FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Weaver Knobs - Screen Accurate or WorldCon Accurate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moogybaby
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Weaver Knobs - Screen Accurate or WorldCon Accurate Reply with quote

There's no question in my mind that what's currently on the Deckard blaster (at least one of them) is the Weaver knob, rather than the slot-head screw.

Is there any photographic evidence of the Weaver knob being used at all in the filmic blaster?

I haven't seen anything to indicate that it was present at time of filming.

To the contrary, most evidence that I've seen points the opposite way- to the slot-head.

Anyone?
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there's a thread here with some pics that make a good arguement for the slot screw being in the film, but I have no idea which thread it's in.

Philippes posted a pic over at the RPF with the slot screw, the guess being that it was an image from filming and not post production. Not sure if the owner's asked for it's removal yet.
Bill Hunt
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted two screenshots from the Blu-ray Disc version of Blade Runner that reveal the slotted screw on the prop in the film. You'll find them in this thread, about three-quarters of the way down on the first page:

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=643&highlight=
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weaver Knobs - Screen Accurate or WorldCon Accurate Reply with quote

moogybaby wrote:
There's no question in my mind that what's currently on the Deckard blaster (at least one of them) is the Weaver knob, rather than the slot-head screw.

Is there any photographic evidence of the Weaver knob being used at all in the filmic blaster?

I haven't seen anything to indicate that it was present at time of filming.

To the contrary, most evidence that I've seen points the opposite way- to the slot-head.

Anyone?

I've never seen on-screen evidence that the weaver knob was present during filming. Screencaps from the HD rip on my PC, appear to show slotted-head:

moogybaby
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, my point, gents.

What explains the rush to get Weaver knobs then?

Is the quest for screen-accurate not the ideal any longer?

Not looking for arguments, just ideas.

Thx.

Tom
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

moogybaby wrote:
Exactly, my point, gents.

What explains the rush to get Weaver knobs then?

Is the quest for screen-accurate not the ideal any longer?

Not looking for arguments, just ideas.

Thx.

Tom

I don't rightly know. I'm assuming it's simply because when the screen-used blaster surfaced (with great omgfanfare), it had a Weaver knob on it. Confused

Mine all have (& future models will continue to have) the slotted-head.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both and beleive the slotted screw is the accurate one.

The weaver knob, until shown in a screencap, should be considered an after production add on.
Bill Hunt
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent screenshots, Nexus6! Much better than my makeshift photos.

I think this question is similar to the whole on-going issue as to whether or not Deckard had a metal badge in his wallet. I appears to be well confirmed that he didn't have one. But logically, it doesn't make sense that he wouldn't. So creative individuals here have created "fantasy" badges for him that are very well done. More to the point here, it's clear that the slotted screw is screen accurate. But I actually like the functional look of the Weaver knob better. So it's really a matter of personal preference.

It's really related to the on-going debate as to how important screen accuracy is vs. logical/world accuracy. It depends on the individual collector. Having been around many actual movie productions, people forget that in many cases the original props aren't nearly as impressive as fan-made replicas and creations, which are often more durable and detailed. Based on my experiences here and elsewhere, it's clear that people who are fascinated with props and who make prop replicas tend to be very creative individuals. So you know, it's a matter of personal preference. Neither is really wrong, it's more about what makes sense to you. What impresses me about you guys that make these replicas, is that both options are available to collectors. So you CAN choose which you prefer.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bill, it's a matter of preference more than about what's right or wrong. I knew some guy's who wanted them so I looked into creating them to fill the demand...
As a supplier of Weaver Knobs in two sizes, created by snapping molds off originals (small for Snubs and large for all others) I can honestly say that I haven't experienced ANY "rush to get Weaver knobs".
I maybe recieve one order every other month or so...to date I think I've sold a grand total of 10. (I gave one of the small ones away as a Christmas Gift Very Happy )

The nifty thing is, if there's no demand or someone doesn't want to pay my asking price...then I don't have to make them or take the time to ship them!

Last edited by Once-bitten on Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once Bitten's work is excellent for anyone looking for cast metal parts.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well one thing to take into account is that according to the production team commentaries in the DVD set, the stuff in Deckard's apartment was filmed Early on. The only other views of that side of the gun in the film don't show it clearly enough to say if the slotted screw head was used consistantly throughout production or not.

If we can get a better picture of Deckard on the bus when chasing Zhora, we know that those scenes were filmed near the end of filming (at least in the Warners backlot set anyway).

I think if it fell off after production, it most likely would have been left off. It is also only something a propmaster or gunsmith would likely have lying around in a box. Otherwise I think it would have been replaced with a generic screw if at all. Maybe it happened on the last days of shooting.

It is at this point that I do feel a little annoyed that they actually darkened the print to keep it looking "noirish" instead of showing off all the details with the brighter print.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hirohawa...you are very kind to say so.
Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
If we can get a better picture of Deckard on the bus when chasing Zhora, we know that those scenes were filmed near the end of filming (at least in the Warners backlot set anyway).

Here's the best (& imo, ONLY) clear shot of the correct side of the piece, during the time frame in question:

Inconclusive, pretty much.

Here's another shot from Leon's retirement:

Meh.
steevy
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Andy.The Weaver is such an esoteric thing it's hard to believe it was thrown on as a replacement by a later owner,after all a slotted screw would be much easier to find.Didn't I hear that parts fell off the gun during production at least once?Since the thing is barely seen it may well have been changed during production.Update:After seeing the above screencaps the case for the Weaver is stronger.Those look more like Weavers than the slotted......
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a photo taken from the bus that shows the slotted screw head. It's in a Japanese magazine, I'll scan it in when I get home.

I'm pretty sure the slotted screw head is also from a weaver scope. Most scopes have an inset slotted adjustment not a knob to turn.

So, I think when the slotted screw came out or was lost, they needed a screw to match it, and any old screw from the hardware store would not work.

So the propmaster, or gunsmith, or the person who maybe owned it after production, found a scope adjustment to match the gaping hole, that happened to be the funky weaver knob.

There is also a chance the gun was meant to be used for another production, and they changed it.

Deckards double
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Theres me following the worldcon pics to craft my metal Sidkit and it turns out i should have left it as a screw head!
Now... where's that filler?
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... looks pretty slotty to me.

moogybaby
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
Yup... looks pretty slotty to me.

Yup, packed to the brim with pure slotty goodness!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that means I have to ID that 'knob' as well Wink It has to have the same threads as the weaver, and even though I have seen weaver knobs that were slotted, I have yet to see one that looks radiused (if that is a word?). We at least have a pretty good example of how it looks from the stunt castings. I still think the Weaver got put on before filming finished, but it almost doesn't matter if it was if it isn't seen on screen.

I wonder if it had function to keep the cylinder cover on? It would help explain why it was removed and replaced as well. Maybe the escaping gasses from the blanks being fired blew it off, and it was lost on set.
Masao
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty clear that; over time, things go through changes.

I'm sure that switch on the clip was a replacement too since it was made with an internal switch.

Not only is the prop 25 years old, but;

-It has not had a lot of maintenance in subsequent years with the current owner.

-Bad things happen to props during production (even heroes). (Ever notice that some of the gun's lights go out?)

-Emergency fixes during production often cause changes. "Whatever fits" can be the rule.

I would not be surprised to find that lots of repairs went into the gun during filming.

If screen accurate is in conflict with current accuracy, I think you really need to decide for yourself what your personal standards are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: