FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Hey all..new guy with a question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaneda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Hey all..new guy with a question. Reply with quote

First wanted to say hey to all on the board. This is the best site I have found bout the PKD Blaster. I'm in the process of scratchbuilding a PKD and I wanted to ask the members the best place to find amber PKD grips.
I wanted to find the most screen accurate amber grips for my build. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a machinist by trade, and have my own machines...finally! I have made several props over the years, mostly metal (steel and aluminum). So far I have tackled the pulse rifle from Aliens, the Flamer Sandman gun from Logans Run, and the Trigun Vash revolver. all of these are machined aluminum and steel, so I have been itching to make my own PKD...so I really need to find a good source for the amber grips.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for having me!

Kaneda
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there! I remember the PKD you were working one a while back and posted at the BBC--really nice work, did you ever get it finished or is this the same one?
kaneda

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Heya! Reply with quote

Hey Brian, good to here from ya. Still have that one, going to finish that one off, and start a new one. Hopefully mostly metal. I always end up with too many other things going on..other projects and work and all. Did get the grips done tho, made em out of MDF, contoured nice.
But, I need a source of accurate amber ones like the hero gun. If I can get a start on it, I'll post some pics. Good to hear from you again TT!

Kaneda
Mr_Creepy
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if they do "just parts", but your best bet on those would probably be Rick Ross (doppleganger) or Rich Coyle (racprops).

Glad to hear you got the "old one" finished up.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick (Ross) does excellent work (I think everyone knows how I gush over the dopplegangers) but Rich (Coyle) is really the person to contact about worldcon/hero gun/accurate grips.

I don't know him to sell only the grips, but if you PM him and ask, or well just ask.

YO RICH, do you sell the grips by themselves? Or, will you sell them to this fellow doing a scratch build?

Ham Salad
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Heya! Reply with quote

kaneda wrote:
But, I need a source of accurate amber ones like the hero gun.

Kaneda

Well, that really all depends on what you want to spend for them. There are lots of resin kits out there that are not too expensive ( around $100) with amber grips. You could buy one of those just for the grips, maybe sell the kit with opaque replacement grips later and recoup most of your investment.

If you want to save money, the cheap way to go would be to get some amber acrylic in 1/4" (or laminate it up to that if thinner) and then mill the
checkering on. I've had pretty good luck doing this with other projects by taking a knurling wheel, then just pressing into the heated acrylic. Do it before you do the final cutting and shaping, that way if you mess it up you can try again without wasting work.
DeckB26354
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Good to hear from you kaneda. I am also in the same situation when it comes to an accurate Amber colour for the grips! I think the Hero grips were just gorgeous and I have never seen anyone get close to that authentic look.

Please look at my earlier post 'NEW HERO PROP BUILD - work in progress'. As you will see I am beavering away to make as accurate a copy as I can to the origianl Hero and the grips are going to be my biggest problem!

The good news is that I have spoken to Rich Coyle and he is happy to make some more grips with his moulds IF I can come up with an accutrate material mix that looks good. So if we could all put our collective heads together and try out some ideas, I think we might just be able to pull it off. The thing is I really don't know where to start!! Someone mentioned an Epoxy mix to me some time ago.

Ham Salad perhaps you could give us more details on the "resin kits" you mentioned?

It's a challenge, but one I think a lot of us there would like to meet.
Phil Resch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I'm planning my blasters experiments too. I found a company that produce a very high quality resin, used even in aerospace manufacturers. It could be even colorized, but how we can achieve the right color?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: