FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Siderio new worldcon replica
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Siderio
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serafino,
I am sure that you will buy one of my kit. And we will be able to improve it. Seen that I am the only one that are making my reputation on this cominity give me the right to make some mistakes. As I said I will be happy, in the near future, to upgrade the kit if necessary. I want add withouth you have to buy a complete new kit, but just the new part. Your layers are well, but sincerly they don't give to me a right poin oif view. Probably this is a my linimtation, but you really are sure of your overlayers angulations?

Thanks
Sid.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grips look crystal clear to me not translucent.

also quoted from Karl's first hand account:

"Grips, that's what we're talking about. Yes the "real" things are CLEAR, crystal clear. Not foggy or matte or anything at all like that, just pure 100% clear. You can even read the engraving on the grip frame thru them, for crying out loud."

This is also after sitting for 25 years so it would have been even clearer more crystal back then.

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that shape is coming together nicely.

I do want to say that I am on the side for the 'Crystal Clear' grips over the 'Opalescent'. I think the thing that impressed me the most of the pictures of the worldcon gun was how clear the grips were compared to any replica seen before. Since you can read the Registration numbers on the bulldog frame I would have to say they are pretty darn clear. Whatever the material is, it seems to have a lot of density and therefore greater refraction of light inside it reflectiong off any flat interior surfaces. Also the black frame underneath seems to darken the color but also show the refractive reflections (not easy to say) like a prism, even more so.

Andy
Serafino
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sidkit,

I have lots of respect for your ability to create these kits. All of us have the 'right' (or the curse Wink ) to make mistakes. I am not interested in keeping track of mistakes made by honest people, I am only interested in helping increase the accuracy of replicas.

I was trained as a realist artist, so I am used to comparing proportions and alignments, it was this tendency that has led me to make photographic comparisons in order to prove and quantify my perceptions to the greatest possible degree.

The angle of view in the first photo comparison I posted is NOT precise as I did not take the photo. But I think some differences are so extreme that it doesn't matter--it is still clear that more work needed to be done on the accuracy of that version.

The second photo is very carefully aligned for angle. The small ways in which it does not line up may reflect the ways in which shrinkage has affected the proportions and fit of the parts. The large differences (for instance the grips) are IMO clearly differences between that pre-worldcon Coyle and the prop, that is not lens distortion you're seeing, the distance to the camera was carefully chosen to match the perspective effects in the prop photo.
Siderio
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all agree to crystal, crystal will be. However opalescent will not mean you will be to not read through it, I said more opalescent meannyng that they are not a murano glass and seen the age of the gun probably they are more opaque.You saw the other grips I amde they are really crystal and seem that are too transparent. Serafino I was saying that I didn't understand were you seen the not right shape or wrong measures. It is better that I post an image perpendicularly of the grip with near the ruler so you can advice me. I can restart to make the grips restarting from zero if necessary.

Siderio.
Siderio
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I sais to obtain my grips measures I didn't use to scale a picture and then shape them. I took the line that compose the rhonbus, I made a complete surface on the grips and then, sure not exactly because it is impossible to do, I made my grips shaped. Karl posted an image with his hands measures and very clearly wrote under the image "approximate measures". Now using Karls' image you can have approxymate measures, as you can see from the images I scaled the Karl's images to obtain that my caliper measure exactly 5 cm. I used the three fingers under the trigger guard as fixed poin of referement. So we obtain these measures:

Karl's.......SIDERIO'S measures
55mm.............55mm

Karl was right, he said: "Also my fingers are arranged in 3-D space, and while I was trying to "project" the measurements into a flat plane when I used the calipers, my guesses may not have been very successsful."

This don't mean that my measures are totally wrong, this mean that probably Karl's hands measures are differents. I have to be hones and say that in my last image I posted I put over the image my grip. You can note that the butplate result more smaller. So at the and I can say that my grips are probably a bit bigger and I can estimate 3mm. So this is for me an acceptable work. Also I want add that I am height 1,89 Meters and my hands are big and I handle it very confortably.This to say to all big hands that you'll be happy of the handle.

Sid.

Heat2237
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like a perfect copy.
Batty
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sid,

Aren't we a nit-picky bunch.

I know it must be a bit irritating to get all these little suggestions and corrections to your work.

I just wanted to say that this is a very exciting project, I don't think it's ever been done like this before.

To have all the prop fans contributing their knowledge and being part of the whole design process is fantastic.
As a result I'm sure we will have created, through you, the most accurate replica ever.

I hope you will have patience with us.

I Can't wait to see it! (and purchase it)
Serafino
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siderio--like I said, I'm not sure if my concern is valid. Are any of the previous pictures showing your version made with these new grips?

If not, then my concern was sparked by outdated photos. Certainly your comparison to the photo above is very persuasive.

At any rate, the principles I mentioned are easily enough applied, and at a glance it certainly looks like your new grips relate correctly to the parts of the gun in the photo, so congratulations!
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serafino

Thanks for adding your detailed overlays to the process. It is fascinating how many details emerge.
Siderio
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serafino,

I didn't say you are wrong. For me you had right. I only need the time to show all my progress. I need more time to understand wath the other people means and then show my progress. It was also my fault because I post wrong angle of view and have not had the time to detailed explaine the images misures. Now I made my point of view more clear. You are welcome. I apreciated your work, and I didn't want to offend you in any way. Some time I only defend my point of view and try to show it better to everyone. as I said the grips I Made are not perfect and I am sure that in the future they will be improved.

I hope you will be one of happy customer of mine Very Happy

Siderio.
Serafino
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siderio–we’re just talking, no offense taken or intended. Smile

Hirohawa–my pleasure. Glad to know it helps.
KarlBud420
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wow! This is some amazing work and collaboration going on!

I am also glad that you have decided to carry on and I'm surprised at how quickly you are working Siderio.

Do you ever sleep? Laughing

It took me 3 months to build one of your kits with just the time I had on the weekend but you are making an almost completely new model right before our eyes in a couple of weeks.

Would it be too obsessive to engrave the "6084" (and I think there is a 3 at the end) on the gun frame so it can be seen through the grips?

Bruce
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siderio,

Awesome stuff. I am not sure what everyone else thinks, but I think the below picture is perfect:

Nexus6
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amish wrote:
Siderio,

Awesome stuff. I am not sure what everyone else thinks, but I think the below picture is perfect:

^Agreed.^
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Siderio has correctly hit on the key point I was trying to make. I had listed a bunch of measurements, but they are somewhat imprecise. THe most accurate of these measures I think was the 55 mm across my fingers that are curled around the grip.

Well done!

- K
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW not to complain but what I had in mind with the measurements is, you're supposed to measure across the tips of those brackets... measure between the spots they are pointing to.

svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phase pistol wrote:
BTW not to complain but what I had in mind with the measurements is, you're supposed to measure across the tips of those brackets... measure between the spots they are pointing to.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but assuming that print of Karl's photo is 1:1 scale which would be hard to determine, aren't the measurements wrong? Isn't the 94mm actually measuring 90mm while the 55mm actually measuring 40mm?
phase pistol
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well ideally the image should be printed out such that when you lay a ruler across it, it measures the same as I wrote there.

As I pointed out, the 55mm across my knuckles is the most reliable measurement, so ignore all the rest, print the pic so that you get 55mm when you measure the print between the two points I called out in yellow there... and it should be close to 1:1.
Siderio
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the next few days I will be busy because I will go out of town for some tests on my bullet prof work. So I will post some more progress late. ..and karlbud420, about obsession or not obsession I think there will be no problem to mark the 6084 numbers.

Talk to you soon
Sid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: