Forum Index      Log in  Register
So long and thanks for all the fish.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
This forum is open to all and many here behave as so many others do on every other fan board. I have been learning to take it all with a grain of salt and try very hard not to behave the same way. The medium itself seems to help create this type of behavior, and we all have to try and just keep ourselves cool and not take it all so personally.

I do find however that after weeding through all the chuff, there are often some good points I may have not considered. So I try and focus on the good stuff as much as I can. Believe me though I am far from perfect too. In the end though it is supposed to be a hobby, but since it is underground making it the focus of your life is usually a mistake. Also jumpinng on and off bandwagons only seem to give us broken ankles.

I do wish people here would be better than those on other boards, but that is impossible to do without making this into a rule laden autocracy.

I say lead by example if you can. I know it is hard because it is human nature to mirror those you are communicating with, but if you can, maybe you can get them to mirror you.
Your right.

Last edited by tain669 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: So long and thanks for all the fish. Reply with quote

racprops wrote:
Well it seems all my non-friends are all here to rake me over the coals once again.

(Damm it where did I put the Nuclear Detonator ???)

I use the term non-friends as I do not think of you as enemies, just as someone who does not understand me or is messed up and I do not understand.

Or for a few who have a axe to grind and I am flavor of the month.

Or a few I would not take shit from and who can not handle that either.

Or who think I am someone else and I did not live up to my fame.

What ever.

I do not go out of my way to make non-friends, I do go out of my way to make friends and I really do try to keep them if at all possible.

All I wanted to do was make the best props I could and to A) Share them with friends and B) Make a living doing A).

Mind you, I did hope to get Rich, I just tried to make a living. Lord know no one got rich MAKING props.

You get rich going to Hong Kong and getting cheap props and selling them for tons of money.

How I got so many non-friends is a little beyond me.

There are a few things I can not stand, being ripped off, being told I was not ripped off.

And I don’t like taking shit from anyone.

Well it has been 30 years and I had more fun and less trouble so it was a good thing.

I was on the sets of Star Trek and saw props I made in many films and TV shows.

It has been good.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Rich
No truer words every spoken
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True? Based on what?

tain669, I would ask you how long you have known RACprops? Have you met him in person?

I have known RACprops since 1979. I can say he has a certain consistancy to his practices. True is hardly accurate. Odd how nothing is ever his fault.
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong but you know I don't want to judge anyone here anymore.case closed.Thanks
SLK
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, just curious.

You are correct as this is a deviation from the purpose of this board yet I hope you understand RACprops invites this reaction with his posts.

It's just that I read his first post in this thread and know the answers to some of what he said.

Back to prop discussion is fine by me.
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is he treated fairly with me I dealt with him.I really wish that people myself included will just keep money/business off the board. and we treat one another with some respect.Thats all
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tain669 wrote:
All I know is he treated fairly with me I dealt with him.I really wish that people myself included will just keep money/business off the board. and we treat one another with some respect.Thats all

While a nice thought, the fact of the matter is that Rich's main reason for visiting the boards is (generally) to drum up business and to make money. So, if you keep money and business off the board, there's no real impetus for him to come by.

As others have mentioned, Rich digs these holes for himself (usually every year or two). He then plays the martyr, "Nobody appreciates my contribution. You're all against me." and disappears for a while. Later, when he's got a new model to sell, he reappears and wants all to be forgotten.

I'm not saying that he's a bad guy, because I don't know him outside of the way that he presents himself on the boards. What I will say is that he's very proud of his accomplishments (as well he should be), but seems to only want to rest on his laurels - producing the same piece (with refined details every few years), without improving the base product to match (in fit, finish and durability) what his competition (both direct and indirect) can turn out. He then gets upset when people try to tell him a truth that he doesn't want to hear.

As far as folks here treating each other with respect, I think that they do a fine job, most of the time. Take a look through the history of threads here, and I believe that you'll find very few examples of respectful posts not being returned in kind.

Your turn around from your "bad day" with its accompanying apology are a great start towards re-establishing yourself amongst the community here. Others seem to be receiving it in the spirit in which it was given and I hope that continues.
Anson James
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tain669 wrote:

He accepts payments other than paypal then?

As far as respect goes you obviously missed the post where Mr Coyle compared his competition to a convicted sex offender.
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit I don't know all the info on this but i know if was fair with me in dealing with him.But that was about two years ago as far as this subject goes..I'm just stated he was fair with me.If there is more to this then please point me in the right direction and I'll look at what you have to say.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known Rich for over 2 decades, met him when I was still a beat cop and he was doing a convention on my beat. Sure, Rich is a ... character (working in LaLaLand may do that) and acts in an eccentric manner at times, but who doesn't have a personality quirk here and there? I'm no apologist for Rich, sometimes I think he needs a housecall from Dr. Phil or a 2x4 upside his skull, but in his business dealings I think the overwhelming majority of people who have done business with him agree that he has a reputation of delivering what you pay for, fixing things (even if the purchaser abused it) for free, giving advice, improving the product when new info or production methods are developed, etc.

Sure, he gets ranty over re-re-re-recasting allegations and competition, etc. but he still brought us the first viable Blade Runner blaster (in addition to his other genre prop replicas).

At the end of the day, Rich is still OK in my book. I probably agree with most of the complaints about Rich's behavior, especially in the past couple years (hey, we are ALL getting older) but what you see is what you get. I don't believe he tries to mask what he feels, what he thinks or what he is. Rich is Rich. While there are folks who openly criticize him, mock him, and otherwise demonize him...how many more are out there who remain silent but display with pride something they bought from him?

Hate him if you choose to, respect him if you feel he deserves your respect, but I'd like to ask him to stay on this site. It's not a popularity contest. If you don't like/agree with what he says, don't read his posts. If you don't like his product, don't buy. If you think he's a nut, send him a squirrel.

Rich, stay. Don't be run out of Dodge by the naysayers. Cowboy up.

To those of you who dislike Rich or his practices, PLEASE do not get angry at me for speaking my peace here. I am not defending Rich, per se, but I am defending his right to be...Rich. I would do the same for any of you.

Last edited by eltee on Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
tain669
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really tired of all this infighting here.Especially the personal attacks on those like myself.I want to get info and try to be neuteral in this but when I spoke my peace and offered appologizes to those I offended I was attack on some pretty personal levels. I really respect Rich and I vaule him as a friend but when it come to stuff like this you really can't blame him.Disagreements are on thing but when the converstion turns rude that pretty much the bottom line.I'm gulity and I make no bones about it. I hope other can say the same and we can all move on.
jhyphen
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll throw in my two cents, too. I became acquainted with Rich back in 1996, around the time Paramount sued him. I helped him out of a jam, which ended up working to our mutual benefit. Over the years I grew tired of what I perceived to be his belief in his own press notices, much of which were contrived by his friends and handlers (myself included). I also grew tired of what I perceived to be a sense of petty greed on his part. Often I believed he would nickel and dime himself out of potentially lucrative deals. Or as my dad puts it, he tripped over quarters to pick up nickels....

But as Gary observed, find me a perfect person without some idiosyncrasies or outright flaws...I dare you to try. I joined the bash Rich bandwagon myself around the time of the controversy surrounding Phillipes and his BR mafia antics over the Worldcon pictures. But when I put it all on balance, Rich has given me a lot of swag as thanks for the help I gave him, and I think he's mostly a harmless guy who deserves credit for his role in making replicas available when the hobby was in its nascency.

I think that some of the bashing is well out of proportion to his foibles, real or perceived, and I think it reflects the tribal nature of our hobby, as well as the unfortunate human tendency to put people on a pedestal only to relish knocking them down later.

I may believe that some of his tendencies run toward "penny-ante", and his most recent cry for validation over at the RPF is pretty sad and silly, but I've observed him to be an honest business man and undeserving of some of the vitriol he inspires.

For my part, I apologize to him, because I've been unduly hard on him myself, when I should have just accepted him as he was.

If he gets worked up over the competition, maybe the best thing is to let him fight his own battles, rather than picking up a pitchfork and taking sides....
racprops
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. As Jhyphen so important to me I will respond.

I want you to see me in the best light, so the:

"his most recent cry for validation over at the RPF is pretty sad and silly"

Is two years old and WAS REALLY just to see if I had REALLY done some wrongs to anyone. Please read the first post.

Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> News from around the hobby All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: