned cash. I have been contacted by numerous individuals who thanked me for my reviews as they helped them decide which BR Blaster to purchase and which to stay away from, and again by others who wanted to share their story of making a poor choice when it came to BR Blasters...not to mention the fact that the avatar goes well with my chosen alias here and when I look at it, it really makes me smile!
Check here for my reviews, one of which I just up-dated:

http://nopeek.tripod.com/bitten/id79.html
http://nopeek.tripod.com/bitten/id90.html

---Have a better one!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a good job of repairing that break, because I never even noticed it when I had the gun. Did Rich repair it for you?

And just to let others know that most any of the resin models are fragile on the triggers and will break pretty easily, not just Rich's. The metal and and other more 'durable' versions of these guns is a pretty new phenomenon from the past couple years. I agree that I can not afford Rich's work myself, but I am not sure if they are as bad as they are portrayed by some.

The truth is there is a next generation of these guns coming out, and if anybody want's to get the ultimate gun, they may have to wait a little while longer. I am not sure who will be making these guns, but since the bar has been lifted by Hartford, Sid, and Offworld, as well as Rich's latest all metal, these guns should be worth any wait.

In the mean time I will get what I can afford, and if asked help give honest information about each of them. Otherwise playing favorites is fine, and so is expressing disappointment in having high expectations and having them not met up to. Rich's guns are pretty decent, it seems just very pricy. Considering you are paying for a build-up though, it isn't that far off from the others. Worth the price?...maybe...it depends on what you are looking for. Junk?...definately not. Since he puts in so much hand work into each one they are more costly and also more flawed as a result.

I would advise anybody who is not sure of what to buy right now to do some research, ask questions, know what you want, and then wait and see if that all fails. Each of the currently available guns all have their plusses and minuses. Because Rich's are more expensive then most, any disappointment with them would be greater for sure.

The only ones I would tell any body to avoid at this point are any ones from Charles Wallace, and coolmodels (or anything cast in white resin) on ebay. All of the guys on this forum all make good guns that are all as different as night and day.

That is what this forum is for, getting information from the buyers and sellers of these replicas. You will get lots of different points of veiw, but in between will be some great information about all of them.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy.
I repaired the initial break (The one that occured right after recieving it) AND the break that occured over Halloween. The Halloween break not only punched holes back through the flimsy frame but also broke a large section out of the VERY thin and flimsy section that the triggers are hinged to.

I don't recall using the word "Junk" but for the price I paid compared to what I recieved AND taking into account that Rich has had LOTS of input here concerning the POOR quality of the plastic he has ALWAYS used...? And he now plans another run of Plastic Blasters without a word concerning past "Quality" or lack there of?

I was considering changing my avatar when Rich said he wasn't going to make anymore of his PLASTIC framed blasters but now I'd say it will serve a good purpose for some time to come.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW...they are Prop "Replicas", model copies of movie props, not actual props(Also the actual movie prop cost well over $10,000 to make). I would suggest the Offworld gun to anyone who wants a Cosplay gun. It is what I brought along with me Halloween. Even the Sidkit is a bit fragile in spots, and not to mention very heavy. If dropped it would dent or break easier then the Offworld, and would be harder to glue back together than the Coyle. If dropped on a toe it would be even worse.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich should put "Prop-Replica's" at the top of his web page then...

As I note in my recently up-dated review, I've been handling Props for many years...
"If you can't pick the thing up for fear of it breaking, it has NO business being referred to as a "Prop".
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! What a tale!

Sorry to hear about your blaster...and your clumsey, inconsiderate friend. I have had those in the past.

Not to start a fight, but that review makes you look like a clumsey, ignorant, ham-handed, whiney, crybaby! As for the guy who would squeeze an immovable trigger so hard it would "Explode", well he has other problems.

I happen to know a few things about the CS&T (It should be the CCS&T BTW, but that is another story.) blaster and some complaints have merit while others seem pretty silly.

The 'cheap plastic' for instance is the same material used in real props...unless you only regard polyester or balsa as 'real' blaster material.

If you have handled real props, you already know that they are ugly, sloppy and probably fragile. There are lots of shortcuts. If you don't believe that, well you need to spend more time learning about movie magic. Example: the Iris on the Stargate was painted paper, not titanium.

It is not uncommon for real props to have engraved finger prints of the stars as they are often handed off wet with paint after absent minded directors remember that actors need props. Not to mention the fact that actors are frequently anti-gun and have no clue which end is the 'business' end and frequently drop them. Dropping results in breakage which requires reconstruction and new wet paint...

You can't make a cast part of this material which is as strong as the original metal. Since metal has NOT been the standard for prop scifiguns (the BR blaster in particular) it is unlikely that making a replica would incorporate metal parts. Most of the guns in BR were urethane and or rubber copies of the original hero.

Just because it is breakable does not mean it is not a prop. Consider the real hero BR blaster. Why do you think a switch ended up on the OUTSIDE rather than using the built-in hidden switch?? Why was it that the screwed-down bolt popped open when Ford dropped it? Why do some of the LEDs fail to work?? It was a prop. Props can and do break.

If you want to play with a real prop like the studios do, you need to hire a propmaker to stand by and fix all the breakage. You asked to be corrected...there you go.

There is a very famous incident in an episode of Star Trek where Shatner breaks his communicator and whenches it back into shape without skipping a beat. It was so smooth that it remains in the episode to this day (the one where he fights the Gorn). Then there is Leia's blaster in Star Wars and numerous other examples that have made it past all editing. Those are just the ones we know about.

I don't know about your shipping conflict but I do know that Richard has routinely fixed flaws and breakage for the price of shipping.

The story about people with 'money in hand' walking away seems pretty unlikely.

Yes, sometimes deadlines reduce the QA when speed is the priority, but a simple request to make repairs has usually gotten results.

Another note on the metal guns. There are not too many people that Richard trusts to work in metal for him. In fact, I only know of one he trusts to finish metal parts. He didn't move away from plastic because of an avatar. Metal is just better for this project. Plastic is because people complain about price.

About the front trigger: just about every Coyle fan knows that there is one firm rule: "Don't pull the front trigger". Yes, there were two variations where the trigger had a function, but those were the exceptions. Anyone familiar with set triggers knows that only one fires it and is often the rear trigger.

Here is another problem: The only BR blaster that is on the market that I know of which never ripped off Coyle is the Doppleganger.

Sid and others I have seen all 'borrowed' from Coyle. If you know what to look for, there is no doubt.

Coyle has had to have a little prodding over the years (ok, a lot of shoving Wink ) to accurize the gun, but he has always been the leader in making the most accurate gun.

That said; it is not a mass-produced, laser-cut, computer-measured, precision instrument. It is a hand-made art piece. It is more accurate than the real stunt pistols, but not as durable. It has more function, but not the pedigree. It is only a replica. It holds up to more scrutiny than the real thing in the same material, but it can never be the real gun.

And as to the $500 pricetag...well, I have seen earlier (less accurate)versions go for more.

Those are the facts of life regarding replicas. We all have to live with them.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked about my avatar and I kindly answered.

Apparently Rich HASNT moved away from plastic as he told everyone he was going to as he's allready working on another run of them...well...again that's what he say's, I can't keep track of all the variations on what he say's...
Sounds like you'll be running out to by one from him Huh?

I appreciate you taking the time to read my review.
Perhaps you'll also take the time to grace us all with one of your own?
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be ethical to review the Coyle blasters since I have a hand in building too many of them. Instead, my criticizms have gone into improving the gun over the years. Besides, every edition has its own quirks.

In case you are wondering about me; I have been "the burr under the saddle" that has driven many of the improvements over the past decade plus. Long before Phil contributed his bit of research, I was digging out detail after detail. Clear grips, replacing 'lost screw holes', improved QA, stronger triggers, repaired diamond pattern, working lasersight LED, and tapered grip butt and more, are all contributions of mine.

It has been a team effort for many years. Rich is currently building them alone. I have no specific idea what he is doing with them right now. Also, I have no information about his new plastic edition. I'll have to talk with him about it to find out.

All of which is the reason I had to respond once I knew what the avatar was about. Since it is now personnally offensive, I had to say something. I know what goes into it and, unless it was seriously flawed, (and seriously abused) it shouldn't explode...ever!

If you can handle glass objects without breaking them, you can handle the blaster.

It still can be repaired, if you have the parts. You said you have the skills. If you need help with the details, please let me know.

BTW, did your 'friend' ever offer to pay his estimate of $50?? It seems like he kicked you in the groin and tried to convince you he didn't feel a thing, so you shouldn't. Rolling Eyes
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't ever fault someone for making an honest mistake if I can help it...but someone making a mistake and overcharging me for it? That's a different matter.
I think it was bbabich who summed it up nicely when he wrote...Sell a good product and the customer will tell a friend, sell a bad product and he'll tell twice as many.
As to your comment on plastic, I know for a fact that more than a few people have mentioned this basic flaw to Rich directly...and he still does nothing to change it. Some people just can't take good advice.

I'm truly sorry you take personal offense to my avatar...maybe next time you have a question for me and want me to take it seriously, you can PM me.
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that Once-Bitten's Avatar probably saved my Offworld M2019 (the one that used to be sold on the Monsters in Motion website).

When I unpacked it I went to pull the front trigger and then his avatar with the front trigger falling off flashed in my mind (no sh*t).

Well, sure enough, the front trigger on the M2019 is fixed (too bad there were no instructions included telling me of that fact).

Obviously I didn't want to experiment with it to see if it WOULD break. However, I figure one of my friends or family members will cross that bridge sometime in the future - I'll keep you posted.

Just wanted to show that this problem is not limited to just one particular maker of this prop.

Regards,
oldzey

Last edited by oldzey on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main issue with Rich's materials is that he tried to make a bunch of delicate parts, based on the actual gun parts. Nobody had done this before. His new plastic or 'stunt' model is made of fewer parts and is much less fragile. When he first started making these they were all resin and fragile and I have seen a bunch of all the other guns with broken triggers up on ebay. I truley wish like everybody else that rich would make his metal gun affordable for us poor people, and try to find a way to make them cheaper, but his main customers have always been those that want something that looks accurate over something that 'plays' well. Trust me I give him crap all the time because I can not buy one of his metal models. I still think you are playing from a personal perspective more than a fair one.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed-back guys...
I would however like to think of myself as someone capable of taking constructive feedback and doing something positive with it SO, in the interest of everyone's peace of mind...
How do you like my new avatar? Very Happy

I'd rather spend time thinking about all that J.W.B. everyone's going to get to drink from their new Glass BR Whiskey Bottle anyway! Cool

http://nopeek.tripod.com/bitten/id95.html
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the change. BTW, I was serious about the reconstruction advice/info should you wish to rebuild.

Metal guns for the poorfolks: well, there are many answers to this but; the main problem is production cost. Just making the parts is not cheap. Rich has no means cast metal "in-house" so he has to farm this out. These parts are crude and take a LOT of effort to true-up and finish properly. Without a high-tech machine shop to process these parts, it is a slow, laborious, arduous task. With a high-tech machine shop, it is just plain expensive!

By comparison; the plastic parts are 'relatively' easy and cheaper. The trade off goes beyond just machining. The prop becomes more fragile as detail features are included. Batteries add weight without adding structure, moving parts reduce structural integrity etc...

The next problem is complexity. This is a crazy project. (Not an exaggeration.) The number of parts compares to the old AMT model kits and the complexity is barely covered by what Richard charges.

If you want a more durable (and cheaper) version he usually does have the 'Stunt' models available.

BTW, when the airsoft version came out, they sold out quickly at $600! This was MORE than Richard was charging for a more accurate model at the same time.

If you can't afford a more expensive version, my suggestion is to buy a stunt version and dress it up yourself.

If you can afford both, a stunt model makes a good costume piece with minimal risk.

Contact RAC for availability of those.

I wouldn't wear a prop that cost over $500 unless I was on camera...unless I didn't have to pay for it!
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fell into this thread a little late, but I do feel I have somehting to add.

Smile

I was one of the folks who rallied very hard against OB for that avatar, and what I saw as purely negative postings and attitudes. I was the guy who thought he signed up here because he only wanted to mess with Rich.

But he changed my mind since, and now days I really like having him around! I think he has brought a lot of fun to the boards, and he has an interesting insight and point of view.

I like his new avatar quite a bit too.

Funny how that happens, ain't it?

Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...So maybe I'm an anal retentive BASTARD...BUT...How ya like my NEWEST Avatar?
Definately keeps me entertained. Twisted Evil
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty entertaining, the bottle montage goes by fast enough that you don't pick out all the images in one viewing. BTW what are you using to put your animated avatar together, I've been using Painter IX to do animated .gifs but I'm not entirely too keen on how it handles in that regard.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Loyal!
The Progs used to create the NEW Avatar are: Photo Impact 5 and Photo Impact PRO.
MUCH Thanks to my TECH GUY- JAY!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> The Coffee Shop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: