FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The Hartford Snubby (picture heavy)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericg2216

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all! new to the board. I want in one one of these, fullsize or snubby. Thanks for keeping us informed on these.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the release of these Noeland?

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted a snubby on eBay for around $800.00 - Nuts.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just haven't had time to jump into this the way I intended to, and still want to, and at this point I haven't heard from Kato in quite a while.

I saw the auction too, I think that's one of Punchy's other seller names, it looks like one of his auctions anyway.

Yeah, the price stings a bit.

I'll make an effort to get some concrete answers about the blaster production this coming weekend and week, and post what I find out.

Njc---------------
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe they actually called it C.S.!

LOL
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CS as in "Chiefs Special" - that is a replica Smith and Wesson that Hartford makes.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/M637.htm
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the hartford is built on a smith and wesson chief's special revolver, not a charter arms.

So, it's not a rip off of Rich's gun. Not a single item on the Hartford is taken from Rich's work.

Njc---------
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Whatever you want to believe McCoy..." LOL

Ok, the most obvious item (which doesn't exist of course) is the identical curve in the cocking lever. This "tell" is only on Rich's guns and copies of Rich's guns but never on the original props...so it has no business being on any other gun...unless the gun is a copy of one of Rich's.

BTW the CS stands for Coyle and Steinschiedner...funny that it only appears on guns created after Coyle started calling his 'C&S'.

But what do I know, right?
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The curve in the bolt handle that "doesn't exsist"?

Well by george you've convinced me!

Quote:

That, my friend, is a 2 way street.

And I don't know who you are outside of you being called a resin monkey by Paul, so if you're going to heap on the holier than thou sarcasm feel free to introduce yourself first. I'm assuming you work for Rich?

The bolt handle on the hero prop is the real steel steyr bolt handle. This is common knowledge. It's very real. If you are referring to the "curve" I think you are, the top, then the curve happens when you heat and bend the bolt handle, which they did have to do for the hero prop. It's there.

I also chatted with Craig about this subject more than once, and how he achieved it for his metal initiative blaster, which I have fired BTW, and he said it was one of the toughest parts of his build to get right.

If you are referring to the particular way it curves or something else, the angle maybe, well, post up some photos to prove your point, or just be more specific please, because I must be misunderstanding you.

You should also know before making claims that the hartford gun isn't a resin casting. It's laser cut. The smith and wesson frame is injection molded I believe, but the steyr parts are laser cut from ABS black plastic. There isn't a scrap of polyester resin on or in the gun. It's colored ABS or it's metal.

But hey, what do I know, right?

Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what you said: "So, it's not a rip off of Rich's gun. Not a single item on the Hartford is taken from Rich's work."

Since people have been making some authoritative, silly and inaccurate (even strange) claims lately. I had to answer this statement.

The single and obvious thing I was referring to was the bolt handle (handle of the cocking bolt that hangs off the side.)

The real Steyer has a particular bend which matches the curved sideplate on the right-side cylinder cover of the Worldcon or vice versa.

During the years of development in which I worked with Rich, I had mentioned this. He decided not to change it but rather use it as a 'tell'.

A 'tell' is a marker that acts as a signature. If someone decides to copy your work directly or indirectly, the 'tell' would give the copy away. The "how do you know?" defensive posture doesn't cover the guilty party. The 'tells' tell all!

Most models have multiple 'tells'. Most are mistakes, but others are deliberate signatures.

The "short curve" bolt handle is just one 'tell'. Look at the shadow of the curve. It is higher than it should be.

Finally, the difference in material has little to do with being copied. It is now possible to make items from metal from originals that were made in paper or nothing but electrons!

I hope this clears things up.
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masao wrote:

Ok, the most obvious item (which doesn't exist of course) is the identical curve in the cocking lever. This "tell" is only on Rich's guns and copies of Rich's guns but never on the original props...so it has no business being on any other gun...unless the gun is a copy of one of Rich's.

BTW the CS stands for Coyle and Steinschiedner...funny that it only appears on guns created after Coyle started calling his 'C&S'.

But what do I know, right?

So you're saying he purposefully kept an inaccuracy with the goal of using it as a "tell" aginst future copies of his model? Is that correct?

If so, that flies right in the face of his professed goal of 100% accuracy, doesn't it?

Bruce
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know all about Rich's tells Masao. I've chatted with many people about them, including Craig Kovach. I know what many of the differences between versions are, and I'm well aware he purposefully put in tells. Rich himself has admitted to putting them in there. I've never had an issue with it.

Look at Karl's photos with the bolt handle open on the hero gun. It's bent the same way as Rich's, just not at exactly the same point. The handle has to be bent downward or it would be sticking off away from the side plate if left as it is on the rifle.

The "curve" of the bolt handle as it is on the rifle is NOT the same as it is on the hero gun. It HAD to be bent downward.

I own 3 hartfords, and 2 coyles. A version 3, and a version 4 point something something.

The bolt handle on the hartford is smooth, not as wide, has different contours, and has a very different end. The "scoop" on the end is not quite the same as Rich's.

HERO:

SIDE BY SIDE:

SNUBBY, FULL HF, COYLE:

I think these speak for themselves.

It also illustrates the different in grip frame thickness, grip thickness and contour, and well, QUALITY.

The important thing to remember here is that Kato and the guys at hartford RESPECT RICH a great deal, and they are all stand up honorable guys who have no interest in behaving otherwise.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to post this one.

This one shows that the handle isn't as "flaired" and not quite as wide as Rich's, which is cast from the real deal. The HF isn't.

Also shows some of the differences in the right side cover, and the steyr ejection port. The HF shows a lot more of the bolt when viewed this way.

Again, this is the difference between something designed in CAD and then laser cut, versus what's been cast from the real guns.

Hartford wasn't going for screen accurate, BTW, they wanted to make their own signature version of the blaster, based on a gun they'd been making for a long time, a smith and wesson replica.

I've told them more varients like thier snubby would be cool. They generally only do replicas of single action revolvers, and smith and wesson double actions, so I think everyone enjoyed doing something more creative with the snubby gun.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarlBud420 wrote:

So you're saying he purposefully kept an inaccuracy with the goal of using it as a "tell" aginst future copies of his model? Is that correct?

If so, that flies right in the face of his professed goal of 100% accuracy, doesn't it?

Bruce

Yes, it does, but back in the time Hartford decided to make theirs, 100% was not the goal. That goal came much later, after the version in question. Some here contributed to that goal.

I don't remember exactly which version this was ('3. something' I think) but it was years before the Worldcon gun.

Granted, Hartford did make great improvements. They had to. The processes they had available as well as requirements demanded that things needed to be changed...but, they also made the mistake of copying Rich's mistakes. Somewhere in Rich's files he has a letter they sent him. -A 'thank you' letter for his contribution so that is something else that should be noted.

Let's not forget that the Worldcon gun was not even a consideration until mid 2006. It was a total mystery...even to the owner apparently!

Everything that came before was the work that earned the vindication and criticism by those of us who had worked on the recreation. Like a quote from Zorro..."when the student is ready, the master appears." Everyone else since Karl and Rich and Terry have had all that work just handed to them.

Those johnny-come-latelies have no cause to be patting themselves on the back and say; "What a good boy am I!"
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masao,
You're right about the hero discoveries being a recent thing, but Rich had himself a stunt casting to build from and tool from. Those stunt casting have been bouncing around for years and years and that showed Rich all he needed to know to start his model.

And one look at the stunt guns tells you how to bend the bolt handle, create the side panels, form the grips, etc. I'm not trying to say it's easy, but it's there to see if you know what you're looking at.

I'd like to add that what I know of the film blaster, and it's replicas in one form another, started from my previous friendship with Craig Kovach. I've learned a lot since, but that guy has studied the blaster so closely he could probably teach a college course on the subject. I owe much of my blade runner knowledge to Craig, and probably via Craig, from Rich.

And I don't think anyone is denying the impact Rich and Phil's research and legwork have had on other replicas.

That said, had they not done it, someone else was going to. It could have been any of the blasters fans on this board. I know that I started to research the gun at a young age with every intention of building myself one.

Also like to add I don't think Hartford "improved" the blaster neccesarily. It's a different beast altogether.

I would not be surprised if Hartford sent him a thank you letter, that sounds just like Kato. He's that kind of guy. I would also not be surprised if Rich thought that a thank you letter meant they ripped him off in some way either. hahahaha.

Wink
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noeland wrote:
Masao,
You're right about the hero discoveries being a recent thing, but Rich had himself a stunt casting to build from and tool from. Those stunt casting have been bouncing around for years and years and that showed Rich all he needed to know to start his model.

And one look at the stunt guns tells you how to bend the bolt handle, create the side panels, form the grips, etc. I'm not trying to say it's easy, but it's there to see if you know what you're looking at.

Really? Having seen multiple variations on the stunt casting, I have to guess you have some psychic insight into the prop:

- The castings are short. Without knowing the actual length of the hero prop, only source parts could answer the question of actual length.

- The castings were distorted. Beyond being just compressed on length, some (if not all) of the castings tended to be laterally compressed (flattened).

-The castings were stubby. The pistol grips were smaller than a standard grip.

-Missing detail. Like the Steven Wright joke about the lost button hole, there are areas that were lost in castings either because of mold flaws or claying.

-Altered parts. As everyone can see: numerous parts from the butt plate to the "sight laser" rod on the side are completely different from the worldcon hero.

Short list of differences:

Missing from the stunt but present in the Worldcon Hero:

External Wires
LEDs in the clip
LED mountings in the clip
top sight mounting screws
cylinder cover screw
cylinder cover screw hole
bottom LED
clip well/barrel bottom screw
Grip frame screw
complete diamond pattern.
Steyer receiver screws

Changed:

Butt plate
Side "Laser sight"

Lost detail:

Separations in the cylinder frame and clip well.
Definition in the lettering.

That list is just from off the top of my head so it is probably not complete.

I suppose we must all bow down before you for seeing though the obvious disguise of the blaster. Smile

Noeland wrote:
And I don't think anyone is denying the impact Rich and Phil's research and legwork have had on other replicas.

Plainly, they are and by implication, mine is too.

Noeland wrote:
That said, had they not done it, someone else was going to. It could have been any of the blasters fans on this board.

Who? Sid? Oz Shop? Oz Shop was the world standard in 1985. They had no inclination to go beyond the resin kit stage. They were also far from accurate. Sid would have nothing if it were not for Rich. Who then? I know two of the guys who made the first "stunt casting have been bouncing around for years and years". Rich introduced me years ago! They had no inclination of taking it further. Rick Ross seems to have done the most aside from Rich in pursuing a working model. He decided to go his own way a long time ago and not pursued more accuracy since.

The question stands: Who is this "someone"?

Very few of the members here would have the inclination or knowledge (or board for that matter) to do anything without those who actually made it happen.

Noeland wrote:
Also like to add I don't think Hartford "improved" the blaster neccesarily. It's a different beast altogether.

Wink

Yes, oddly different! Why does it look more like one of Rich's older guns than the Hero or stunt??

Very, very odd.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let him draw you out with the same bate and switch tactics that Rich used Noeland...
Hey, this is kinda funny...ME making that suggestion to YOU.

I have an idea, why don't we talk about Noelands AMAZING Hartford and not let this thread get side tracked into a discussion about how great Rich is?

He DID leave didn't he?
GOSH...I really hope the door didn't hit him in the ass on the way out.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. I don't mind chatting with him though, and if the thread goes OT I don't mind that either as long as it stays civil and respectful, which I think Masao is treading.

But, we can always remove these posts from the thread and start a new thread in the pit if Tom would like too. I don't feel it would be right to make that call myself.

But I don't mind replying either. So, here we go . . .
Wink

Quote:
Really? Having seen multiple variations on the stunt casting, I have to guess you have some psychic insight into the prop:

AH, yes. You figured out my secret. Smile

Quote:
- The castings are short. Without knowing the actual length of the hero prop, only source parts could answer the question of actual length.

The Steyr Mannlicher SL in 222 caliber, and the charter arms bulldog in 44 special. Both of which Rich had/has access to.

Quote:
- The castings were distorted. Beyond being just compressed on length, some (if not all) of the castings tended to be laterally compressed (flattened).

Which doesn't have any real impact on the final product when you are mastering your replica from the real steel parts. But it goes a long way in informing the replica, and what kinds of things need to be done.

Quote:
-The castings were stubby. The pistol grips were smaller than a standard grip.

I've seen 1 stunt gun under glass, that was very clean, not "stubby", not short, and not distorted. I've held one in my hands that was also not stubby, not short, and not distorted.

There is no "standard grip". Grips are proprietary to the item they are made for.

Quote:
-Missing detail. Like the Steven Wright joke about the lost button hole, there are areas that were lost in castings either because of mold flaws or claying.

Quote:
-Altered parts. As everyone can see: numerous parts from the butt plate to the "sight laser" rod on the side are completely different from the worldcon hero.

This is old news Masao.

Quote:
I suppose we must all bow down before you for seeing though the obvious disguise of the blaster.

There is no reason to be rude, but if you feel the need to bow, I can't even see you, so have a party.

Quote:
The question stands: Who is this "someone"?

Adam Savage, Steve Dymzo, Rick Ross, Craig, John, Bryan, maybe even Dean or Jason, Tom, Dick, Harry, all could have researched the blaster and created a very nice replica.

Wait . . . a few of them actually DID.

Quote:
Yes, oddly different! Why does it look more like one of Rich's older guns than the Hero or stunt??

Very, very odd.

yes, I know there is a gap between the grip and the sideplate, just like one of Rich's umpteen versions. Must be a recast.

I change my mind. Hartford sucks.
Wink

Quote:
He DID leave didn't he?

He did. And despite everything, I would still like to see him come back.

I should probably just move this thing to the pit . . .
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the Record, "Chief's Specials" and "CS" have been around as a name for a type of revolver long before Blade Runner. Though I do believe they are short barreled. Maybe Hartford thought that is what Rich was refering to with his name "C&S", and just like so many have used "PKD" they just kept the name going, not knowing what it meant, or where it came from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: