FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The Deckard Trenchcoat by Rachael
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arc60
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, doesn't it look great? I'll post pictures of me wearing the jacket when I get it. Can't wait!
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I know exactly how arc60 is feeling right now.
Looking forward to seeing pics of you in your new coat!
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan,
I will be shipping your coat tommorrow and sending you the tracking number via PM...sorry about not doing it Saturday as I said I would...in all the commotion we quite simply forgot about getting ready for going out of town for Easter!
In the mail to you tommorrow! No excuses!! Very Happy
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
Exclamation Here's the latest Trench by Rachael. Exclamation This is in the heavier fabric as requested by Arc60, a much more rugged Trench Coat:

GAWD I LOVE THIS COLLAR!!!

Collar looks great up or down and stays where you put it!

Must....stop...reading this...thread.

If I hadn't just dropped a boat load of cash on a custom leather jacket, I have to say I'd be very tempted to risk my wife's ire by adding a third Deckard trench to my collection.

The Abbyshot, that's clothing, this is wearable art.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Loyal! Thanks for the feedback.
I wanted to ask you, since you actually own an Abbeyshot Trench and I have been making comments based on photo's of it...
Are my assessments of their collar accurate?
Hope it's not rude to ask but they haven't commented here for a very long while and I would really like to know.
Meg is still working on her new web-site and when it is up and running she will begin taking names for interest in her BR Trench (and OTHER things as well...pretty certain an Indiana Jones Shirt will be in that mix...I own one and let me tell you, it's awesome) Stay tuned!
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and with very little to-do, I bring you a little MySpace page. It will be updated often and followed shortly by a real website, but as in all things, one must do with what one has.

http://www.myspace.com/361131690

and yes, this is the place to call dibs on the next Trenchcoat. I will be posting pics and blogging about projects past, present and future. And now that I have internet at home, I will be checking this daily. Effective last week, I am now devoting a portion of my week solely to tailoring. A bit scary but if it goes south I can always live off of O.B. Idea

I can't say thanks enough to everyone for their feedback and encouragement; I know I'm never here but someone is always keeping me updated. So all I can say is here goes and no pushing.
The Loyalizer
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once-bitten wrote:
Hey Loyal! Thanks for the feedback.
I wanted to ask you, since you actually own an Abbeyshot Trench and I have been making comments based on photo's of it...
Are my assessments of their collar accurate?
Hope it's not rude to ask but they haven't commented here for a very long while and I would really like to know.
Meg is still working on her new web-site and when it is up and running she will begin taking names for interest in her BR Trench (and OTHER things as well...pretty certain an Indiana Jones Shirt will be in that mix...I own one and let me tell you, it's awesome) Stay tuned!

I remember posting a bunch of pics of my v2 Deck but I forget which thread that was in. I'll do a small repost here.

the v2 and v1 coats by Abbshot:

The collar on the Abbyshot coats.... When I first got the v1, this was before Rachael's coat was out there. So, its the first time you're seeing it not on film or DVD, and the ribbed fabric they use for the v1 coat collar looks pretty good, its certainly warm, and oddly enough, even though the ribbing on the v1 collar is way too small and kind of resembles corduroy, the difference in material between the collar and the rest of the coat, kind of gave it some of that screen look . The collar doesn't at first glance appear small, but it is. Once I got the v2 the small size deficiency of the v1 is immediately apparent. The v2 uses the same material as the rest of the coat in the collar, and size-wise its much closer to screen especially if worn turned up in the back.

the v2 collar:

Not bad, but nowhere close to screen accurate. Still a bit too short, and the stitching extends out past the collar hem.

On both versions, the collars hold their stand well, although the storm flap tends to, well flap if there's a stiff breeze blowing. Overall the collar stitching looks ok both near and far, but it is flat. In both the screen used and the one Rachael makes the ribbing on the collar is a prominent visual feature, and one of the first things you notice about the coat. Its really the first overall identifying feature so to speak.

the Rachael collar:

Very close to screen accurate both in terms of texture and size (the ribbing seems to me just a bit too big, but that could be the shadows making it look wider than it really is)

The other key differences are that the Abby collar is stitched all the way across the collar, where Rachael's has that hem which is not only better looking but more accurate. Also the cuffs on the Abby extend down about another 2-3 inches past the wrist straps and are not cuffed like the one in the pic from the noodle bar deleted scene (although Abbyshot probably would have included that detail if the Final Cut was out before they'd finished the v2). The one constant with their Deckard trenches are that they seem to run very long in the sleeves and bottom length. Too much so really for my tastes, I don't think the coat in the film came down to mid shin. The other difference is Rachael's flap pockets button down, where the Abbyshot does not. Not sure which version is screen accurate there, I never really paid that much attention to that particular detail. Although personally the button down is always better in my book.

So, I'd say your assessment is fairly accurate. I think the real key thing here is that Rachael's coat is a replica of what is seen on screen with a lot of attention to detail, where the Abbyshot is more like an ordinary trench coat based off what is seen on screen, with less emphasis on screen accuracy and more on everyday function. Again, I can't say how accurate a v3 would be now that they have access to better reference images.

But yeah there's the difference between something built custom one at a time, and something built in bulk for off the rack sale. Its a great off the rack coat, but to be honest, I didn't find it to be on par with their Matrix Lobby trench, which is made to your measurements. That coat is spot on to what you see in the film.

"We began to recognize in them a strange obsession..."

http://fcomin.cgsociety.org/gallery/
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachael wrote:

I can't say thanks enough to everyone for their feedback and encouragement; I know I'm never here but someone is always keeping me updated. So all I can say is here goes and no pushing.

Well, I can't say thanks to you enough for creating a piece of "wearable art" (someone else's phrase, but it's perfect) for me and others as well.
I honestly think it's the nicest piece of clothing I own, and I look forward to wearing it for years to come. Smile
Although it's been too warm for a trenchcoat lately (hitting the mid-80s already in AZ), there's always this fall to look forward to!
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard back from Alan since sending him his tracking number for his BR Trench...suppose he's sitting by his mail-box? Very Happy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rachel,
If you ever consider doing a "Batty coat" in the future, I'll be in for one, count on me ! (again, I'm not really a Deckard kind of guy, but the way you recreated his coat truly is amazing !!!)

Fred
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I am down for a Batty or even a Gaff coat you are ever so inspired Smile
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know, I love a challenge. But to completely not avoid the pun, sewing on leather makes me, well, batty. Last time I swore to never do so again for love nor money. Funny story I'll have to share sometime.

There are suitable substitutes though. Shall we say, replicant fabrics? And does anyone else find it odd that a film set in a time when animals were extinct has so much freakin' dead animals in it??
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that a Gaff Coat would be VERY do-able for the right customer, there are enough synthetic leathers out there that would work wonderfully...got any good reference pics Andy? Wink
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachael,
Have you done any research into Deckard's raw silk blazer?
That would make an excellent companion piece for the trenchcoat!
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Super,
Are you talking about the orangey-yellow Blazer he's wearing when he VK's Rachael?
We found great pics of the real one in the posession of a fan but never got around to making it.
Rachael did say it would be a piece of cake to do...
Rachael
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, we did plan to make the blazer but time ran short. It really came down to cutting corners on the trench vs purchasing a 'close enough' blazer at a charity shop.

Good call on the silk by the way! I was waffling whether it was nubby wool or nubby silk. I do have several reference pics and the beginnings of a pattern. Would definately be game for knocking out a blazer or two.
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was going by the description from the old Profiles in History auction which described the blazer as raw silk.

If you're up for "knocking out a blazer or two" I'd be up for taking one off your hands. Smile
arc60
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, my Rachael Blade Runner trench coat arrived on Thursday and I'm very very happy with it! This trench was made with the heavier fabric and it feels durable and tough. The first time I slipped it on, I realized that it fit perfectly. It's very cool! I've wanted my own Blade Runner trench for about a hundred years and I honestly thought I'd never get one. So thanks Rachael! Thank you Once-Bitten! This is a dream come true. (Now if only I knew whether the dream was MY dream or Tyrell's niece's...) Here's some shots of me wearing the jacket in my kitchen. Collar down. Collar up. Etc. When I first reached into the inner pocket, I discovered a card with handwriting on it. Nice surprise! I took a shot of that too. Anyway... the quality of the trench is wonderful... the stitching, the overall craftsmanship is professional and inspired. I wholeheartedly recommend a Rachael trench to anyone thinking about acquiring a coat of their own.

That's my dog's head where my left foot should be...

The lining is REALLY nice. Hard to tell in the photo...

Alan
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Congrats on your new coat! Looks superb. Very Happy
photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speechless, utterly speechless! this is obviously a labor of love. between you (Rachel) and Once-Bitten, you have come up with two of the apex prop pieces that a fan could enjoy.

while i own neither (well, i am waiting for the word to pull the trigger on the bottles) i am astounded and wait to see where this might go. can't decide on Deck's coat or Batty's - but its nice to see Rachel, that you marked an interesting contrast to the underlying message of the story - animals - and how pervasive the use of their skins was in the film (perhaps "fake? ... of course").

i think in a perfect world, i'd like both the Deckard and Batty trenches, but would never wear the skin of what was once an animal. please do keep us posted on your thoughts re: a synthetic Batty coat. i will skip meals for a month for one of those bad boys!

again - heartfelt appreciation for such dedication from two of the films greatest (and prolific) fans!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Costumes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: