FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Importing BR Blaster into Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corsair
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Importing BR Blaster into Canada Reply with quote

I have done some research on this matter.

The law (criminal code) is that you cannot import a 'prohibited device' into canada. A 'replica firearm' is considered to be a prohibited device. Under the criminal code, a replica is something at is

(1) not an actual weapon
(2) is made to look like to an existing weapon

and

(3) is not a reproduction of an antique weapon.

So the argument boils down to: does it look like an existing firearm? Now that is pretty simple: no. The BR blaster is a model of a movie prop and that prop was a non functioning construction of a fictional weapon.

That is the actual law but as we all know, the agencies that enforce the law have their own in house 'interpretations' of what the law is.

I went to the Canadian border services interpretation memos as well as those of the Canadian firearms centre and found this:

"Replica firearms, except for replicas of antique firearms, are prohibited and cannot be brought into Canada. Replica firearms are devices that look exactly or almost exactly like a real firearm but that cannot discharge a projectile or that can only discharge harmless projectiles. As a rule, to be prohibited, a device must closely resemble an existing make and model of firearm, not just a generic firearm. Many of these devices have to be assessed case by case."

So by their interpretation, an easy argument can be made that the BR blaster is not prohibited device.

Now, if only I can get someone to send me a Hartford blaster
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's called a DBA in Canada, or something else, a business license maybe, but if you set yourself up a business for film, be it prop building, video production, whatever, you can import any gun replicas you like into Canada.
Corsair
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is a consideration but wouldn't I then be required to submit corporate tax returns?

I just want 2 hartford blasters.

C
IGNITERS
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: sidkit in canada Reply with quote

once again ...never had a problem getting my sidkit in Canada,could it be that it was in pieces? of coarse I ordered a switchblade kit and told the shipper to leave out the spring and customs played with it ( blood on the envalope) and decided it was dangerous anyway ,when I contacted the shipper I was told that they would ship out a new one and 2 weeks later from Italy arrives a switchblade ,not a kit mind you ,but an actual switchblade loose in a lain envalope ( GO FIGURE HUH?) not what I ordered but it just goes to show that I think Customs playes it fast and loose with the mail .....lol
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what it entails in Canada tax-wise, but you don't have to be a corporation in the states to do business, you can be a sole proprietorship, etc.

But it probably is to much trouble. A friend of mine up there was chatting with me about some time back, and that was one of the suggestions we discussed.

Aren't there stores that sell airsoft guns up there? Maybe you can become a dealer without too much BS.

I guess it just depends on how badly you want to be able to ship things in hassle free. You can always gamble with customs, no doubt about it, and see what happens.
delorean
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here was my experience with the Off World blaster at the border. I decided to disassemble the gun ( brought some tools) into the US ( in the front seat of my car) and split the parts up in two boxes. One box just travelled with me back into Canada. Was just sitting in my backseat, loose parts. The other box I mailed to myself from the US post-office. This included mostly the plastic parts and put a note in the box and on the declaration sticker that these were replacement parts for a plastic toy replica. Screws and such I put in my car's center console. I had to import three other items as well. Now just have to wait for the plastic items to arrive and reassemble the blaster but after looking at the toy finish on it, I will refinish it and make it look proper, like a gun should look like. Just WAY to glossy for my taste. Real guns don't look like that!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: