FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
How to safely strip paint of the Offworld blaster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: How to safely strip paint of the Offworld blaster Reply with quote

Last weekend I was considering to repaint this blaster and started disassembling it. I tried non-acetone nail polish remover and it didn't work. None of the paint came off.

I really don't want to sand it since I'd never be able to get into the crevices and edges to remove all the paint and painting on top of the existing paint would make it look terrible in the end.

What solvents did you use (those of you that have done this)? Not sure exactly what type of paint this gun is painted with. I know probably paint thinner would do the trick but I don't know if it would eat off at the plastic (I know thinner corrodes some types of plastics).

Any advice would be appreciated!
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the metal parts you could probably strip it down with acetone or paint thinner without worrying. But acetone will definitely harm the plastic. You could always give the plastic parts a light sanding then prime them and repaint over.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is that the plastic parts, particularly the cover on the right side has (what I assume) is the safety molded in which has small ridges which would be very difficult if not impossible to sand into; it also has the flathead screw and knob and other small crevices that I wouldn't be able to sand off. The paint would just cake on top of the existing paint and detail would be lost (paint is already sort of caked in there as it is).

I really need to locate a type of paint stripper that is safe for this type of plastic (I think it's ABS but not sure). Optimally, I'd like to be able to submerge the parts in a small pool of this substance and then just wipe or brush the paint off; a toothbrush or similar would be excellent to get the paint off those small, tight areas.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I've ever had any luck with getting paint off of ABS plastic was non acetone nail polish remover and a lot of rags, toothbrushes, and elbow grease. I used the walgreens brand with the pink top btw.

Some of that chinese paint can be pretty resistant to most solvents I've noticed. I pooched more than one airsoft because that paint wouldn't come off and I resorted to paint thinner or acetone.

I read somewhere that someone used steel wool or one of those kitchen scrubbies to lift the paint off, but that did leave some scratches that had to be sanded out.

ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there svander,

I also tried non acetone nail polish remover on the underside of the metal frame as a test and it didn't do anything to remove the paint. However it did work on the silver buttplate.

Similar to you, I'm in the middle of repainting my OffWorld - I actually did resort to the sanding technique (using P400 Wet and Dry as I recall) and in most cases it took most of the paint off. In most cases I found I didn't need to go all the way down to the plastic so just took off the top most layer (leaving I assume to be a thin primer layer). As you mentioned some areas are difficult to sand (like the front of the magazine and the various knobs and stuff) - but I found with a slight sanding in the most prominent places, I could then apply the Halfords Primer and top coat without loosing too much detail (Halfords primer is fantastic stuff by the way - better than most modelling primers I have used - goes on so easy)

Well not sure this helps but there you go,

Chris
________
YAMAHA YZF-R1

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that Easy-Off oven cleaner will take paint off resin without damaging it. Not sure about how it would work on ABS, if that's actually what this blaster is made of.
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Loyalizer, Chris and superjedi.

I will try nail polish remover on the silver parts since apparently that paint will come off with it.

I'm going to try the Easy-Off on the remaining parts. I'll report back when I have tried it.

Here's hoping I don't melt my blaster... Exclamation
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this site that talks about EZ-off and abs.

http://www.maxxtraxxusa.com/Paint_Removal_from_Hard_Bodies.cfm

More info here about someone who did it:
http://forum.bikerscout.net/lofiversion/index.php?t2244.html
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Amish!

I'm going to try EasyOff. I do hope ABS is the material these plastic parts are made of (that's what I've heard but no way to know for sure).

I'll report back when I've tried it.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pine sol works for removing paint off of resin and plastic. Just let it sit for a few days and the paint nearly melts off. Doesn't work with metal though and it has to be regular/original pine sol and not the scented ones.
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
Pine sol works for removing paint off of resin and plastic. Just let it sit for a few days and the paint nearly melts off. Doesn't work with metal though and it has to be regular/original pine sol and not the scented ones.

I read that somewhere also. The thing is, this paint is HARD. It's almost like automotive paint so I don't think pinesol would do a whole lot to it. As far as I know pinesol is more likely to work on latex-based paints. This one has to be oil based which is a lot harder to remove.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have my gun handy, but I think that some of the plastic parts are actually molded that way and not painted. The metal parts should come clean with oven cleaner easy enough, as well as thinner. The plastic just may have to be painted over, and since ABS will not take most paints. You may need to use a coat of Krylon fusion as a primer coat.
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about yours Andy but all parts of mine are painted. Some are black plastic while others (the spacer between the ammo clip and barrel and the innards of the end of the receiver) are white plastic.

It doesn't look primed either since I was able to sand off a bit last weekend. My plan is to clean the paint off completely from the black parts, and the outer frame around the pistol handle, lightly prime them with Krylon fusion and then do very light coats with Krylon semi-flat black. I'm also doing the back of the grips with a can of Tamiya light smoke to darken them up a little.

After that, it's pretty much done. After tightening all the screws that needed it, the gun is super solid, no creaks or rattles (not even the cylinder cover) so the paintjob will finally make it display worthy, at least to me.
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I used Halford's Satin Black and the finish is superb - it has given a similar level of shing to the black parts like on the RC WorldCon - which I guess is a matt on metal kinda look very easy to use because I have found that some spray paints don't go on very easy - but it's pretty difficult to mess up with Halford sprays

I should have my OffWorld finished this weekend - just got a couple of last bits to do then put it back together again. So will post some piccies maybe on Sunday
________
Alaska medical marijuana dispensaries

Last edited by ChrisNightingale on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris where are you located? I've never heard of this Halfords paint. Where can I get it?
ChrisNightingale
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Ooops sorry for some reason I thought you were in the U.K. Well ignore my "Halfords" comments then - Halfords is a car/motorists shop in the U.K. where you can buy all sorts of things for cars (including spray paints) - someone else from the U.K. recommended them so I was gonna support their claim.
________
Bmw r 1200 rt history

svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisNightingale wrote:
Embarassed Ooops sorry for some reason I thought you were in the U.K. Well ignore my "Halfords" comments then - Halfords is a car/motorists shop in the U.K. where you can buy all sorts of things for cars (including spray paints) - someone else from the U.K. recommended them so I was gonna support their claim.

No worries man, now I wish there was a way for me to find that paint locally since I've read people like it a lot.

I'll give Krylon a shot. It's supposed to be specially formulated for metal and plastic. I hope it goes on easy like the Halfords.

The only things I'm painting is every black bit and the plastic frame around the bulldog grip. The butt plate and main gun frame, triggers, trigger guard etc are staying the way they are. So is the cylinder since that's covered and I don't mind it the way it is now.

Then I'm smoking the back of the grip frames to make them darker.

I was also toying around with the idea to sand off the whole handle area to make it round on the back and pointed towards the front, much like Rick's snub nosed PKD. I don't think it would be very difficult to do with the right tools but that's just a pipe dream for now. Very Happy
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever used Duplicolor paints? They're available at most car parts stores like Checker or Auto Zone and they give a really nice durable finish. Nice selection of colors, too. You could probably find 4 or 5 different shades of "black."
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's Duplicolor for chrome/steel color? I've never tried them myself, usually I just use the krylon stuff.

superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. . . don't think I've ever tried any of their metallics.
I've only used a couple of black shades and a midnight blue which I blended by misting to get a very dark blued gunmetal effect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: