FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
some stuff I've been working on... * More stuff!! :) *
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: some stuff I've been working on... * More stuff!! :) * Reply with quote

Haven't really posted much stuff here lately, so I'll start with a few quick snaps of some of the things I've made and still in the process of making.

These cards were firstly printed onto paper. I then printed a second graphic layer onto transparency film which also gives a glossy protective surface. The transparency layer really lifts the graphics out sharpening the colours also giving them a nice slight metalic shine to the light. Once the transparencys are applied to the paper they are then applied and trimmed around blank plastic base cards. The vidphon card has gold foil underneath the transparency, which was where I got the idea of using transparencys first of all.

I did make a laminate version of the keycard like the one in the movie, but it was just too flimsy and crappy looking compared to a real card Rolling Eyes

Rachels pic:

This is my new sculpt for a wallet version of the FORCE badge, made from sculpey. I tried to replicate the real FORCE badge pattern in every way. I'm planning to cast this and the picture frame piece in metal.

and the scale inside the wallet. It measures out around the same dimensions as an LAPD badge.

That's all for now folks! I'll post images of more stuff I'm working on along the way. Feel free to post here any stuff you're working on too Smile

Last edited by BeastMaster on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea going with the printed transparency over printed paper. I'll have to try that. Where did you get the blank cards if you don't mind my asking.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Shocked Verry impresssed and very interested. Smile
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:O

Am I to assume you'll be producing Rick's apt. card?

If so, count me in.
Kgaijin
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO WANT!
Bill Hunt
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very impressive work, BeastMaster. If you ever offer any of these items for sale, I'd absolutely be interested in purchasing a set of them. You're clearly a very talented artist and craftsman.

May I ask, where did you obtain the actual wallet? Is it readily available?

Do you plan to make these items available to others once you perfect them to your satisfaction?

Fantastic job!
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
WOW! Shocked Verry impresssed and very interested. Smile

What ^HE^ said. Shocked
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all!

thanks for the interest. I don't plan on releasing anything just yet. maybe when it's finished and I'm sick of the sight of it I might release a few wallet sets Wink

Loyalizer: I emailed a card printing company from my work, requesting some blank sample cards. They sent me a book with around nine cards the next day. score! Very Happy

Feuyaer: Unfortunately I ruined all my keycard prototypes which you could have had, but I think kevin is planning a proper keycard run.

Bill: I got the wallet from ebay, but if you type in "trifold badge wallet" in google there are many available online http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2947.php

I'm expecting some silver origami paper in the post today in an attempt to make the unicorn. will post that up if my skills in origami are successful.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!

Well done.

- k
Kevin
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They all look great. I particularly like the VidPhon card. That gold foil really makes it "pop".

Nice work.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys Very Happy

no origami paper today Sad so I'm gonna attempt to make the silicone mould of the badge tonight.

speaking about the badge, does anyone (particularly folks that own spinner44's wallet set) know how these badges are attatched to the wallet? My wallet just has a blank leather board with the intention of manualy cutting the badge shape out.
Bill Hunt
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
hey all!

thanks for the interest. I don't plan on releasing anything just yet. maybe when it's finished and I'm sick of the sight of it I might release a few wallet sets Wink

Definitely add me to your list. Wink

Quote:
Bill: I got the wallet from ebay, but if you type in "trifold badge wallet" in google there are many available online http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum2947.php

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can find snooping around. If anyone has a recommendation for a particular brand/model, please chime in.

By the way BeastMaster, do you have pics of the backs of your cards? Does the VidPhon card have the markings revealed in the featurette in new DVDs?
oldzey
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work!
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Hunt wrote:

By the way BeastMaster, do you have pics of the backs of your cards? Does the VidPhon card have the markings revealed in the featurette in new DVDs?

indeed, the vidphon card has the back graphics from the dvd. The credit card has some black japanese text simular to the vidphon. The appartment card is left blank.
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
cheers guys Very Happy

no origami paper today Sad so I'm gonna attempt to make the silicone mould of the badge tonight.

speaking about the badge, does anyone (particularly folks that own spinner44's wallet set) know how these badges are attatched to the wallet? My wallet just has a blank leather board with the intention of manualy cutting the badge shape out.

I think most badge holes are usually custom die-cut so they have nice sharp edges and fit the badge perfectly.

I haven't the foggiest about how you'd accomplish it yourself though, sorry...

Bruce
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
cheers guys Very Happy

I would trace the outline of the badge and then cut out the backing with an xacto knife, then use 3M automotive tape to hold it. I've worked with that stuff in the past and once it makes the bond, it's very difficult for it to come off, even after several years.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like very thick leather, which I imagine shouldn't be too difficult to cut if I keep scoring slowely. I'll have to cut it slightly smaller than the badge so it fits snug.
Thats a good idea with the tape svander, though I might try and put the badge on some kind of backing like this

the thick leather is very tight to the wallet so theres no chance of it slipping out the side or anything.

gonna try and get the badge casted at the weekend
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BeastMaster wrote:
It looks like very thick leather, which I imagine shouldn't be too difficult to cut if I keep scoring slowely. I'll have to cut it slightly smaller than the badge so it fits snug.
Thats a good idea with the tape svander, though I might try and put the badge on some kind of backing like this

the thick leather is very tight to the wallet so theres no chance of it slipping out the side or anything.

gonna try and get the badge casted at the weekend

That is how the badge I got from bbabich last year(?) was held in place, with a leather backer that the pin goes through.

Good luck with your casting attempt and take lots of pictures!

Bruce
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick update:

I created the mould last night, but unfortunately it didn't capture all the details of the badge. I also over estimated my silicone usage and made waaay too much, so wasted alot of it (this stuff isn't cheap) so I'm gonna bite my lip and try again if I have enough left. Next time I will change my pouring technique. It's all a learning curve for me Confused

on a good note, I managed to capture from my blue-ray...well more like take photos of the HDTV screen Rolling Eyes , but they look good and I re-created Leons esper photo last night which turned out really nice. Will post some pics soon.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our issued police badges, the badge maker showed me how they attach the badges to the leather:
1. Rough up the leather and badge surfaces to provide "tooth"
2. Use Devcon fast set epoxy (they are adamant about this brand)
3. Apply thin layer to badge and leather attachment areas but NO NOT JOIN
4. When first layer has dried, add second coat of epoxy and attach, use light pressure/weight until glue has set

Now, this is intended for badges that are carried daily and used. You may not need to do step 3 for a display piece. I carry my pocket badge at all times, and I've never had a separation.

On my very short run (my metal caster got ill and retired before I could get more badges cast) metal badge project, I used this technique and the badge sits flat and solidly in the wallet cutout.

I would avoid using anything that adds thickness to the badge such as foam tape, etc. The epoxy lays pretty thin, even in two layers. I woud NOT undercut the badge recess as it will cause the rest of the leather to deform due to the badge pushing against all sides. On real badge cases, specifically die cut for badges, there is a small gap (1/32 - 1/16") all around. They dye the cut edge black so it does not stand out

Last edited by eltee on Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: