FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
There's. No. Badge.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: There's. No. Badge. Reply with quote

Probably old, but just to remind people who still seem to think it's accurate to have a badge in their wallet (but no harm in it, be creative and such, not everything has to be 100% accurate)

Go to disc 4 of the new set

Go to the Fabrication video

Go to Signs of the Times

go to 03:09 of 13:41

And you'll see Deckard clearly showing the wallet, at which point we see all three sides of the tri-fold, and, viola, no badge.

Using VLC player is hard to start-and-stop to get a good frame by frame, but when you watch the movement he does with it in full motion it becomes clear.

If I'm way behind on this one (it took forever for the DVD to ship to me) then I apologize Smile.
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes, spinner posted these caps on the RPF. Though it's been known for a while that there probably was no badge.

I dont even think the wallet is a proper badge wallet. The mid section looks to have card slots or something.
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha okay, I just wasn't sure because I continue to see badges in progress and for sale. Which is fine, but I just hope those buying them understand they are the product of the fan's imagination. And I don't even go to the RPF....

Man this DVD is superb. As someone's probably seen in like 5 topics, I'm obsessed with re-creating this stuff in Second Life, and all of these new reference images talked about by Southwell are incredibly helpful.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not defending the badge idea
as it's been out right debunked as
far as I'm concerned but... that wallet
has ALWAYS appeared to me to be
folded over something bulky in the middle and buttoned.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted the same thing myself. I do think that they may have worked on a badge, but if it was ever made and then approved by Ridley, I am almost positive we would have seen Deckard show it off. It comes accross much more clearly as "I am a cop" than flashing an ID.
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The patrol men certainly DO have badges.Why not Deckard?I guess it's possible that plain clothes officers ID cards fulfill the function of badge as well.Maybe when the ID is viewed thrugh the visors the police wear it confirms the identity of the subject by reading a computer imprint.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad thought...I like that!
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was never a badge, the ID is the badge according to Southwell. Also, Spinner44.com posted a long, long, long time ago that a badge was never made by Southwell's group for the movie. Fast forward to the theory that Art Shippee's group worked on a badge and put it in there, guess what??? John contacted Art Shippee and he confirmed that there was no badge.

It is nice to see some screen caps, but we have known for well over a year that there was no badge from people in or associated directly with the production.

There are some great fantasy badges out there, I like them myself, I own a few, but that is all they are... a fantasy. Smile

-Bryan
Feuyaer
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh...yeah...I sort of got that in the first reply.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good that we can all talk about these things reasonably with out taking each other's heads off... Very Happy
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been a long road.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watching the out-takes last night I was struck again (but in a different way) by the little conversation Deckard has with the guy behind the bar at Taffy's inwhich he reminds Deckard--- "You got a badge!"

I know it means nothing but it reminds me about a simple truth, Deckards a cop, cop's carry badges, DOUBLEY so if they are a detective, and whether or not we all KNOW there wasn't really a badge in his wallet, In the make believe world of Blade-Runner...there WAS a badge in his wallet...NO, not one persons interpretation of that badge, but everybody's...
Now go have fun you crazy kids.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbabich wrote:
There was never a badge, the ID is the badge according to Southwell. Also, Spinner44.com posted a long, long, long time ago that a badge was never made by Southwell's group for the movie. Fast forward to the theory that Art Shippee's group worked on a badge and put it in there, guess what??? John contacted Art Shippee and he confirmed that there was no badge.

It is nice to see some screen caps, but we have known for well over a year that there was no badge from people in or associated directly with the production.

There are some great fantasy badges out there, I like them myself, I own a few, but that is all they are... a fantasy. Smile

-Bryan

Was it Shippee, Southwell or someone else who created the metal badges for the uniformed cops? It would seem logical that the creater/maker of the large badges would have also made the smaller wallet badge...if, indeed, there was one.

It was interesting to note that Gaff is seen wearing his ID card clipped to his shirt in one scene inside the police HQ. This is in keeping with protocols of screen and real police of the era, especially in Southern California. With such attention to detail re. police procedures and practices, it still seems incredulous that the plainclothes guys don't have a metal badge as well. I hold to my theory that in the snake salesman scene, Deckard deliberately opens up the folds of his wallet to display something in/on the middle panel.

Maybe the 50th Anniversary edition DVD, in 3-D, will reveal more. Very Happy
bbabich
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary,

I know that Southwell designed the badge for the officers and I believe Shippee made the badge or someone in his group made the badge.

I am sure you believe he is showing something, but there just was no badge. Southwell said in both the interview and in his discussions with Spinner44 that the ID is also the badge. In all of the conversations, emails ect. this badge theory that we in the prop community have held on to, was flat out denied.

So on the more interpretive side with my own supposition: This makes sense if you look at the other designs for the light up clip-on ID/badge concept drawings... it gives you an idea of a design direction. If you look at all of the information out there, besides what we have found out in the past year or so, look at the conceptual drawings they give a lot of direction with the vision of the production and no badge concept has been found for the plain clothes officers, just the street officers. The street officers concept drawings are pretty close to the final.

-Bryan
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy on the right, with short sleeves, has a clip on ID card.

Gaff with clipon card.

This is one of the better shots of the wallet open featuring the middle section. It looks like there's something in there, probably cards.

- Karl
MsGeek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh awesome...Police 995 MOTORCYCLE HELMET!!!!

It's white, which is very much in keeping with modern LAPD motorcycle officer gear, and also with LAPD motorcycle cop gear throughout the modern history of the department. Dammit I wanted black, (would have looked cooler!) but white it is.

I also notice it has the metal "chicken" on it...not to be confused with chickenheads, of course. They show up on eBay all the time. Cool. I originally was going to get a vinyl cut done of it, but this actually looks cooler.

Thank you for the big capture of the cops.
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well....that guy looks like the infamous James Jacobson himself!

Bruce
moogybaby
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does look like James Jacobsen or Vincent LaPaglia.
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! You mean that hair is real?!

[/b]
moogybaby
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That may even be a little bit of epaulet in the lower left of the picture.

Cool.

Another thought and maybe I'm just seeing things.

Does it appear that in "Jacobsen"'s photograph that the Red "X" on his badge may have been on the ID holder not on the ID itself?

It certainly appears that way in the photo.

Thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: