FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Off World Blaster depriciation

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delorean
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Off World Blaster depriciation Reply with quote

The Off World blaster has a high gloss finish to it. I am to refinish it to gun metal flat. Will this refit devalue the blaster or make it worth a few dollars more if it is to resemble the real thing?
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as BR Gun replicas go, I think the Offworld was made in pretty high numbers. Monsters in Motion first advertised them as a run of 2,000. Not sure if that is totaly accurate or not, but that sounds about right for that type of project. Not equal to a full on "production run" for say a licensed product, but much more than a garage kit.

I think anything that can make one of these more unique, as long as it is well done, will add value. I am planning on customizing one of mine. I think they are diamonds in the rough. I say go for it.

Andy
docatomic
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's always too risky to speculate on collectibles, especially collectibles that have been modified. Their value depends too much on people's tastes -- and tastes can change with the wind. They're not like stocks, which have values based on a company's performance, or currency, which has value based on... well, I guess a country's GNP. (I've no idea, actually, but that's not really the point...) Collectibles have values based on whim -- does the object speak to someone? Does it speak to two people, so as to drive up the demand?

It doesn't have demonstrable, intrinsic value (unless it's made out of gold or something). Rather, its value is in the eye of the beholder. Smile

For all those reasons, I only buy what I like -- that way, I don't worry about whether I'll be able to resell it. And if I want to modify it, I do so. I don't worry at all whether it'll resell. After all, I didn't buy it as an investment, I bought it because I dig whatever it is.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Doc. I agree. I don't collect as a speculator myself. I buy what I like, or more so, what inspires me. If it stops inspiring me, then I might sell it.

If you are unsure about what kind of modification you are wanting to do for it then it would be wise to hold off untill you are. You can also practice/explore on lesser valuable items untill you you are sure of what you wan't.

I do understand that in this day and age though, it is difficult being patient when so much is available at a whim. I have ruined a few things not taking my time to fully realize what I needed and wanted to do before I did it. But in many cases in the process of fixing my mistake I came accross something better than my first intention. So don't be too afraid and hesitate too long if you really want to do it. The most important thing is that you are happy with it.

Good luck with it,
Andy
Judge Minty
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Off World Blaster depriciation Reply with quote

delorean wrote:
The Off World blaster has a high gloss finish to it. I am to refinish it to gun metal flat. Will this refit devalue the blaster or make it worth a few dollars more if it is to resemble the real thing?

I've been eyeing an Off-World blaster on ebay. It seems to have a gun metal finish, though the ones shown on Monsters in Motion look gloss black like you say.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220217847058&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Which is correct? As in what would I actually be getting?
superjedi
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Offworld is now offering their own "Worldcon" paintjob. If I remember right, they did a run of 130 blasters with this new paint scheme.
delorean
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: New paint scheme on OffWorld Reply with quote

This new paint finish gives it a more realistic "real gun" look for sure. I have a high gloss version and not 100% happy with it. I have however finished a PKD model and though with no moving parts, gun-metal looks really wicked. High gloss does not belong on guns. It looks toyish and for the weight of the OffWorld, the look has to match it. Would like to know when Off World did thiss 130 unit run on the blaster. Was not aware of different OffWorld blasters!!
Two-Guns Crowley
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offworld has these different finish Blasters on Ebay right now in the early stages of the release
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: